Question for tea drinkers

A simple question ... if you drink tea with meals (which probably leaves out a large proportion of DM members) do you drink the tea during or after eating?

When I was a lad, and even after, tea was always poured during the meal, whether it was main meal or that old fashioned activity called 'afternoon tea'. When I ate in "caff"s the tea was always plonked on the table first thing to help over the waiting time.

But my wife's family got their tea at the end of the meal - whatever the meal

And now we are told that it is bad practice to drink the tea during the meal :Just_Cuz_12:

Ignore the fact that you probably drink beer or wine or whatever(water?) - stick to tea and let me have your (polite please) advice on this vital subject. :(

I drink tea whenever I feel like drinking tea, but mostly after the meal. However I drink Rooibos tea(native to South Africa, but sold worldwide now I think). I'm not sure of all the good it does for you, but I've found it helps digestion and and soothes an overeaten stomach, Green tea is also mostly drank after the meal, to help aid digestion.

Delta!

I recall eating lunches with grandma... unless soup was the meal, then she had tea during the meal. I was "too young" for tea at the time, so I had juice/whatever.

Don't remember evening meals... not revolving around tea, anyway :)

Personally, I don't drink anything during a meal; some water and maybe a tea afterwards, if I have a hankering for tea... usually only in the winter.

I drink tea whenever I feel like drinking tea as well, but I sip my tea during the meal. I drink Rooibos tea as well, rather than 'ordinary' tea. I love the stuff and not just for the fact that it is decaf, but because it has a better flavour to my taste buds and yes it is readily available here in England, all the supermarkets sell it alongside the ordinary tea.

Tea, tea, so close to me heart! We used to drink tea religiously as children. We had loose pack tea that my parents would always have sent over from Sri Lanka, or that they would purchase upon trips abroad. The taste of tea, sugar and cream stirs great memories. My dad would always have a pot brewed for my and my brother when we got home form School, with some slices of bread, all buttered and jammed for our tiffin (strange name he had for afternoon snack :lol:) Eagle Brand Condensed milk was what we used to add color and flavor, and to this day, that particularly flavored tea can bring me home to my grandparents' place where they used to serve it to me and my brother in saucers because it was so hot, and needed cooling!

:lol:

gogo

For me, it's mostly after dinner. It's something I drink when I sit down somewhere comfy. But when we go out for chinese food (dim sum) we drink chinese tea during and after eating.

Edited by Timotheus

My dad would always have a pot brewed for my and my brother when we got home form School, with some slices of bread, all buttered and jammed for our tiffin (strange name he had for afternoon snack :lol:) Eagle Brand Condensed milk was what we used to add color and flavor, and to this day, that particularly flavored tea can bring me home to my grandparents' place where they used to serve it to me and my brother in saucers because it was so hot, and needed cooling!

:lol:

gogo

Oh dear Gogo - you take me back to younger times - so it was chez nous way back before you were born.

The is one particular tea taste that I will never forget ... the stuff that sat in a large metal teapot all night long in the guard room, and was drunk with condensed milk and lots of sugar - thick, treacly, and would probably make me vomit now.

Also we never use teabags, always loose leaf tea. It is basically an old stubborness that I do not accept that commercial suppliers should dictate the size iof my portions because it suits them. I like to be flexible in how strong or weak tea is on any particular occasion ... and I hate those teabags when they come out of the cup or pot.

Must confess that neither self nor wife has ever heard of the South African tea mentioned above. Tea in France is a disgusting price, we always bring back at least a year's supply when we manage to get back into a GB supermarket - of ordinary, cheap, every day tea. We will look out for Rooibos next visit, but I suspect it will be outside our budget.

Here we call everything tea if boiling water is poured on dried herbs. Lot of the herbs are self-dried.

I think rooisbus is africaans for red-bush. In germany we call in Rotbusch. All words having the same meaning.

I love tea, and drink it all the time at home. Never at work because I like it with milk so it's coffee at work.

Since you've asked a specific question...........

I drink a cup of tea with my breakfast, and also with my lunch, but, as for dinner/evening meal, I make the tea just before serving out my dinner, then drink it just after finishing my meal.

My reason is that tea goes nicely with breakfast and a sandwich at lunchtime, but in the evening, I find it settles my stomach nicely to drink the tea after eating.

Might seem daft, but that's my answer.

Steve.

I love tea, and drink it all the time at home. Never at work because I like it with milk so it's coffee at work.

I drink a cup of tea with my breakfast, and also with my lunch, but, as for dinner/evening meal, I make the tea just before serving out my dinner, then drink it just after finishing my meal.

My reason is that tea goes nicely with breakfast and a sandwich at lunchtime, but in the evening, I find it settles my stomach nicely to drink the tea after eating.

Steve.

Steve, I used to drop 5 teaspoons of sugar in my coffee and tea every day. Because I'm watching my sugars now, I only use cream or milk, zero sugar :cry:

Do you use sweetener or have cut down?

:)

gogo

Here we call everything tea if boiling water is poured on dried herbs. Lot of the herbs are self-dried.

I think this may well apply elsewhere - herb teas - used to be called a "tissane" back in the 19th century (no I don't remember personally) - and an "infusion". Odd thing is that the French still use these two old words for herb teas, and they are still served in bars, alongside with coffee, tea and the rest. The most commonly available in bars are "tilleul" which is linden or lime flowers, and camomile also using the flowers. Plenty of literature on the beneficial values of these herb teas.

Can't say I have ever had a "tilleul tissane" with my breakfast though, but sometimes in the evening.

Well, must say I've never been a tea drinker (or coffee for that matter), the only times I've ever had it have been once or twice out for asian cuisine and they serve up a pot of fairly weak herbal tea.

Steve.

Steve, I used to drop 5 teaspoons of sugar in my coffee and tea every day. Because I'm watching my sugars now, I only use cream or milk, zero sugar :cry:

Do you use sweetener or have cut down?

gogo

Teabag + boiling water + a splash of skimmed milk = perfect cuppa.

I have personally never found the need for sweetening tea, but it is a choice of the drinker. Some like it sweet, some like a slice of lemon, so everyone is different.

Some one once made me a cup with a load of sugar without asking me, and I nearly spat it back out in shock !

So no Gogo, I don't use sugar or sweetners in my tea and never have, but I respect that others enjoy a sweet cuppa.

Steve, currently sipping a cuppa right now, hehe ! :)

lol I was actually looking for a cup this morning, but out of bags, and only a few grains of the loose left. Hot chocolate for me today, but a scribble to the shopping list means tea's on the menu for tonight.

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

I like Pakistani Tea or I forgot the actual name. It's unique taste.

First pour water in the sauce pan(fill the pan halfway).

Then put in a tea bag.

Next wait for it to get dark.

Later on put in enough milk in to make a brownish colour. (Light brown means more milk and less tea while dark brown tea means less milk and more tea.)

After a while wait for it until it makes big bubbles.

Finally pour them into your cups.

Add 1-2 teapoons of sugar in your cup(the sweetness depends on you).

I'm sure you add something like laachi or something, but I've forgotten!

Sorry for the confusion

Any time of day for me, is a good time for a cup of tea. (I'm allergic to coffee) My brother went to China last year and brought me a brick of tea for Christmas that had been aged 17 years. Best tea I ever had. Still have a lot of the brick left too.

Box it comes in:

teabrick.jpg

Box and brick wrapped in paper:

teabrick2.jpg

Any time of day for me, is a good time for a cup of tea. (I'm allergic to coffee) My brother went to China last year and brought me a brick of tea for Christmas that had been aged 17 years. Best tea I ever had. Still have a lot of the brick left too.

Box it comes in:

teabrick.jpg

Box and brick wrapped in paper:

teabrick2.jpg

Hey there mate.

That's very interesting. How do you make the tea ? Do you have to break bits off the brick ?

Steve. :)

Aged tea? Didn't even know that was valued as a product. Does it really taste that much "better"? You'd think the tea would just become stale or old? Interesting

gogo

I cut of pieces of the brick (about the size of the tip of my pinkie finger to the first knuckle joint). Then put it into a tea infuser and pour boiling water to cover it, and as per the instructions throw that water out immediately (this is to re-awaken the tea). Then the first infusion is only for ten seconds, second for 12, third for 16, fourth 21, fifth for 27, sixth for 35, seventh for 45 and after this the tea starts to turn more and more bitter. Part of the aging process is that the tea leaves ferment as they dry, and as a result the aged tea is more expensive than regular tea. A brick of tea that has aged for about 30 years can go for about $450 to $500 dollars US. Next time I make a cup(s) I'll post a video of it.