MIT Sophomore Arrested at Logan For Wearing LED Device

Wow, that was really really stupid to go into an airport like that. She must have known they take stuff like that seriously.

You would think MIT graduates would be smarter then that. :)

But still, since it is not the real deal she should not be punished too harshly. Maybe a bit more then a slap on the wrist, but not more then a hard slap. :lol:

She might just be making a point there. Not wise, but courageous in a sense. Just how far are we going with advertisement.

I saw this footage of genetic modified fish that glow with advertisement in dark, very very disturbing if you ask me... :sick:

I know in the end what she did wasnt dangerous but we are talking logan. It was though a circuit board on the outside of her clothing not just an led t-shirt. This is the airport the hijackers took off from 6 years ago. Its not like the heightened state of awareness/security hasnt been in the news etc for her to know that they might not see the joke in what she did. This is the town that arrested and fined the people who placed those elec thing for the aqua teen hungerforce movie (the biggst waste of cellulouse ever btw) so again its not like she shouldnt have known it would not go over well. She frightened alot of people needlessly. She must have known by bringing the play doh what she would look like. She could have left the playdoh home. She was either incredibly stupid or arrogantly believed that being an MIT student would protect her. Either way she deserves what she gets imho.

I live a tourist town 3 hours north of Boston and 90 minutes away from Portland ME. The hijackers drove through our town that fateful AM. They may have even stayed at a hotel in my town overnight. After 9-11 and that info came out I can tell you we tend to look at certain strangers ALOT closer now. It scares me a bit to realize that my sleepy town had contact with those people who killed innocents all in the name of religion. I have family who live in NYC near/in manhattan and friends who may have been in the pentagon area or atleast live in DC and work for the military. A co workers husband was on a buisness flight in the air during this all (he retired soon after , neither he nor she ever wanted that sit to happen again) . It was a very scary time here, even 8 hours away from NYC in a rural sleepy little town of less than 25k people. So I dont blame logan or boston for thier actions.

Boston gets a bad rap for thier paranoia but you know they made an honest mistake in being too lienent and not questioning strange things and let the hijackers through 6 years ago to everyone's sorrow. I think thier mentallity now of "never again" is appropriate and if that means that they cant take a joke and they come down hard on those that dont see the reason for thier scrutiny & etc - tough. Logan and polices reaction to this incident isnt that different than I think glasgow airport reaction would be or the train stations in Madrid and London.

As I think this 'could' potentially stray into a political discussion I'm moving it into the Daily Grind Area where people can have a little more freedom of expression regarding their own personal life views :sick:

A very interesting read and a tough call on both sides of that issue here. It's the play doh that makes me wonder if she was acting in a thoughtful and considerate and manner...especially in an airport.

:sick:

gogo

It's a real shame that a tragic experience has shaped reactions such as the ones Star A. Simpson is recieving. In a time say 8 years ago things may have played out differently. However I agree with the actions taken. If anything, to teach others to take utmost caution and respect the airports that so many other people use.

Circuit board + Play-Doh? I'd have to say IMO she was either tragically thoughtless or disgustingly selfish... :sick:

She was an idiot >_>.

Sorry if I'm totally unsympathetic, but firstly I think it was her own stupid fault, and secondly that the airport did the right thing!

*insert unsympathetic smiley here*

dry4hz.gif

~Doom

Edited by TimOfDoom

Being considerate is always tough, especially when doing something that we think is funny and that others don't. It's always wiser to tread carefully when carrying around what could be considered a big stick by others. I've always been careful with stunts and humor that way. The world is big and it seems like we only realize how big it is when something we think is funny isn't considered to be funny by others. Let's just hope she's learned something from this and moves forward with a more wary and cautious understanding of how other people feel around her. Nothing's really as simple as peeps can think they are, and being respectful is always a great way to go.

:sick:

gogo

Guest FrostElfTwin

The Play Doh did it for me too.

I can see her forgetting what she's wearing if she'd worn it for a few days (2 days?).

However, the Play Doh just looks too explosive.

I think she's trying to point out how stupid the authorities can be. However, she doesn't understand that security can be life and death. When the stakes are raised that high, people can make some very tragic decisions. She is lucky to be alive.

One guy in London who was suspected of being a terrorist was shot in the head and killed in London. His crime? To come out of a building where suspected terrorists lived (how would he know) and have a backpack. He also was middle eastern.

Tragic mistakes happen when people are very nervous.

Given how many people are working towards security, it is no wonder there is no end of stories about boobish, dopey security behaviour.

Bruce Schneier has an excellent blog about security and he posted a link (probably in the August 15th newsletter) about the head of the Pilots org talking about airport security. The main point is: the planes are left unlocked over night...relatively unguarded. Anything could be put on board overnight. Pretty scary.

A KLM steward got quite chatty with me and another passenger and he told me that KLM's people need to be onboard an hour before take off and they quiz one another before each flight about security. If one of the gets ONE question wrong, that person can't fly that day. ONE question.

Looks to me like Ms. MIT knows she's smart and wants a splash.

OK, first of all, nobody is saying Logan Security did their job bad, even, I think they have handled it pretty well.

But the justice attorney reaction was ... IMhO inadequate. I just don't see the point of charging her with such a bail (initially). I do realize her actions were .. at least "reckless," but she had no bad intentions and I see no point of her being treated harshly. There is a difference between terrorism and acting stupid. The first, or even suspicion of the first, should be dealt seriously and with no hesitation, but threating the later as the first is just ... WAY UNACCEPTABLE THAN THE ACT ITSELF. Every healthy society needs those good-willed law breaker that will tell us when we've gone too far, and I don't think they need to be punished severely. At least in this case, punishment is not the way to convince people to accept certain behaviour. From my experience, enforcing a rule on an intelligent being (and particularly, on a EC(Star's dormitory) student) just doesn't work.*

The other thing that bothers me is MIT's reaction. This is not the first case for the last year, in which they strictly differentiate themselves from a weird behaviour of one of their students. Strange and creative people, that disregard authority and break common social habits, are the core of this community and, in a sense, are what makes MIT MIT. I will repeat myself that her actions are wrong, and should not be tolerated, but MIT need not to "punish" her before the courts decision is out.

=======

* As a very simplified example I'd just point myself. When I started writing in this forum, I used a lot more ... vulgar language that it was appropriate, and I used it as a protest against the poshness and the conservatism of certain "high class" people. But after a few edited post by Claire, and a PM (which really made me ashamed), I definitely change my behaviour and speech, at least when I am outside. I started watching for children around even when I hang out with friends, so I know when to censor my jokes, I see a lot of commercial (in Bulgaria mostly) extremely inappropriate due to the sexual content, and... something I'd never do before that (I know I need to grow up, but I still want to be the "good rebel" and I'm resisting (still) the growing-up part). Plain and simple: if she had simply forbid me the use of that language, I'd have just restrict myself to the OGame part. Instead, I'm happy and thankful to her :D

ps: That I call the power of manipulating people :D You don't need to force someone to follow the laws, just make them believe following them is what they want :PPP

pps: I'll be the evil ruler of Mars some day, so "Be ware, earthlings!"

Really interesting thread here and the ideas generated from it.

One guy in London who was suspected of being a terrorist was shot in the head and killed in London. His crime? To come out of a building where suspected terrorists lived (how would he know) and have a backpack. He also was middle eastern.

He was Brazilian Frosty, Jean Charles de Menezes left his flat (which was under surveillance for undisclosed reasons) he went to Stockwell Train station was confronted by plain clothes police (armed) and getting onto a north bound train and then shot shot dead (five shots to the head). :D

Dick...Thank you for your words and I am really glad you did stick around and keep us all interested in your thoughts and ideas :D

Wow, just wow. She’s lucky that she’s still alive. And the 750$ bail is not much considering the circumstances. This would have her arrested even here in Hungary. And if she was trying to make a point about the overly paranoid security, Play-doh at Logan is just not the way to do it. The message is lost somewhere, and it all comes down very poor attention seeking. And sheer stupidity

Based on what she has stated were her reasons for doing this the reaction to her actions might seem over done but let me put her actions in a different light :

The highjackers from 9/11 rode the airlines on many previous flights to get down timing, logisitics and to test bringing box cutters, etc on board. If they had been questioned thier answer might have been, "oh I forgot I had that in my pocket" . In hindsight we would all know that wasnt true, that they instead intentionally brought them with them.

While I'm fairly sure this is just a intelligent but common senseless MIT student what about the next person? Islamist extremists are known for suicide bombers. Its not a long leap to imagine they might try it here in the US. Its also not a long shot to imagine them testing how far a bomber could get before being stopped by wearing a fake bomb.

And lastly a stong legal reaction to her actions will discourage others from also trying this stunt.

Beyond that I've been to logan. IT didnt strike me as in the middle of anywhere that she could walk to it from MIT so she probably rode public transportation to Logan. How many people went past her and didnt say anything or notice? If that had really been a bomb that is a scary thought. I've seen the pics from the london bombings where the bomb went off in the bus... Boston public transit is used by everyone from babies to seniors, all the time. If she drove there are attendants at the gates, etc where she would have parked that should have done something more.

That and just how far into logan she got absolutely scare me. The next person to try this might not have such innocent intentions .

Well here is a real kicker too speaking about Airport stupidity.....

My sister in law just went to Hawaii this past week and bought my daughter a snow globe. When she went to board the plane with her BF the stupid airport security wouldn't let her bring it home They're excuse was it could be an explosive. Come on now Give me a BREAK. How Far is To FAR with the FAA.

Yes I know things have gotten tough since 9-11 But GEEZE some of the security measures are just out right dumb and stupid.

So, the Play-Doh was actually in the form of a rose, she wanted to give to her boyfriend. And she wasn't playing with it, neither the police has filed that in the report.

@Genenut: Carrying a circuit board or play-doh in your hands shouldn't bother you. I'm much more afraid of someone drawing out a weapon than a student carrying some LED device in her/his hand. I do believe that going to the airport with it is not a very clever idea, but walking around in Boston or in the T? Dunno, I might me too gullible, or used to seeing a lot of strange things, but, in my opinion people shouldn't be judged for their unorthodoxy.

@Erialc: :lol:

Edited by dicknail