Light up Kitties!!!

No more searching for that pesky kitty at 2 am! Get yourself a glow in the dark one and find her anywhere without bothering the neighbors with your lights on!

Or when searching a crime scene! No need for luminol anymore with Glow kitty!

lightupkitty.jpg

SKoreans clone cats that glow in the dark

Wed Dec 12, 4:00 PM ET SEOUL (AFP) - South Korean scientists have cloned cats by manipulating a fluorescent protein gene, a procedure which could help develop treatments for human genetic diseases, officials said Wednesday.

In a side-effect, the cloned cats glow in the dark when exposed to ultraviolet beams.

A team of scientists led by Kong Il-keun, a cloning expert at Gyeongsang National University, produced three cats possessing altered fluorescence protein (RFP) genes, the Ministry of Science and Technology said.

"It marked the first time in the world that cats with RFP genes have been cloned," the ministry said in a statement.

"The ability to produce cloned cats with the manipulated genes is significant as it could be used for developing treatments for genetic diseases and for reproducing model (cloned) animals suffering from the same diseases as humans," it added.

The cats were born in January and February. One was stillborn while two others grew to become adult Turkish Angoras, weighing 3.0 kilogrammes (6.6 pounds) and 3.5 kilogrammes.

"This technology can be applied to clone animals suffering from the same diseases as humans," the leading scientist, Kong, told AFP.

"It will also help develop stemcell treatments," he said, noting that cats have some 250 kinds of genetic diseases that affect humans, too.

The technology can also help clone endangered animals like tigers, leopards and wildcats, Kong said.

Source article :drunkards:

Do they come in assorted colors?

:P

gogo

HAHAHAHA

I want a purple one!

But honestly... I don't see why fixing diseases in cloned animals helps anything. For one, we're not going to clone people (at least not for a long while), two, why is it we have to clone the animal to fix the defect? If you asked me it's just a gratuitous use of technology.

Why not fix the gene in the original animal first - then worry about cloning if it is at all necessary...

I saw this on the news yesterday

it's just gives me a wierd feeling cloning and gene manipulating...

I'm maybe a little wierd but I think its enogh cats already some places cat's are even huge problems because it's so many of them

and why are we trying to clone and manipulate I'm a little paronoid I know but I think its a plan to start cloning humans and there is more humans living rigth now than its ever lived on earth. And genes... I still know its paranoid but I'm thinking they migth want to produce some kind of Uber soliders :agreed:

(if I was stupid posting this ignore this post)

PS: I also want a glowing cat but I want a blue one

Edited by Erling

I think that we simply cannot stop cloning or genetic modification. Sure you can "ban" it, but what do you think China/Korea/America will be doing when it's banned? Exactly. Genetic research. *sigh*

As for the kittens, if they can make 'em white, they would be awesome to have at your side at Halloween! Go go ghost kitty! :agreed:

I saw this on the news yesterday

it's just gives me a wierd feeling cloning and gene manipulating...

I'm maybe a little wierd but I think its enogh cats already some places cat's are even huge problems because it's so many of them

and why are we trying to clone and manipulate I'm a little paronoid I know but I think its a plan to start cloning humans and there is more humans living rigth now than its ever lived on earth. And genes... I still know its paranoid but I'm thinking they migth want to produce some kind of Uber soliders :agreed:

(if I was stupid posting this ignore this post)

PS: I also want a glowing cat but I want a blue one

It’s not a dumb post in any way :) but they are not cloning to increase the population. Cloning can basically be used for two different purposes, therapeutic or reproductive. And personally I don't find either to be bad, reprehensible or anything per se

Therapeutic cloning represents the ideal in organ transplantation, as it would provide an unlimited source of organs to anyone who needs them. The main problem lies within our technical capabilities, as currently we are not able to culture all organs in vitro. With the current need for organs, this may lead to breeding people for the purpose of harvesting their tissues and organs from their bodies, then disposing of them. As seen in the movie. The island iirc, you know the one with the disgusting product placement in every minute

Reproductive cloning is a viable alternative for standard in vitro fertilization techniques, as long as it is conducted in a restricted manner. Elective use of cloning should be permitted imho because yes, it may lead to some kind of uber soldiers. But I’m thinking more simple things like choosing the gender of kids. We wouldn’t want that either.

Anyway I want a white kitty too. They seem to come only in red sadly

so they clone to make new organs for humans?

does the cloned person/unit need to be alive first to make the organs functional then ? seems stupid to give life to a clone and then kill it.

and I tougth moust persons who is in need of new organs needs them because they have smoked alot or eaten wrong food so isnt that pretty much your own fault?

(I know many involved in accsidents like fires and car chrashes also need organs to survive)

yeah white would be awsome :) like a little ligth walking around :)

They kinda scare me lol can you imagine getting up to go to the bathroom late when the house is completly dark and the first thing you see is a glowing mutant cat!! HELP! LOL!

Better yet Vampie. You go to the kitchen late at night and YOU glow. Haha. Evolution can be a great thing. Adding subtle, and not so subtle, new abilities to organism's. I think what's happening these days is that science has become much too impatient with evolution and is on the road to writing evolution for us. Could be good... Could be bad... Who knows! That said... If you could be your own flashlight where by at the blink of an eye you could emit your own light would you want to? :) I would! Maybe just glowing hands though eh? I'll talk to the science department about it, lol.

Re: Cloning humans. Um. If it is outlawed in Western Society, it'll be done covertly.

Like when the (CIA or FBI?, or the other one, NSA) US govt experimented on people in hospital with LSD. Only reason we know about that one is they happened to choose the wife of an M.P.. Bad mistake. Oh---this also happened in Montreal.

I also heard the US experimented on my home city (before I got there) by dropping chemicals from the air to see the effect on an urban population.

So, no worries. The military funds these things, 'cause all new technology is used for weaponry first. Or 'defense'.

The kitties glow in the dark... so now, scuba divers can be created that have their own lights... so Megaladon can find them easier. Yum! Tasty morsel! (And Orca should eat less scuba divers too.) But bad: 'cause Navy Seals are supposed to sneak up on enemies... not glow like light bulbs! :)