The Related Word Game - 2017!

17 hours ago, chattius said:

creme de menthe -> Obelix

warm beer, boar with mint sauce, ...  Thanks God - that you made Britain as an island with lot of water between it and the civilized rest of Europe.

Asterix+in+Britain.jpg

Obelix -> Menhir

try and figger that one out

:D

gogo

menhir -> chicken

Menhir is old breton for a long stone, the ones Obelix is carrying. In the German comic it is named Hinkelstein. Myths say that the stones could only be moved by a 'Hüne' (giant person) and were named Hünenstein. With time this became a Hühnerstein (hen or chicken stone). And we Hessians have a slang which calls chicken Hinkel.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQffIEolXsaxvRU_bQlHMa

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8vQILEycTOW4KxRAkqb4

• zomgod! 1
4 hours ago, chattius said:

menhir -> chicken

Menhir is old breton for a long stone, the ones Obelix is carrying. In the German comic it is named Hinkelstein. Myths say that the stones could only be moved by a 'Hüne' (giant person) and were named Hünenstein. With time this became a Hühnerstein (hen or chicken stone). And we Hessians have a slang which calls chicken Hinkel.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQffIEolXsaxvRU_bQlHMa

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8vQILEycTOW4KxRAkqb4

Good story! These books could be found in all our bathrooms when growing up

chicken -> kiev

need a good recipe

:D

gogo

kiev -> war generation

Chicken kiev was created when french chefs were hired by russian nobles. These chefs used only the best parts. I think the old ladies who learned the hard way in war and after war years to make the best out of the few they had might have been the better cooks, I learned all about which herbs could be collected in times of need from my grandma - and hell, what she could make from it was so good.

Kiev, I could reach it with my Diesel car with its 90l tank without refueling. Modern war has no save distances.

• Like! 1

merchant marines -> 8 years

Before reunion: A friend signed as a cookie in the merchant marine. Signing for 8 years and you hadn't to do the 18month being drafted into army. I signed 8 years as volunteer firefighter and wouldn't have been drafted. But my sis got a brain cancer and joining army as an officer meant no costs for university and good payment.

The friend no runs an international restaurant with all the recipes he learned at his travels.

• Like! 1
5 hours ago, chattius said:

The friend no runs an international restaurant with all the recipes he learned at his travels.

8 years - career

thats fabulous with his success with his recipes from travels.. thats hard work and well-deserved

:)

gogo

practice -> Bauchgefühl

Will translate direct as belly feeling.

Intuition, gut instinct, gut feeling,..

When I was planting saplings for generations to come there were theory with its global warming models, opinions from forest rangers with long practice...

In the end I was listening to my 'Bauchgefühl' because models don't apply perfectly to our micro climate. Practice, there is no practice when trees need a century to get their size and all practice is mainly before global warming.

• Like! 1

survival -> mushrooms

Granny was 17 and a nurse at eastern frontier at end of WW2. She was fleeing through half europe to come back home. When we were kids she told us how to survive if needed. A big part were mushrooms: tinder fungus for fire making, some wood fungus to make shoes, what could be eaten,...

Guess my interest for nature is cause of her

mushrooms => toadstools

I seem to recall a book entitled, "Mushrooms and Toadstools & How To Tell The Difference," by the late Ima Goner, Ph.D. :hooyaah:

Spoiler

Wait, the "late" doctor? :ohmy:

• Appreciation 1
11 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

mushrooms => toadstools

I seem to recall a book entitled, "Mushrooms and Toadstools & How To Tell The Difference," by the late Ima Goner, Ph.D. :hooyaah:

Hide contents

Wait, the "late" doctor? :ohmy:

toad stools -> fry

luuuurve fried mushrooms

:)

gogo

fry -> Wanderstab (staff for wandering in nature)

I collect mushrooms while walking with the dogs. When I find a nice piece of wood I often carve a Wanderstab on the way home. A walking cane as wiki says is not exactly the same as a Wanderstab. My staves are normally head high because I live in hilly terrain. These nordic walking things are more for flat or easy terrain. With the staff you can check rocky ground for grip, or at water crossing, or to defend against robbers if we go some centuries back :)

21 hours ago, chattius said:

fry -> Wanderstab (staff for wandering in nature)

I collect mushrooms while walking with the dogs. When I find a nice piece of wood I often carve a Wanderstab on the way home. A walking cane as wiki says is not exactly the same as a Wanderstab. My staves are normally head high because I live in hilly terrain. These nordic walking things are more for flat or easy terrain. With the staff you can check rocky ground for grip, or at water crossing, or to defend against robbers if we go some centuries back :)

Wanderstab  -> mobility

lol Chattius, that word, wanderstab... sounds like a four level Magic User spell from D and D

:4rofl:

gogo

23 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Wanderstab  -> mobility

lol Chattius, that word, wanderstab... sounds like a four level Magic User spell from D and D

:4rofl:

gogo

A staff/Stab is when you grap it around two-thirds of its height. A stick/Stock at his often ornamented end.

mobility -> segway chairwheel

My mom had broken hip and shoulder after she was falling. We were looking for an electric chairwheel to boost her mobility. She decided for a segway variant. Insurance took 70% of the costs. Now she is able to use country roads to visit friends. Normally the small front wheels prevented this.