The Related Word Game - 2017!

fractal -> Apfelmännchen / small apple-people

We call pictures of the Mandelbrot set small apple-people. I remember when we calculated them at school on an old DAI computer. At least I learned to code in 8080 machine code. Which proved to be useful when I repaired the washing machine of my mom by installing a small motherboard with a 8085. The washing machine had lot of possible programs more now :)

Today I would have used a PI Raspberryi think.

DAI_Personal_Computer.jpg

The reason for the name small apple-people

640px-Mandel_zoom_00_mandelbrot_set.jpg

• Appreciation 1

fluffy -> diatomaceous earth

Quails are fluffy at least the first days when they just escaped the egg. To keep blood sucking insects away I use Kieselgur. In English it has the complicated name above. It is sediment from fossil algae powdered to fine dust. I hate to use insectoids considering that we eat the quail eggs.

IMG_0242-2-1024x768-1-1-scaled.jpg

55 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

diatomaceous earth -> ants

isnt this used as a non toxic ant killer as well

💪

gogo

Yes, you can use it against ants. It sticks to the oil layer on ant skin and they dry out. You can buy an anti-ant bag with 200g for 2€ at a vegan shop, or you can buy 10kg for 11€ at farm supply for you birds or as earth for bonsai trees :JC_hurrah:

ants -> European green woodpecker

What you put in one end of the woodpecker leaves on the other end

1280px-Greenwoodpeckerdropping_3414.JPG

Nice birds by the way. We have some near the house and whenever I cut the gras they look for ants.

1024px-European_green_woodpecker_eating.

• Haha 1

woodpecker => Ivory Billed

My wife has always been an avid birdwatcher and one day she spotted an ivory billed woodpecker on a pine tree in our backyard and we both watched it until it flew off. She subsequently reported the sighting to the Texas Dept. of Parks and Wildlife. Later, there was a confirmed sighting elsewhere in the state, although the bird was/is now believed to be extinct. Yet, some wildlife biologists believe that a small population my still live in swampy portions of Louisiana.

Ivory-billed_Woodpecker_by_Jerry_A._Payn

rqemckeaaf5cmc0kbjzr.jpg

• Appreciation 1

ivory billed -> cuckoo

Global warming, the birds which are used by the cuckoo arrive earlier from Africa. When the cuckoo finally arrives there are no eggs in the nests but nestlings. No chance that the birds will raise a late cuckoo nestling. I hear them very rarely now and  report the place. There are several projects how to save the cuckoo, one is to capture cuckoo and teach them to breed themself.

adobestock_336456676min-1024x662.jpg

17 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

woodpecker => Ivory Billed

My wife has always been an avid birdwatcher and one day she spotted an ivory billed woodpecker on a pine tree in our backyard and we both watched it until it flew off. She subsequently reported the sighting to the Texas Dept. of Parks and Wildlife. Later, there was a confirmed sighting elsewhere in the state, although the bird was/is now believed to be extinct. Yet, some wildlife biologists believe that a small population my still live in swampy portions of Louisiana.

Ivory-billed_Woodpecker_by_Jerry_A._Payn

rqemckeaaf5cmc0kbjzr.jpg

thrilled to hear about the sightings of you and yours wife Steve! There's something heart warning and satisfying about a secret society of red haired woodpeckers hidden deep and undiscovered in the swampy far-off corners of Louisiana...Go woodpeckers go!!
:superman:

3 hours ago, chattius said:

ivory billed -> cuckoo

Global warming, the birds which are used by the cuckoo arrive earlier from Africa. When the cuckoo finally arrives there are no eggs in the nests but nestlings. No chance that the birds will raise a late cuckoo nestling. I hear them very rarely now and  report the place. There are several projects how to save the cuckoo, one is to capture cuckoo and teach them to breed themself.

adobestock_336456676min-1024x662.jpg

self- breeding...yeeks... awww, all the fun gone :lol:

cuckoo -> clock

had a friend who's parents collected them. hour on the hour... madness and calamity and run for the ear plugs time

:lol:

gogo

clock => clockwise :hooyaah:

Most (99%) tornadic rotations in the northern hemisphere are clockwise. I experienced one that was anticyclonic which touched down in my front yard while I was in the garage watching. I was about 12 meters away at the time and I witnessed it moving south. After the power went out, I walked my dog, Mozart, a Shetland Sheepdog, through our wooded neighborhood and noticed that the twister had been cutting to the west and then back to the south numerous times. It threw a large oak tree against the roof of a single story dwelling and then traveled westward across the duck pond. It then took down a huge redwood tree which was about twenty meters tall, breaking it near the bottom like a stick. I think that I'll try to stay at least twelve meters away from this sort of cyclonic activity in the future. :agreed:

• zomgod! 1

clockwise -> turpentine

Turpentine oil molecules are clockwise orientated in american turpentine but anti-clockwise in french one. I think different trees used. Germany uses traditional a different way of winning the wood oil, using local trees which need a fifferent way of production, called Kienöl.

My heating system uses wood pellets, They are turned into wood gas. The gas drives a capsuled engine. The cooling water heats the house. The engine also generates power Turpentine remains in the wood gas are to be avoided because they crystallize and damage the engine.

Bhkw_schema.png

Thats why they are called BHKW, Blockheizkraftwerk, block powerplant with heating. They have to be small and capsuled to use nearly all the energy.

800px-SenerTec_Dachs_Pro_20_LichtBlick_Z

• Like! 1

throw up -> boar

Dancing schools give a ball at the end of lessons. Boys have to ask the parents of the girl for allowance. The 13 year old boy came while I was butchering a boar hanging on a tripod. Guess what happened when removing the intestines.

101-012.jpg

• Like! 1

wine sauce -> Dampfnudel

I miss my gransparents. Grandma was from german speaking part of Italy. Grandpa was used to Dampfnudeln, grandma wanted them sweeter and so:

Dampfnudeln mit Zabaoine, instead the german Weinschaumsosse

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like! 1

Dampfnudel -> noodles

not quite noodles, but my uncle's last time he made fettucine carbonara for us was pretty epic... that along with the small bags of beautiful paremgianna he gave us as home gifts was simply beautiful

image.png

4 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

noodles => ramen :bounce:

(affordable and budget friendly meal) :agreed:

ramen   -> fast

sooooo fast.. hard to believe that those little packs are filled with pre-fried potato chips in the shape of noodles :P  I especially love the ones that come with multi colored shapes of fish and algae...these are delightful... can never get enuff... and if you have a bag of frozen veggies to toss into the boiling water, makes it perfect

:D

gogo

• Like! 1

fast -> nearly

In German fast means nearly. So fast-food is nearly food?

Good, cheap: Mettbrötchen They sell for 1€

Not steak, sausage, or burger but Mett is the reason I never will be a vegan.

Germany has very had minced meat laws. So eating raw salade is more a risk.

thueringer-mett-rezept-bild-nr-2.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThgRPL-MCL_QjRY15SU7b

• Like! 1