My vote for the most useless set bonus

I've read a few things about Fear Animals, that obscure set bonus from the Lloranth(sp?) set for the Wood Elf. I was playing with my Sword only WE and was considering what set to give her. What set for a pure Melee, sword only WE? No really, I'm asking.

Well I thought about Lloranth. It seems to have nice pluses to attack and some usefull Combat Arts. I'm not too happy with the reduces gold bonus.

So Gial was kind enough to part with a couple of pieces, bringing me within two pieces of completing my set. This also granted me the fear animal bonus.

So I headed out to my favorite quest--the 'Orcs' quest in porto vallum. I made quick work of those guys and removed one piece of my set. I entered the pen of cows and watched as they stood around. I replaced the set piece and the cows started to run around, seemingly upset(well as fast as cows can run).

I removed the piece and they settled down again.

I started talking to gial who mentioned that this may have been designed to work with transformation.

Hmmmmm.

I traded in a few runes and got myself a level 2 transformation. Removing the armor once more I found a few grays and transformed them. They sat around without a care in the world. Putting the set back on caused them to attack me. They were not doing any damage but I could see the attacks.

New enemies, same test. They ran a short distance away and stopped.

But the normal, non-enemy animals were reacting like crazy.

What possible use can we make of this?

Do we really gain anything from the "let it snow.." bonus either? it's just effect you can't even see if your graphic settings are on lowest.

I was always told that the snow slowed the enemies down, never notice this for myself though. Perhaps if it snows long enough she can build a snow man :sick:

Some would say Relmin's Armor bonus for BM's as BM's don't get the armor skill. But, brothers and sisters I am hear to tell you that the BM, while not graced by the selection of armor, does have an armor bonus hidden away in his stats. I have been to the promised land and I have seen that bonus.

And brothers and sisters I can tell you, that if you complete the set and you look at your list of bonuses and you see that you have +to armor; just hover your mouse over the stats close to the bottom and lo and behold it shall be revealed unto you. And verily I tell ye that if you do hover your mouse and you do see the hidden armor bonus, you will see the difference in your armor bonus because of the Relmin's set. :sick:

My unddrstaning of the snow effect is that it also causes low level damage, akin to other damage at a distance effects, like dagger stare. I've never checked it out though.

Hmmm, I haven't tried many bonuses but if I had to pick one I would probably say Blackstaff's Icy Invocation set bonus is my least liked. It gives a bonus of constant Ghost Meadow, (when it works as it should...) The thing is that the level of the Bonus Ghost Meadow will be the same level as the it is presently at. Runes Read + Equipement bunus to Ghost Meadow. I tend to keep the number of runes I read at a minimum and instead I use trading to buy a items to create a set that increases Ghost Meadow which I use to make a high level Ghost Meadow combo.

Relmin's Protection Bonus does sound kinda cool though. I need to try that out. :D Good topic.

Hmmm, I haven't tried many bonuses but if I had to pick one I would probably say Blackstaff's Icy Invocation set bonus is my least liked. It gives a bonus of constant Ghost Meadow, (when it works as it should...) The thing is that the level of the Bonus Ghost Meadow will be the same level as the it is presently at. Runes Read + Equipement bunus to Ghost Meadow. I tend to keep the number of runes I read at a minimum and instead I use trading to buy a items to create a set that increases Ghost Meadow which I use to make a high level Ghost Meadow combo.

Relmin's Protection Bonus does sound kinda cool though. I need to try that out. :D Good topic.

Now that is something I never considered. When it comes to GM, for me the higher the better. I swallow GM runes by the dozen but I also use equipment to boost as well. I try to keep GM at my level or higher. I had no idea that Blackstaff's armor was not capturing all of my levels.

This is something like Raanes HC bonus that stops increasing after you get your HC to 100.

Going out on a tangent, have you ever noticed that if you pump GM on a fire mage, it's totally wasted? My mature fire mages always have a low regen without GM. I always end up thinking "Now there are 100 runes that I'll never get back."

My unddrstaning of the snow effect is that it also causes low level damage, akin to other damage at a distance effects, like dagger stare. I've never checked it out though.

It doesn't do anything, sorry. Even how much I run around it won't hurt any type of creatures. How could it, if you can't even see it when graphics are on low.

Hi :unsure:

Woooho soo many things to comment on.... :)

Life leech bonus from a full set - As far as my experience goes its not working. But I didnt investigated this one too deeply because I always had enough leech from a different source.

Blackstaff's Icy Invocation - If I read it well what Schot wrote he said the full set bonus gives you a constant effect of GM at the level of your own GM (read runes + every other bonuses). My answer is valid only if I understand the statement well.

Definitely NO. Blackstaff's Icy Invocation gives you a fixed value of GM (independent of the difficulty level or your own GM level). The value is somewhere around a level 100 GM. Its easily to try it tho: equip Full Blackstaff (without casting a GM previously) and write the regen time of your highest spell. Take a piece of the set to loose the GM bonus then Cast GM as a spell. Now write off now the same regen you already did before. You should notice that they are different and the casted GM has a much lower value - so it gives you a higher regen. OFC you need your own GM be definitely higher than 100. Do it with a level 200 GM and you will see a highly noticable bonus.

let it snow.. - If you mean the full bonus of the Meg An-Enid's Blizzard set then I think this line is simply refering to the "XX% as special bonus damage" without any further effect - some kind of unfinished description. Never saw any slowing or any other effect at all. Ofc the "XX% special..." has quite wonderful effects :whistle:

Evilmale:

"I have noticed the samething Gm Seems to be about pointless in a fire mage"

Eh I am not understanding something clearly enough. You mean Ghost Meadow is excess for a fire BM?

About Lifeleech:

Simply try full Lorgar without any further LL Item equipped. You won't leech anything.

No crappy Theories like "xx% Chance to leech Enemie's full Life or so.. It simply doesn't work.

I tested that for Hours on Niob in a whole lotta Regions.

a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y n-o-t-h-I-n-g

:whistle:

Evilmale:

"I have noticed the samething Gm Seems to be about pointless in a fire mage"

Eh I am not understanding something clearly enough. You mean Ghost Meadow is excess for a fire BM?

The idea is that on most of the Fire only mages I have played--and evil as well it seems, spell regen is so low that taking GM is pointless. Of course this is not true until later levels, so making a GM suit would be the best idea, I guess.

The set GM is indeed level 100 +/-, someone actually did calculate it awhile back in SIF, the excellent post is long purged though. :lol:

However, you can always cast GM before you put the full icy set, and it would become that level 100 GM on top of your GM level. The regen time doesn't get much lower than that. :Just_Cuz_21: Still the best set for BM I think, personally. The pain is a welcome too.

Ah that would be the case unless I play MS mage, if so I just love the burning bone. It looks absolutely amazing with MS.

And on the topic, LL is indeed the most useless on set because its a lie as someone pointed out, you don't get those LL at all. Not even visual effect so it beats even the snow effect. :(

I've read a few things about Fear Animals, that obscure set bonus from the Lloranth(sp?) set for the Wood Elf. I was playing with my Sword only WE and was considering what set to give her. What set for a pure Melee, sword only WE? No really, I'm asking.

Well I thought about Lloranth. It seems to have nice pluses to attack and some usefull Combat Arts. I'm not too happy with the reduces gold bonus.

So Gial was kind enough to part with a couple of pieces, bringing me within two pieces of completing my set. This also granted me the fear animal bonus.

So I headed out to my favorite quest--the 'Orcs' quest in porto vallum. I made quick work of those guys and removed one piece of my set. I entered the pen of cows and watched as they stood around. I replaced the set piece and the cows started to run around, seemingly upset(well as fast as cows can run).

I removed the piece and they settled down again.

What possible use can we make of this?

casting PA on weired running cows, pidgeons, eagles, roe deers whatever?

if the set-bonus works, then the more they run, the faster they run, the higher your chances are that the casted-on arrows strip non-friendly creatures in the process.

but, sure - no use for a non-bow based woodelf at all

Wow I can honestly say I have no idea what yall are talking about LOL! Well I have a general idea but since I do not play any of the named characters I can't say heads or tales. I love my set bonus on my vamp though but its not necessary I get along just fine with out any full sets.

[casting PA on weired running cows, pidgeons, eagles, roe deers whatever?

if the set-bonus works, then the more they run, the faster they run, the higher your chances are that the casted-on arrows strip non-friendly creatures in the process.

but, sure - no use for a non-bow based woodelf at all

That is quite an idea. I like it.

About Lifeleech:

Simply try full Lorgar without any further LL Item equipped. You won't leech anything.

No crappy Theories like "xx% Chance to leech Enemie's full Life or so.. It simply doesn't work.

I tested that for Hours on Niob in a whole lotta Regions.

a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y n-o-t-h-I-n-g

:D

This is so cool... there is a mod in this game that actually doesn't work? Hands down that would probably be the worst mod.

Cheated!

lol

Sil, great thread here, and I enjoyed the great read this morning...specially everyone's comments about "snow"

:D

gogo

p.s. I'm just perplexed that a mod does not work... we need Rooster!

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope this mod works, or Totalman's in for a world of hurtin'! been trying to collect stuff to get lifeleech... I just assumed it was the same thing as each hit draws life from opponent (aka a fancy word for it) I guess not eh, well its nice to know this before I put more time and energy into trying to find the Cordell set... =*( [cries inside]... and it looked like such a cool ability too. Questions: What does Burning Bone do? its the bonus from Huron's Assassination (DE)... also, what is soul damage? (I think that one's from D'Brae'Sineltei's Guise...) I have pieces of each set and I was wondering whether it was worth hunting for the others... otherwise the sets seem just fair... interesting topic though. Thanks all

-Total