BeoWulf

Katran

I was looking for new upcoming movies when I ran into Beowulf. I didnt know that it was coming out or that there was a moive made on the subject.

The cast line up looks great and after I saw the trailer I wanted to see more. It has the feel of 300 and it at list to me feel a lot of fantasy based.

Here is the trailer:

http://www.imdb.com/video/editorial/me60340887

and the official web page:

http://www.beowulfmovie.com/

Just so you know, they apparently eviscerated this and made it PG-13 (at least in the U.S.). Not expecting much from the theatrical release as a result. :(

I saw the commercial for this. It looks like one of the best movies. Ever.

They always looks like that on trailers.

LOL, not because of that. Because I have read the book, in its original and translated form. I even memorized its first chapter in Old English. It is likely that my ancestors fought along side of Beowulf, so I am really hyped for this movie. I almost never go to movies in the theater (have not been to one since this spring), but for this one I will make exception! :bow:

Go Beowulf. :):yay:

• 3 weeks later...

Same here, but I didn’t expect it to be any good, so Im not disappointed

tbh I can’t remember the last time I loved a movie :P

edit:

I remember now: I loved Sky One’s television adaptation of the Hogfather :P

OK, I saw Beowulf on Thursday night. It is animated, and the main characters are animated using the images of the voice actors. So the main characters look really realistic. The rest of the characters and 'extras' tend to be pretty marginal. In fact, I couldn't help but think of Thief: The Dark Project. A great PC game, but not the best animation ever. In addition, Robin Wright Penn plays the Queen, and they reduced her age for the first portion and she looked really stiff and wooden. After she grew older and was more her own age, she looked much more realistic.

As I noted in an earlier post, this was made PG-13 in the US. As a result, there is no real nudity, and that is a bit of an issue. In the beginning, Beowulf lies naked, waiting for his first opponent. They keep having people and objects blocking the view of Beowulf's crotch. It reminded me eerily of Austin Powers . . . which was a joke. This did not appear to be meant to be funny, but it was REALLY distracting because it was so obvious. Of course, for Angelena Jolie's character, they didn't cover her, they just smoothed her out like a Barbie Doll. It was a little odd.

The story itself was really good, but the animation really detracted a bit from it, as did the rating.

As I noted in an earlier post, this was made PG-13 in the US. As a result, there is no real nudity, and that is a bit of an issue. In the beginning, Beowulf lies naked, waiting for his first opponent. They keep having people and objects blocking the view of Beowulf's crotch. It reminded me eerily of Austin Powers . . . which was a joke. This did not appear to be meant to be funny, but it was REALLY distracting because it was so obvious. Of course, for Angelena Jolie's character, they didn't cover her, they just smoothed her out like a Barbie Doll. It was a little odd.

I agree completely. If you want PG, fine just have Beowulf wears underwear. It is awful how they have done it instead... it cheapened everything just to "protect" his crotch so to speak. :D

• 8 months later...

I just saw this movie last night... AWESOME. I was giggling about fifteen minutes into the movie... all that cool blood and gore, and the way grendel was conceived...I was hooked right off. I've never read Beowulf, thought I've heard so much about it. As Ike said, it's the story that's the great thing here. The idea of this daemon going through this...forever? Is that how this is set up? That the kings of the land are all in some sort of way indentured to a devil/daemon?

heh, I never realized it was going to be this sort of animation. I did some reading about it, and this way of imagining movies... using actors (for now) and then enhancing them with digital coveralls... when do you guys think they're going to drop real flesh and blood actors wholly?

I mean... some actors like Cruise charge in excess of ten million a pic. As animators and programs get better and better... can you see a world where peeps begin to compete with each other by creating virtual actors with the best expressions, characters and voices? And then having directors bidding or "renting" these, er... animactors?

Anthony Hopkins' animation was just awesome. There were some times when his character moved in a way that just made me blink because it was that close to how I remembered Hopkins acting.

Yes, I loved Beowulf. It was almost that same feeling when I watched Final Fantasy the first time. I felt like I was watching something new and exciting, if not important.

So...is there a sequel to Beowulf yet?

:)

gogo

p.s. biggest surprise... pg 13 rating ...huh?

This movie's so gruesom, Lord...and pretty gory. The first fifteen minutes of Grendel having his way in the Mead Hall... extraordinary. Make sure your kids aren't around when you're watching this.

gogo

OOOH, abominable dr. phibes....loved that movie! Saw it when I was a kid...the locusts are enough to make one go mad

phibes.jpg

gogo

I was able to buy it on dvd in wide screen and the sequel

B0000542CM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by Lord of the North
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess it could be...depending on what you're able to appreciate, or what you're in the mood for. At the time I saw Beowulf, I was kind of starving for a grand special-effects laden feast...and this offering fit the bill perfectly. Check out Robert Zemeckis's line up of movies he did. There's a lot of winners in there, which would indicate, at least to me, that's got a feel for what's going to be appreciated at a certain time.

Mark of a good director?

:D

gogo

Hmmm ok you've won me over I might watch it this evening! :D

And its only a 12A (children under twelve must be accompanied by an adult) over here, anyone over twelve can go unaccompanied

~Doom