Food glorious food - What are you eating

It was.

At our open-doors day 2022 we sold 500 lunch pakets. For a village with just 128 people, there must have been visitors from the surroundings. Not all came to watch our firefighting equip or basic training in firefighting and prevention, some for music and good food.

From the 128 people more than the half are active or passive firefighters. Actually in our area of responsibility (village borders and forest belongig it to) there was no single fire for 30+ years. Hornet and wasp nests, flooding, fallen trees after a storm, car crashes on a secondary,... - but not a single fire. Neighbour villages were not so happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Global Warming or more probably: I am getting old. We visited our second at Frankfurt with the twins. Because it was hot we stepped into an ice cream parlor. All except me ordered an Eisburger. I said since when ice cream parlors sell Eisburgers. 'Pa, it is in!'. Then the Eisburger arrived. Far away from what we called an Eisburger at my army time. It was a brioche bun filled with ice cream. Well I had ordered Rosebud-ice with pears marinated in elderberry juice.

What I called an Eisburger is a burger made from Eisbein

640px-Eisbein-2.jpg

The Eisbein is cut in pieces and this what I called an Eisburger

pulled-haemmchen-burger-1.jpg

And this is what they sell as Eisburgers, or since the owner has italian parents: brioche con gelato

media.media.9f44781b-fe93-462d-aa77-96d4

And that is Hagebutteneise mit Holunder-Birnen/rosebud-ice with pears marinated in elderberry juice.

hagebutteneis-mit-holunder-birnen-64061.

And they call me a barbarian because not knowing what a nowaday Eisburger is. But I bet my choice was more tasteful and gourmet like :)

BTW, are they selling Ice-Burger on the other side of the Atlantic too?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 10:29 AM, chattius said:

Global Warming or more probably: I am getting old. We visited our second at Frankfurt with the twins. Because it was hot we stepped into an ice cream parlor. All except me ordered an Eisburger. I said since when ice cream parlors sell Eisburgers. 'Pa, it is in!'. Then the Eisburger arrived. Far away from what we called an Eisburger at my army time. It was a brioche bun filled with ice cream. Well I had ordered Rosebud-ice with pears marinated in elderberry juice.

What I called an Eisburger is a burger made from Eisbein

640px-Eisbein-2.jpg

The Eisbein is cut in pieces and this what I called an Eisburger

pulled-haemmchen-burger-1.jpg

And this is what they sell as Eisburgers, or since the owner has italian parents: brioche con gelato

media.media.9f44781b-fe93-462d-aa77-96d4

And that is Hagebutteneise mit Holunder-Birnen/rosebud-ice with pears marinated in elderberry juice.

hagebutteneis-mit-holunder-birnen-64061.

And they call me a barbarian because not knowing what a nowaday Eisburger is. But I bet my choice was more tasteful and gourmet like :)

BTW, are they selling Ice-Burger on the other side of the Atlantic too?

LOL...what an amazing concept... could have fooled me! I'm all in for ice cream... when i went to visit my mom two weeks ago, we couldnt get enough of  Sarah's Hande Made Ice Cream... perfectly situated along the line of shops at a strip mall which had a beautiful wood stove pizza place packed to the rafters... Basil, cheese, tomatoe simple and classic

3b6d8803-6ed2-42d0-b9b2-837e1ea58e74.jpg

• zomgod! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Schot, from a friend at work, got two referrals, one for Good Food, and the other for Hello Fresh. Each bag has meal kits within it, three per bag, with, i believe, very generous portions, for two people.  The costing came to, we figger, about CAD 17.00 per *evening* for two... we kinda compare it to a night out for pizza down the street, about 17.00 for a medium which is filling for us.  

The first meal was extraordinary.. I never really use the oven, and in fact found using it to be intimidating, and even following instructions more! :lol: However..it was a pretty cool evening putting this edible puzzle together, and we ended up with crusted chicken, fried on the outside then oven cooked for a tender, juicy interior... cooking like this is not the way I was brought up (rice and curry here) and it was delicious.  

We accidentally fried the salad in mayo, but.. that'll teach us to read it all before we assemble! 

:4rofl: 

:)

gogo

Ps we both agree...that even though it says everything it recyclable.. with this strange foam that they say we can dissolve in water or burn :blink: the amount of "stuff" in the box is just a lot of extra work.. not sure if having to think about how, where to get rid of it all is my thing, especially as were right here in the city, busy street, fresh food and veggies market 1km away. Also, some of the bagging is recycling grade 7 ..which is the least recyclable on the scale

:sigh: 

IMG_7200.jpgIMG_7191.jpgIMG_7185.jpgIMG_7184.jpgIMG_7183.jpgIMG_7179.jpg

I'm curious how long does it stay cold in that box gogo? When we lived in our flat, we once took delivery of a Hello Fresh package for our neighbour. Who didn't pick it up until about 5-6 hours after the delivery guy had come and gone. So the box wasn't refrigerated for a loooong time.

As for us: home cooking is what we do most of the time, we never tried Hello Fresh or any of the alternatives. It seems expensive for what ingredients you get - and you have no control over. We try to get our produce and meats organic when possible, and so far our supermarkets seem a lot better for that than any of the meal-package delivery services.

• Like! 1

Our second is at university. She and her boyfriend both study medicine and find not much time for shopping, often doing 36 hours shifts. So time is precious and a meat delivery an option. The box contains no frozen stuff and the box reads put in fridge right away. If not, use it up in 36 hours.

In our village a nearby farmer sells seasonal stuff. A small roof above boxes with food and a moneybox so people place the money in. Probably works only in small villages where everyone knows everyone. Beef and such: a food truck from another farmer sells it twice a week for an hour.

verkaufsstand-der-lpg-heerte-mit.jpg

For me a meat delivery is a question of 10 metres. The fence where the box would be placed is 30 metres from the house. The garden is behind the sitedoor, potatoe in the clay cellar and meat is stored at the back of the house which is reaching into the hill so cooling produces less costs. So a typical meat done with stuff at home has shorter ways :)

• Like! 1
21 hours ago, Timotheus said:

I'm curious how long does it stay cold in that box gogo? When we lived in our flat, we once took delivery of a Hello Fresh package for our neighbour. Who didn't pick it up until about 5-6 hours after the delivery guy had come and gone. So the box wasn't refrigerated for a loooong time.

As for us: home cooking is what we do most of the time, we never tried Hello Fresh or any of the alternatives. It seems expensive for what ingredients you get - and you have no control over. We try to get our produce and meats organic when possible, and so far our supermarkets seem a lot better for that than any of the meal-package delivery services.

five, six hours is a long time...but, depending on the ingredients it can be satisfactory... also, they have stopped using co2 for packing and have replaced it with VERY cold, premium packaged water -filled bags that are apparently recyclable. But not a using good level  recyclable rating product #7) ,,,  and they are smart when it seems to come to *tricky* ingrecients.. for example the last box we got had the normal three meals, and one of them was shrimp fiest...YUCK... well, the quality of shrimp was excellent (though I d a rathered not pulled the tails off, but oh well this is someone recipe  ;p  .but the cool thing i noticed about the shrimp was that they had been packed at the deepest part of the box between two ice slabs... soooo.. this satisfied me.  I felt that someone thoughtful had packed my package and cared about food and his clients. :)

Of the two companies we got free food from this week, Hello Fresh was, so far based upon one recipe review the "upscale" one.  Components came in beautiful wooden bags, with quality condiments and seasonings... the second company, Good Food... we didnt much care for.. thats the  one we cooked last... tacos, shrimp and tossing.. the protein was of excellent quality, but the packet of seasonings was sub part...dried and dull, like something plucked out of a dollar store, and the packet of sour cream that we were supposed to mix the avacado mush into was also of poor quality.. there was after tastes of chemicals that lingered, the trademark tracks of not enough true milk, and fat, and chemical "stuffers" silently replacing them.

Here's some pix of our second go... we're gonna rate this one a  

6.5 /10

IMG_7251.jpgIMG_7249.jpgIMG_7235.jpgIMG_7237.jpgIMG_7232.jpgIMG_7231.jpgIMG_7230.jpg

Found a 11 pound heavy giant puffball at the morning walks with the dogs. Will probably turn into something like a Pilzschnitzel (mushroom-schnitzel) at firefighters. Add potatoes in skin and a sauce from roasted onions and cassis. Tasty sauce is needed because the puffball itself is nearly tasteless. And there were more of these balls, but yet not as big.

riesenbovist_schnitzel-9.jpg

• Like! 1
On 8/8/2023 at 9:01 AM, chattius said:

Found a 11 pound heavy giant puffball at the morning walks with the dogs. Will probably turn into something like a Pilzschnitzel (mushroom-schnitzel) at firefighters. Add potatoes in skin and a sauce from roasted onions and cassis. Tasty sauce is needed because the puffball itself is nearly tasteless. And there were more of these balls, but yet not as big.

riesenbovist_schnitzel-9.jpg

I remember my cuz's place had those massive puffballs on it, my other cousin took it home to see if he could cook it... they are marvelous to look at on the ground  and then  pluck

gogo

Last night Schot used up the second to last Hello Fresh unit. It came within a beautiful, folded brown paper bag, sported nice branding, and was filled with adorably petite and varied small containers of magickery inside. 

One of them was a can of unctuous coconut cream sauce... sorry, could not help taking out a scoop with me finger :D ... this turned out very well.. it was a turkey, Indian curry.. with fresh tomatoes that they supplied, well balanced spices, rice that turned out marvelously light.. long-grained my favorite... 

There was even some green onions that we got to slice up thinly to sprinkle along as a divide tween the fluffy aromatic rice and the very tasty Indian turkey gravy.  We have one more Hello Fresh left, if we ever choose to order one of these boxes again, so far this has our vote...heres some pix :D

Schot to to chop up a supplied sweet-potato into small cubes which we then drizzled with oil and seasoned with S and P... we never do fancy stuff like this... all lots of fun

IMG_7189.jpg

IMG_7337.jpg

IMG_7336.jpg

IMG_7334.jpg

Aaand .. schot used his referral .. another three bags in the box .. we find it stressful following recipes 😄😄.. so we opted for one out of the three as a veggie version.. Brie cheese and apple salad .. Kayumbo!

IMG_7396.jpeg

IMG_7394.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

This was a great find last night... a place we havent been to in 10 years cuz it became too expensive.. all of a sudden became *reasonable* when we just walked there and ordered take out...  good pepperoni, REAL bacon slices that you could chew threw instead of those processed bacon *dots* that now seem to festoon the tops of most pizzas...and mushrooms... we call that a Quebecois here... but now after this... we call it ...DEEEEEEEEEElicious

12.65 tax in CAD... DEALIO

:drool:

gogo

IMG_7612.jpg

My cousine runs a horse farm/hotel. People from towns have no room for the horses of their daughters. So my cousine has them and cares for them. The owners come mainly on weekends for some riding.

3 years back her farm was in danger of flooding and she moved the horses to our place (posted in covid threadi think). Obviously on our hills far away from flooding rivelets. You see last remins of storm clouds.

Gäule-1.JPG

This sunday she did a open door day and whole family was there for helping because it were like 700 guests. The kids and the AuPair were doing french fries and Bratwurst while my wife and me were busy at the field kitchens.

Deer ghoulash, Rotkohl (like Sauerkraut but red cabbage), sweet chestnuts, partridgeberries and Semmelknödel, cut in dices and roasted. Sold all my 200 portions and the biggest compliment was from a Banker who asked if he could hire me for the marriage of his daughter. He was puzzled when I said that I am just an amateur in cooking :)

I read several recipes in internet and made my own adaption for field kitchen. The first picture would be closest but we served on wooden plates.

I asked for pictures but there were non of our food, just one of my wife while serving. But the girls had dozens of photos from the horses....

My cousine has like 40 easy to keep European fallow deers for meat production.

Gulasch_Maronen_Knoedel_Preiselbeeren_d2

hirschgulasch-nach-omas-rezept.jpg

hirschgulasch.jpg

• Appreciation 1
On 9/6/2023 at 4:45 AM, chattius said:

My cousine runs a horse farm/hotel. People from towns have no room for the horses of their daughters. So my cousine has them and cares for them. The owners come mainly on weekends for some riding.

3 years back her farm was in danger of flooding and she moved the horses to our place (posted in covid threadi think). Obviously on our hills far away from flooding rivelets. You see last remins of storm clouds.

Gäule-1.JPG

This sunday she did a open door day and whole family was there for helping because it were like 700 guests. The kids and the AuPair were doing french fries and Bratwurst while my wife and me were busy at the field kitchens.

Deer ghoulash, Rotkohl (like Sauerkraut but red cabbage), sweet chestnuts, partridgeberries and Semmelknödel, cut in dices and roasted. Sold all my 200 portions and the biggest compliment was from a Banker who asked if he could hire me for the marriage of his daughter. He was puzzled when I said that I am just an amateur in cooking :)

I read several recipes in internet and made my own adaption for field kitchen. The first picture would be closest but we served on wooden plates.

I asked for pictures but there were non of our food, just one of my wife while serving. But the girls had dozens of photos from the horses....

My cousine has like 40 easy to keep European fallow deers for meat production.

Gulasch_Maronen_Knoedel_Preiselbeeren_d2

hirschgulasch-nach-omas-rezept.jpg

hirschgulasch.jpg

I felt like i was reading something out of a classic history book, while this is a page from your life... what a contrast to my urban life here in the city...and those horses... those glorious horses.. the pictures look like paintings!

:bounce:

gogo

2 hours ago, gogoblender said:

I felt like I was reading something out of a classic history book, while this is a page from your life... what a contrast to my urban life here in the city...and those horses... those glorious horses.. the pictures look like paintings!

:bounce:

gogo

The place with the horses is where our oldest fruit trees are. The apple tree with its blossoms is an old variant and cut in plateau shape by my grandgrandpa to spend shadow for working horses, planted somewhere in the 1930ties. Behind it are thorny bushes with sloes. On the hill at the horizon is my backup income: big beeches and big oaks.

Urban place has some advantages: the headline of the local newpaper was that the last!!! cinema in our district with 140000 people is closing. Not so bad beause of the movies - but as a teen cinemas were a dark place to meet my girlfriend. :blush:

It is so stupid. film studios demand most modern technology to allow cinemas to run their movies. Who cares, as a teen I would have considered dolby stereo and bright digital beamers as disturbing while ssitting next to my girlfriend.

So less income because of covid, not enough money to update for new movie techniques ... goodbye cinema. Teenage kids will miss you.

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Loved the first time we did Panko, its not something we do often, or ever :lol: ... mayonnaising it, breading, frying then in the oven...very delcious but so... processed... maybe future forward its less Panko and more Ice Cream! :bounce:

IMG_7949.jpg

mushroom weather, sunny in afternoon and wet in morning fog

7 pounds while doing a walk with the dogs: different boletes, chanterelles, blusher, champignon, ...

could add bear garlic from our indoor garden for a nice mushroom pan

The nice thing with bear garlic: has garlic taste but you don't smell for it

• Like! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So with the new *free* box arriving, we made a naan beef ementhal pizza that came with vast amounts of Kale salad... the flavor profile of the pizza was intriguing.. was cool to bake the pre-made naans in the oven to make the crispy, but i didnt taste as cooking while I should have and lost this creation with the seasoning.. all about the seasoning!! 

IMG_8242.jpg

On 9/21/2023 at 12:35 PM, chattius said:

mushroom weather, sunny in afternoon and wet in morning fog

7 pounds while doing a walk with the dogs: different boletes, chanterelles, blusher, champignon, ...

could add bear garlic from our indoor garden for a nice mushroom pan

The nice thing with bear garlic: has garlic taste but you don't smell for it

I'd been there in a second for the mushrooms !! We have two more recettes left from the Good Food Box, and one of them has mushrooms as its main ingredient against a vegetarian palette... now you got me motivated

gogo

On 10/11/2023 at 9:32 AM, chattius said:

Ate some tunesian ghoulash/tagine from quinces and lamb for lunch while at Frankfurt. Wonder if I can use up the quinces and boar I have at home, The Ras el Hanout spice the restaurant used, will it work with boar?

lamb-and-quince-tagine-10615-1.jpeg

I'm not sure of whats the best paring, but I will make sure I get to try some of your ghoulash Chattius! .. tithes mah fwend...tithes!

:devil:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Sloeford Specials

Somehow there are no recipes with sloes in Sacred2

Sloe crustata

Mother in law recipe: Pancake like cookies  with mashed sloes, sea buckthorn berries, quinces...

Vitamin bomb for this autumn weather

Sloe Olives

Recipe from grandma, Since olives are not natural here: making a mix of very salty water with spices, boil it, pour it on sloes, remove bigger spice parts, led sloes ripe in glasses for some month. The main difference is that James Bond never used Sloes in his Martinis.

https://en.garden-landscape.com/eifel-olive-sloes-from-mediterranean-8659

lah201110-schlehen-crostatas-jpg--53641-

eifel-oliven-schlehen-salzlake-florapres

• Appreciation 1
On 10/27/2023 at 4:16 AM, chattius said:

Sloeford Specials

Somehow there are no recipes with sloes in Sacred2

Sloe crustata

Mother in law recipe: Pancake like cookies  with mashed sloes, sea buckthorn berries, quinces...

Vitamin bomb for this autumn weather

Sloe Olives

Recipe from grandma, Since olives are not natural here: making a mix of very salty water with spices, boil it, pour it on sloes, remove bigger spice parts, led sloes ripe in glasses for some month. The main difference is that James Bond never used Sloes in his Martinis.

https://en.garden-landscape.com/eifel-olive-sloes-from-mediterranean-8659

lah201110-schlehen-crostatas-jpg--53641-

eifel-oliven-schlehen-salzlake-florapres

There's so much interest in Sacred 2's foods... I dont think anyone ever forsaw that... they have a lot of interest to *mine* when the next *proper* sacred game comes out... let there be Sloe!

:oooo:

gogo

Aaaaand... this is hit number two at that cool local pizza place up the street which we used to order from years and years ago but now just walk to ... DANG...their stuff is good... pepperonni, red onions, LOTS of good, well-cured bacon... (that really gives it a hit) .. for CAD 12.65 for a medium... enough for me and Brad... check it out... yah were going back!

too bad the special pricing is only available  mon, tue and wed... goes to show ..if you look, there's good stuff out there !

IMG_8503.jpg