Double post warning. I had to do it, cause I found let's plays on youtube. If you like them, buy the game
And to make this post longer, I will add my pre-launch comment from my youtube Sacred 3 angry rant. Read at your own peril.
It is quite simple really... Gamers nowadays became extremely forgiving. Many think that I overstate things in my rant. I guess people like button mashers more and more now. Hell, next thing we know, Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter will put a big red X on its dozens of years of legacy, and turn into an isometric 3D corridor button masher with an occasional "get over here!", and people will still sing their praises about it.
I have compiled all the info I have on S3 which will unlock tomorrow for EU. Some of it may still be incorrect, but it is as follows:
1. 15-20 Hrs total, 15 main, 25 side quests. Everything's a corridor or a small open area.
2. Minimalistic RPG options: pick 2 skills per mission, level up to unlock new ones.
3. 2+1+Main+Dodge Attacks.
4. Competitive gameplay: points get you either bragging rights, or if there are leaderboards, it may mean that people will fight for points like crazy.
5. Voice over IP or similar built-in chat mechanic.
6. Forced 4-man missions, even if you play solo. In this case you get bots.
- I will keep saying it: price does not merit what this game does. It is by no means better than other arcade-style button mashers over there.
- no Magicka playstyle - people working together to chain attacks and help one another - which promoted friendship, togetherness, and tons of lols.
- no Dynasty Warriors type attacks - and I thought DW8 is minimalistic, but at least you could chain attacks at your leisure: 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 5-2, 4-1, etc., and it worked well.
- RPG fans will feel hard done - you will gain levels, you will unlock skills, but the core RPG stuff that drove S1 & Sacred 2 forward, or any other decent RPG is no longer there.
- Some fans will feel the lack of loot underwhelming - especially since getting a "reward" at the end is based on chance. Still possible to have scripted stuff that gives you a weapon or armor piece regardless of the outcome.
- I sure hope the bots AI is decent, or you will scream at your PC and feel like kicking the hell out of it.
- I sure hope the scoring system is decent, or people will learn where the most pts are and will always go for those areas.
- If a mission hangs in the balance and you go save it at the cost of scoring less points, people will still get bragging rights and you will feel undervalued.
- Some classes may play similarly: now I am not really sure if that's gonna be the case, it is a personal observation, but if true... It will be Sacred Citadel all over again.
- EDIT: Is that "Sexey" commentary when you do something supposed to be cool?! Don't think it is.
- EDIT: The Seraphim narrator is kinda out of place in my opinion. Some jokes are cute, the narrator's voice is cute, but the kind-arrgessive-whoops type of personality is giving no sense or urgency or impending doom.
- EDIT: I am ok with games who don't take themselves seriously, and I guess S3 is one of them too. Or so it looks.
All in all, I am still quite pessimistic. The let's plays will start soon, and I will check them out as well. Then again, with so little time till the game hits the shelves and reviewers kinda split in their opinions of the game, I am still not convinced that it is going to be a good one. Might be fun to button mash through it 1-2 times, but that hardly merits the 50€/USD price.