Currently Reading...

Just Curious what everyone is reading when not playing Ogame ^_^

Im currently on the third book "A Storm of Swords" from the series "A song of Ice and Fire"

by George R.R. Martin.

I find the series like a soap you watch in the afternoon.

Sevral little storylines from the different character perpectives, twisting into one fantastic story.

Theres war, bloodshed, plotting and revenge.

So far the current king has died, the kingdom split armies marching blood pooring and the hint that magic has return to the world.

Like any soap I need to know whats next, the more I read the more I want to.

Its sad to say but this series has been cutting into my ogame time :(

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gogoblender

hey crunchie!

man..I gotta say I absolutely adored that series!

Ya know...I was kinda wary about reading something that huge, especially from an unkwown author. But the writing is simply delicious! The intensity of the plotting, the lovingly drawn characters, the immensity of the worlds...and those dragons...man I love them!

And the funny thing is...it's like this whole world is starved fer magic! And..I don't think I've ever been drawn so deeply into a world that had so few spells in it!. the cool thing is...yeah after I was reading a few pages of it I quickly realized that there wasn't as much magic as I thought...but as my reading kept continuing...I became so enthralled with the scope, magnitude and skilled story telling that you coldn't have paid me to put that book down!

It was actually my cuz's gf that showed me the book..and after I tore through the first one, I avariciously hunted down the second and third books over at their place just to know what kept goin on.

And you're right...it's like some kind of soap...but those characters that Martin draws up are so intense...it's like so few books I've ever read before.

A great mention here crunchie...nicely done

And for all the rest of you that haven't gotten into George r. Martin yet...absolutely attempt to make this dude a priority.

I promise you you won't regret it.

Cheers!

:)

gogo

Great thread Crunchie. You have got me all curious about those books now....will have to track em down at the book shop next time I'm there.

At the moment I've just started Reading Steven King's Dark Tower series. Just finished book 1 'The Gun Slinger', it's an excellent book and it kept me wanting to read more and more...I'm just about to start the 2nd one...I have to stop waking up with my head in my books though at 4am!...wrinkles the pages ;)

Guest gogoblender

awwwwwwww...poor erialc...

here...pwezzie

*gives Erialc an iron*

:P

lol, dark tower series?

owch

k, that is the ONE thing that King has published that I TOTALLY don't understand. lol, I don't know what it is about tha series....I start a book...and then it's like...yawn...

yawn yawn yawn.

yeah I know...evil gogo...baaaaaaaaaaaad...it's his best series ever.

yeah...I know....

but still....

I' like....yawnnnnn....

Erialc is this the part now where you hit me?

:P

gogo

Just about to read "Everything is Illuminated" by Johnathan Safran Foer. I saw the film on thursday and it was really exellent. The dog's name is Sammy Davis Junior Junior heh

• 2 months later...

Currently trying to read two books for school, so abit hard to try and do that for myself.

1. October Sky by Homer H. Hickam, Jr. If you haven't heard, watch the movie, or read it, it's about a group of West Virginia Coal Miners, who are inspired Sputnik, to build their own rocket. It's either get out of their hometown, or they get to go work in the coal mines. It is a true story.

2. ON the Beach by Nevil Shute. Basically, so far, World War 3 happened, and there was a Nuclear fallout. Now a few surviors are living in Austrilia, living out there lives w/o a care in the world. (recklessly driving, heavy drug and alchol usage, orgies, cannablism, and other things of the nature) The whole time nuclear radiation is slowly getting closer.

Yea, gotta love school reading assignments!

Hmmm

I am reading a few books at the moment...

On The Road by Jack Kerouac (again)

-my all time fave book :yawn:

Memoirs of a Geisha

Henry and June by Anais Nin

and many books on fiction writing *sigh*

Gosh I always have a few books on the go at once too.....

I Never Promised You a Rose Garden by Joanne Greenberg

Cloudstreet by Tim Winton

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

All great books so far..... :)

Ah I am looking forward to reading Deception Point...we have it...but gotta read Angels and Demons first!!

Oh so much to do and so little time :blush:

Guest gogoblender

Ahhh, Neville Shut's ON the BEach...so sad...but so deep

That one gave me nightmares fer a long time

heh, enjoy yer read Equinox

:pitcher:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

If no ones read the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton or the Pandoras Box two parter by the same author, I can thoughtly recommend them. Esp if you're into you're sci-fi.

He has such a great imagination

Guest gogoblender

nice

I'm always lookin fer good new sci fi

is this a new author firefly?

think I can pick it up at the local second hand book store?

:D

gogo

Peter F. Hamilton has been around a while so u might get lucky in the 2nd hand bin at the book store but I doubt it.

He's still knocking fresh stuff out now and then... the last one being a real page turner.

Well, now that I'm done w/ On The Beach, rather depressing, but expected, it's time for my summer reading list to finish for the fall. /cry

The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw - Might get the audiobook verison to hear his voice again, gotta miss him.

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Already read it once and hated it, but have to re-read it for class.

A Rasin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry

As for books I WANT to read, I probably won't have much time for them..but if I get the chance..

Balkan Ghosts: A Journey Through History by Robert D. Kaplan. Was suppose to read for AP European history, but read something else. It's suppose to explain why there is such a conflict between the nations in the Balkans.

The 7th and last book in the Dark Tower series of Stephen King aptly titled The Dark Tower. I havn't finished it but the part I've read are just plain unbelivable. Stephen King makes very very good stories. /thumbsup

well to tell you the truth I dont get into reading much I am a movie FREAK! /drool But When I do read it is usually something to better myself or our life together. I will say this book when it was given to me I laughed it off like I had every time I heard the name. Not realizing exactly what wonderful things were inside.

ok you can stop holding your breath lol Men are From Mars Women are From Venus....

I will tell you now, you HAVE to get this if you are in a relationship, needing to understant the opposite sex, yourself, or same sex relationships. You will learn a great deal, and usually say to youurself *thats me* or *that is so him/her*

When I read it, Surf read a little too, just in what we read together, made our relationship better by understanding each others needs more. Give it a shot, you will be amazed at how well this book pegs u and your partner or partner to be!

Good Luck and Happy Lovin!

Nice, a lot of King readers.

I'm going through the all-time favourites right now.... Just finnished Lord of The Flies by William Golding and im already half way in Papillon by Henri Charriere.

Maybe I'll next read The Illiad and then The Oddisey or The Popol Vuh.

Guest gogoblender

I'm like the biggest king fan around

Dont' care what anyone else says about him

the guy is still a good writer imo

heh, I got a few books from him that I haven't read yet...savin em for a day when the power goes out

Candlelight vacation

Lord of the flies was amazing

Had ta read that in high school

Scared me then

still does

And I think papillon is a really good movie as well right?

Isn't that about some escape attempt from an island prison?

:)

gogo