Food glorious food - What are you eating

Many Pizza restaurants here sell Federweisser to their Pizzas. At your place too? Or even with a poutine?

Next weekend the xmas time starts in city. Typical my favourite foodtruck will sell  Zwiebelkuchen (onion yeast cake) with Federweisser (wine still in fermentation). You can buy Federweisser in bottles. But they are not fully closed (gas from fermenmtation has to evade) so you have to transport them standing.  At firefighters we do onion cake and Federweisser 4th of advent.

Reads: fermentation closure, don't lay

700px-Federwei%C3%9Fer_nicht_legen.JPG

800px-Zwiebelkuchen_1.JPG

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Preparing Schalet (feared Hessian cuisine)

like a Rösti, sort of potato pancake but with rougher in stripe cut potato.

Our family recipe adds what we have in mass: boar bacon, bear garlic, quinces striped and leek.

schalet.jpg

• Like! 1
On 12/20/2023 at 7:32 AM, chattius said:

Preparing Schalet (feared Hessian cuisine)

like a Rösti, sort of potato pancake but with rougher in stripe cut potato.

Our family recipe adds what we have in mass: boar bacon, bear garlic, quinces striped and leek.

schalet.jpg

Bravo Chattius, looks filling and flavorsome... for us its just an omellette with some sausage, lots of quick packing before we had off on the train... yay, stores are open!

:)

gogo

We hosted a food and wine pairing evening with some friends a few weeks ago, Two of them, Anri and Samantha are also Chefs, Anri trained with my Boyfriend at the same chefs school, Anri's sister Jonel and her Husband Eric (he is assistant wine maker on Cavalli wine estate (Where I am going to be working soon).

Once again, I did not take pictures, I was cooking and plating the food, but I can show you the menu that we printed.

I did a bread course with a welcome drink, a 3 course meal, each course paired with wine (2 white wines with Starters, 2 red wines with Mains, 1 with Dessert and Friandise) 

1834454419_FoodandwinepairingDinner.thumb.png.2699a534ef4a6594e720f0f6151a57af.png

It was a lovely evening and everyone enjoyed it a lot, it was a lot of work for me, Ivan still had to go and work for a couple of hours the morning, he then came home, set the table and helped me prep where I needed him, made sure the wine are the right temperatures etc and then we had a lovely meal with friends.

• Appreciation 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hit the local eatery down the street before setting out for dinner with Ammamma... boy our little resto family is just the best!... after i made a small comment that the container of beautifully cooked chicken looked mouth-watering, she insisted on giving me some chicken and rice before she got the Pad Thai cooked up... and then sent me on my way with two lucky Chinese New Year Oranges AND a rice pudding... deeeeeeeeeeeelight :heart:

IMG_9476.jpgIMG_9482.jpgIMG_9472.jpgIMG_9473.jpgIMG_9474.jpg

Its winter, and hard to get to stores, lots of time used up to source during the winter... we have a great supplier who chooses a varied assortment of veggies and boxes it.. 39 CAD..u get to choose whether you want it delivered (7 dollars extra) or just the flat 39 ... im into numbers :D and weighted myself and then with the box... 20 lbs of fruits and veggies picked and delivered!
IMG_9502.jpg

IMG_9503.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 4:10 AM, chattius said:

We have still some winter vegs and we can collectsome winter mushrooms. No need for weekly visits to a supermarket. We have an electric indoor garden.  For us it is easy to reach the main storage cellar for vegan food. Boars and deers are frozen in an extra one. It is more work to harvest, make jelly, vegs in glasses, ...

The staircase ends in the kitchen. The place with the electric and water is atthe house side. It has an access hatchet. Using a plank we can slide down bakets with potato, apples,... The place frpm where I took the photo has a clay bottom to keep potato fresh.

The cellar was rebuild in its nowaday shape 100 years ago when the house was often not reachable for weeks.

Lehmkeller.JPG

Just cant get over your homestead Chattius..its wild and ...just even more wild! maybe one day you can take us on a walk through ? 

:hugs:

gogo

• Respect! 1

Wild

Currently there are some bales of straw at the place I stood while taking the photo. It is around 7C there. Nice temperature for hibernating 14 hedgehogs which were to lowweighted to survive outside. The problem was the drought in summer. Ground was to hard to dig for insects with their nose. So they could't get the needed fat layer. They need around 500g weight. Some were just above 100g. Freeing from ticks, feeding and keeping them at 16c in horse stall till they had at least 400g. Then moving into the cellar. Some were brought by friends who had no room.

Horses donÄt like the straw after it smells after hedgehog. So in spring I water the bales and cultivate mushrooms. Nice moisture and constant temperature.

On 1/23/2024 at 12:43 PM, gogoblender said:

Just cant get over your homestead Chattius..its wild and ...just even more wild! maybe one day you can take us on a walk through ? 

:hugs:

gogo

Agreed. You have spoken so much about your home and the area you live in... we want to see what it looks like!:crigon_04:

12 hours ago, chattius said:

Are you sure that your non-barbarian stomachs can handle our food? This evening at firefighters the old ladies in the village will do Kochkäse (cooked cheese). Which is Quark and Handkäse mixed with some natron. Slowly heated to 42C to keep the protein and bacteria. Then mix some butter, yolk and perhaps some carraway or bear garlic in.

It is a bit like the french Cancoillotte. But we use our local Quark and Handkäse. So it has a stronger taste, depending on the Handkäse.

Can be used to smear on bread, as a dip, sauce to Schnitzel,... poutine :)

omas-kochkaese-7093.jpg

I have a pretty strong stomach... South Africans also eat foods that other countries find strange. And I like eating local cuisines.

a strong stomach as well from here, Sri Lanka! ... though not as strong as my parents... the things they could palate! I'd find myself edging myself from anything that slightly resembled even a small piece of fat, tendon or gizzard..and if the plate was piled high with that sort of nonsense...into my pants pockets they'd go where a quick trip to the bathroom would end with a secret flush ... out horrible stuff..out out and away! ...until... one day the flush backed up and all my evidence showed up plain to see... boy was Dad ever made

:4rofl:

gogo

• Haha 1

In summer breaks most of us kids were at the farm of our grandparents. Being war generation they hated to waste food. The year their dog died we were fed with Saure Kutteln. Rumen part of cow stomach (normally given to the dog) cut in stripes, slow boiled and made sour with a sauce with vinegar. Served wiith roasted potatoe or Spätzle noodles. Tasted very good the first day, ok the second, but after three days ...

saure-kutteln.jpg

Grandma knew how to make strange healthy food tasty.

Dried rumen is a popular and healthy snack for dogs. The natural treat come from German country bovine and is rich in a vitamin and nutrient-rich piece of the cattle. The inhere completely covers the spectrum of B vitamins and contains vitamins A, C, D and E. Chewbones provide the dog with enjoyment and specifically fulfil the chewing needs and care of the teeth. Beef rumen can have a positive effect on the intestinal flora of the dog

slow boiled for humen instead dried for dogs

quote from

https://www.greenpicks.de/en/beef-rumen-dried-for-dogs-naftie.html

I am not the biggest fan of offal, but in the right dish or cooked well, I will eat it.

• zomgod! 1

oooh offal... hmmm.ew, ooooh, ewwwwww.. mostly.. mixed feelings... guess cuz i havent enjoyed it yet... so for now friends...this is all you get from me

:sick:

:lol:

gogo

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not one of my perhaps most exspeciallest best pizzas...but dang, dont those peps popping off the cheese look good after they cut it! ...you just know if you pluck those out they'll be extra crispy! 

IMG_9670.jpg

:D

gogo

Pizza

Can't beat a good warm selfmade Zwiebelkuchen (onion cake). Carneval tuesday I do them with yeast dough, sour cream, bacon, sour cream cheese, bear garlic, caraway and of cause onions. Add selfmade wine from sour apples and sorb tree fruits. Picture from a cooking site. I do them on BIG plates.

2515528-zwiebel-kuchen-landoel-olive-r.j

• Like! 1
2 hours ago, chattius said:

Pizza

Can't beat a good warm selfmade Zwiebelkuchen (onion cake). Carneval tuesday I do them with yeast dough, sour cream, bacon, sour cream cheese, bear garlic, caraway and of cause onions. Add selfmade wine from sour apples and sorb tree fruits. Picture from a cooking site. I do them on BIG plates.

2515528-zwiebel-kuchen-landoel-olive-r.j

looks absolutely delicious!
Id die for a piece!!

:drool:

gogo

Onsale... looks like theres just enough there to feed our family this weekend  :oooo: 

IMG_9713.jpg

:drool:

gogo

anyone know of a good way to cook EFFECTIVELY three packs of this stuff? I bought two maple and one smoked 

• 2 weeks later...

@Hooyaah

Pulled out the pic for you Steve, your suggestion of oven was P E R F E C T ... no crinkling, no curling, just perflectly flat pices of delicious crispy fatty goodness... 

IMG_9809.jpg

• Appreciation 1

That's wonderful to know, Rommel! The results are quite remarkable; thank you for sharing. Bacon and quiche! :drool:

You'll probably cook it that way going forward, right? There's no bacon grease splatter to clean up and no constant turning either. I'm happy to hear that it came out so perfect.

:JC_gimmefive:

• Like! 1
On 2/25/2024 at 4:53 PM, Hooyaah said:

That's wonderful to know, Rommel! The results are quite remarkable; thank you for sharing. Bacon and quiche! :drool:

You'll probably cook it that way going forward, right? There's no bacon grease splatter to clean up and no constant turning either. I'm happy to hear that it came out so perfect.

:JC_gimmefive:

It is remarkable indeed! I didnt think that bacon could come out like that... i LOVE how flat it is... this is pretty much the only way i want to make bacon now, specially as I dont cook it too often ... great idea STeve thank you :hugs:

And...I'd like to hear more about your fasting you mentioned in the world game thread... how are you feeling? Is this something you've elected yourself for specific results?

:)

gogo