Upgrade Time

bhj

this upgrade was looooong overdue But with Sacred 2 coming up and the list with games I could not run only growing and growing what else could I do :P (<-- see how I just justifyed buying it) :)

so what did I buy the ? well I didnt buy the best of the best (and all that) not that I didnt want to but damn thats expensive :hugs:

so I ended up with this

Thermaltake Mozart TX

XFX GeForce 8800GT

Asus Striker Extreme

Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC8500 2048MB

Intel Core 2 Quad

2 Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

Samsung DVD-burner SH-S203N SATA Black OEM

along with a few other bits and pieces among other a Mist 600W PSU :)

hers a few pictures of my new "furniture" :P

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

well thats it hope you liked it :o

well thats it hope you liked it :)

Love it!............totally envious :hugs:

Couple of questions

whats the noise level like with all those fans going at once?

Did you build it yourself?

Whats a rig like that cost?

stubbs

Couple of questions

whats the noise level like with all those fans going at once?

Did you build it yourself?

Whats a rig like that cost?

well the noise level is not that bad (if you consider that I got all the fans with the tower) but its a bit much for my liking so iam going to replace all the 120 fans so I can use them on the control I have in the front

yep I build it myself (I dont trust no one with building my pc) :)

what it cost huh hmmm you had to ask didnt you :o well 3k :hugs: (the only thing I have used from my old pc is the sound card which is a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum)

Edited by bhj
added link to the soundcard

:hugs: nice one

Very interesting case design. Did you able to use standard sata cable comes with the asus board or you had to purchase some?

And the grey cable looks like a scsi, is it a audigy's front panel connection cable or do you have some scsi device which you didn't mention?

*steals bhj's new toy* ninja04.gif

Oh man bhj. That is sooooo.... Crool! Now I want one... Nono.. I NEED one. Oh my birthday is coming soon and I could suuuure use a new pc. :D Hello? .... Anyone? ^^

Great stuff there bhj. I have no doubt you are having a ton of fun with it. :D

@ Yarasa I used the standard sata cables fo the disk (with 90 degree bend out from the disks) but I had to purchase a extra long one for the burner

yep the gray one (and the round black one) is to the front panel :) I just love the front panel its so easy to have the headset and the mic connected there and not in the back (having the remote control helps to) :D

@ schot hehe ill try to have as much fun with it as you can have with a computer :D

lol, it actually looks like some kind of industrial cooling unit ...third pic down.

well the front is icecold atm anyway :P

I have only tested Hellgate London yet and I run that faultless and I should run crysis without any problems as well :D

and I should run crysis without any problems as well :D

More than anything I'm very much looking forward to how that runs. They say Crysis is so made that it's going to be years before anything can run it well now at full max.

And if you can.... guess who's coming to visit you in Norway

Demo here:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?sh...8&hl=crysis

:D

gogo

And I thought my own new case was big... :drinks:

*Goes green, then sneaks over to BHJ's house and nicks the computer*

Wow mate, thats an amazing looking comp, have fun with it!

:)

~Doom

hehe yeah tim just jump over the pond and come over :) (but no nicking) watchit_cop.gif

my case is W33 D36 H72 btw

and the front is still cold gogo (and no I have not tested crysis yet) :o

ok so now its time to start working on the server I guess :) and surfing after new 120 fans :drinks:

and setting op the lan again :o (damn iam busy) LoL

@ schot hehe ill try to have as much fun with it as you can have with a computer :)

*Thinks of something evil to do to bhj...*

Have I told you how much I hate you lately? :drinks:

btw how long is the cable ?

approx 2 meters (thats using my wifes tape measure and me crawling under the desk :thumbsup:

and its the revision 2 G15, which goes nice with my G9 mouse:)

stubbs

iam kidnapping your post so I dont haveto spam in tims post :P

and thx for crawling for me :D I def think I need at least the keyboard (even if the LEDs are not blue) :o

the mouse iam a bit unsure about (think I might haveto see if I can find it in a local store so I can try it :)

Have I told you how much I hate you lately? :)

:)

so I should not post the pictures of the server when iam done with it ?

;)

and surfing after new 120 fans

I've read lots of reviews on different cases and the common experience is that few stock fans in cases are as quiet as upgrades. I've had good experience w/ both Thermaltake and Vantec for quiet upgrades. One thing I've noted is that even if it doesn't give decible numbers, double-ball bearings are definitely quieter than single-ball bearing types.

And I'm sure you know this but having figured it out myself the hard way, pay careful attention to the connector type (3-pin motherboard vs 4-pin power supply). And make sure your motherboard doesn't give persistent errors if a fan isn't connected thru it... my old Dell was so annoying at every reboot that I finally just put the old fan back in.

I have a aluminum Lian-Li case and the fans comes with it are great. Very low noise and very efficient.

even tough you will not need a fan at all too cool down anything because of the aluminum components, I still use them with the lowest speed available to give some air movement in the case.

pc-60.jpg

Edit: picture add it. (very similar)

Edited by Yarasa
Have I told you how much I hate you lately? :4rofl:

:drinks:

so I should not post the pictures of the server when iam done with it ?

:closed:

Jeeeeeaalous... I'm so very jealous! lol. I'll get over it. Some day, hahaha. Oh I have a request about that server of yours though. I've been wanting to try the same and I'm wondering if you might document your experience with it here bhj. Would be cool to read and post about how to implement various things to do with a home server. Pleeease! I promise I won't censor the pics you plan to post of your server, lol.

Oh and nice one you got there Yarasa. Aluminum parts too! My geek senses are tingling, haha.

Hey bhj :) aren't you the least bit irritated by that cable mess in plain view?

That seems so weird to me, when you have a window!

Edited by Timotheus

Oh that is wicked! What a monster!

*drooooool* and you have the best part! Blue leds!

Im a sucker for blue leds :blink:

@masteff yep iam not buying anyfans without double ball bearings... and the connector must be 3-pin for me to get to use the fan controll I have in the front :)

@Yarasa nice looking tower (even if it is kinda small) :D

@Schot well this time around I was not going to install anything special on the server as its only going to be a file server so iam not sure there are much to document

Hey bhj 1smile.gif aren't you the least bit irritated by that cable mess in plain view?

That seems so weird to me, when you have a window!

well theres no point being irritated over it cos theres nothing I can do about it atm

since I have to make the longer cables myself

Oh that is wicked! What a monster!

yeah its kinda big isnt it :)

Im a sucker for blue leds :P

yep I know the feeling :)

been looking at the G11 and G15 keyboard as well

g11.gifg15.gif

now if I only could get the G15 in blue cos it looks sooooo much better dont you think ?

g15_dark.gifg15_dark_blue.jpg

But,, like... can't you at least make it look less messy :D I have all my cables bound toghether with tie-wraps (except for that darn IDE flatcable, my mobo/dvdwriter doesn't like the rounded I bought) and I have a CLOSED case :P I need the airflow lol...

But,, like... can't you at least make it look less messy

yep I can make it a little less messy But atm I cant make it like I want it to be SOOOO iam not touching it until I can :(