Glasses....eep but now I am going mutton!

Does anyone here wear glasses?...I have been needing a new pair for so long I am embaressed to say so rather than suffer the headaches from reading I bought some of those cheapo ones for reading until I get some new ones from the optician. Now thats all ok, they are ok and I can actually see without my nose touching the page or monitor but I find (and this happened before when I wore glasses all the time) that if someone is speaking to me I have to take my glasses off... :P it's almost like they impair my hearing....why is this...this is the very reason I hate wearing glasses I feel like I am mutton jeff in them...it's so horrible! LOL I either have to take em off altogether to have a conversation or slide them right down my nose and peer over the top of them like Professor Yaffle (bag puss reference if anyone remembers it) LOL...Does this happen to anyone else or am I just really odd?...what is it LOL I don't like it but my eyes are so strained I am sure the optician will give me jam jars when I finally go back!

Jam Jars, lol. Oooh, secksy. :)

Funny thing is although I don't wear glasses I've seen folks who wear them do what you are saying all the time. I can't really say what it is but if I had to guess I would say it is because ... Ummm. How do I explain... Oh ok. I've got a similar experience. At work I am in a small office that is beside the front doors. People come and go we chat and so on. The upper half of the office I'm in is surrounded by glass with the exception of one pane of glass I keep slid open for sound/voices to travel through. About 2 feet wide. It happens a lot that people will stop midway through opening the door to step out that they'll engage in conversation with me and sort of hug the door during the convo. It took me a long time to realize what I often did in those situations but if the person was talking to me from the door it meant I was looking through the glass at the. I eventually realized that unconsciously I would subtly roll to the left in my chair so as to get them in view through the open pane thus removing the obtrusive glass between us.

I think it probably has something to do with a persons priority on communication. The eyes play a very big role in communication. Possibly even a bigger role than our mouths and words spoken? Just ask most any animal. :) Ever notice how much attention cats and dogs give to eyes? Certainly something in that me thinks.

Some people couldn't care less if they can see you or not whereas others, myself included, prefer to see the eyes of the person speaking to. Also... I think maybe childeren use their eyes a lot more for communication. Oh and parents too! When they need to give their childeren "that look" of authority. :P

So that's my very drawl thoughts for yah erialc, haha. Very interesting topic though. :D

Hmmm no I don't wear glasses...but some friends wear them....they look good

I only wear sun glasses sometimes I look like him >>> :) ahaha

Eleanor :P

Its supposed to happen before you get use to it. If it really bothers you, tell your optician, he/she will probably get you one that is not as sharp as you should wear, but will be more comfortable.

I myself have been wearing glasses since I was three, so glasses is a part of my life. So yeah it doesn't bother me a long time ago. I still remember how heavy those glasses were when I was a boy, gosh and the teasing etc. :P

Jam Jars, LOL! Claire, your words...man, that just made me laugh so hard. :) Me and glasses is a love hate thing. Vanity rears it's ugly head and for years now, I usually just leave them in my bag and/or desk doffing them only for work on my computer or watching tv. If I only had a penny for every set of glasses I've ever lost. This was the story of my growing up. Glasses bought, glasses lost...spanking.

Yes...there were a lot of spankings :)

Later on, for sports, my parents got me cool contacts but the problem was the irritation and itchiness I got from always having them in. And putting the contacts in...forget it. I remember having to play tennis and use seeming gallons of liquid to "swim" the contacts into my eyes. The result often being red eyeballs, bloated lids and most of it going down my nose.

I'd usually only play with one contact because of the tortuous sessions of having to stick them in. Later on, more glasses, more losses...and now, this set I'm stuck with has lenses almost as large as Mount Palomar's with the creepy effect of making me look like Owl Man. Or at least that's what my cousin says. Did I mention how I devie joy in beating him up?

My last adventure with my glasses thought them lost and me blind. I couldn't enough of the screen anymore and the forum was slowly fading away with all of your voices upon it! :D Five days of half-blind craziness that adventure cost me with a friend finally calling me to tell me that they were sitting on top of his tv at his house.

grrrrrrrrrr

Deaf in your glasses Claire? hahhaha. Claire, look into the mirror and say ten times when you wake up every morning...

I look great with my jamjars, I look great with my jamjars, I look great...

You just look great anyway, all the time Darlin

Great post

:P

gogo

Omg you are bringing back memories gogo. :) All the glasses that disappeared, "borrowed" by bullies, and so on.

Its too bad you can't stand the contacts, they are so much better when you go work out. Maybe you can ask for one of those extra moist contacts (Aqua whatever :)) and see if those are better. Maybe you are just a tough man who shred no tear.

But contacts are worse sometime, say when you drop it. Gosh how can you find your contacts w/o glasses. Oh wait, what you dropped is THE glasses. :P

oooh contacts! When I was about 15 a mate of mine had some contacts that made his eyes like a cats...yellow and black LOL we used to wear one each till we both got sore eyes and his Mom took them off us!....I think I can only have one sense on the radar LOL...I cxan see or I can hear...I can't multi task the two :P Anyone got a hearing horn?

I used to wear glasses as a kid too and yeah I really remember the p*** taking but thats not why I don't like em...LOL for some bizarre reason I seem to loose half mi hearing wearing them...anyone know of a good vet?

... for some bizarre reason I seem to loose half mi hearing wearing them...

OK

I know your problem and why it is happening. Your ear muscles are not strong enough. You have to wear heavier ear rings to make them stronger. And you will see the difference (after couple week or so). Or if you don't like to wear bulky ear rings, just try to find old style scale with measuring weights. Place the 5 or 10gr weights over your ear, and try to wiggle your ear constantly. You have to do that 5 minutes at a time and around 7-8 times a day. Than your ear muscles will be strong and able to support your glasses. Or you could tabe those weights over your ears and jump like this guy :P

Those who read my words and felt down the chair, I am sorry for all of you. Now where is my beer :)

Prof. Doc. MD. Phd. Yarasa

And I approve this message :)

Actually Claire (lol Jam Jars) you are actually instinctively are doing the correct thing for your eyes.

I wear glasses if my eyes are starting to get tired at the comp or reading (I am long sighted so don't need them for distance) but my glasses were made multi-focal so I didn't have to do exactly what you are describing I can go from reading a document to looking at my computer to a person standing at my desk without taking them off, but if I was to get up and start walking around then off them must come.

If you are wearing the el cheapo's from a pharmacy then they are just one distance enough for a book or computer if you wear them for any other distance then you are causing your eyes more harm than good

Pluck up the courage and go see an optician and get them tested and explain what the main use is because there are alternatives to plain readers. (can you tell I have opticians in the family :paladin: )

:o Doc Yar! Are you sure you have a license to practice? ahaha

Thanks Funkified, you are right I have to get that appointment made before long I'll be like a mole or something lol.

Have both contacts and glasses, but the glasses are backup :o but I only started wearing contacts when I was 12. Been into glasses since I was 8 or something.

Loosing your contacts can be a pain, I've lost mine twice now, one that is. But another time I lost it on my way to school, couldn't find it, went to school, came back about 7 hours later and found it again. 8-)

The explanation makes sense. I'm no doc or anything, but the ear is essentially ligament with an outer skin. And the shape is almost exclusively held by peripheral facial muscles. Anyone should be able to move their ears by raising their eyebrow dramatically (because the muscles of the two are linked).

Facial muscles are weak, and as you have never had a reason to develop them it is a plausible reason. Ask your optician, he should be able to help you with a model that is less heavy on your ear.

Btw, I practiced so long before I can raise only my left brow. Yeah yeah I'm hopeless I know. :)

Doc Yar eh. :o

I'm with you erialc. I find my specs make me seem remote. Can't stand walking down stairs in them either. I'm lucky, at a pinch if I squint enough and the light is good I can read OK. So I leave them off most of the time.

I got new specs this spring. They gave me two pairs. Not what I asked for - they knew best, I only paid. So now I have a reading pair and a distance pair which I don't need and the blasted PC screen is between the two, and I have to wear an old pair of my wife's for this.

No fun getting old. Not that you would know, I hasten to add. :cow_white:

I've been wearing glasses for more than ten years, and ... I find myself lost without them (you are talking about finding a contact lens: I can't find even my glasses without them). Not that my eyes are that worse, but ... maybe they are too lazy.

So, unlike Claire, I feel uncomfortable looking at people without my "Jam Jars." I can't focus them, my sight is vague, and I feel like dreaming. It is like talking with my eyes closed. I'm so used to them that I even tried to wash my eyes wearing them... what a funny sensation is to find glass instead of eyelids... But that's just me.

I suppose they don't feel natural to you, Erialc, and your eyes/brain still accept them as a foreign object (illegal aliens) and not as part of your vision instrument (permanent residents).

Best,

-dn

• 2 weeks later...

I tried contacts for the first time a few weeks ago - lol - It was kinda wierd.

I got fitted for glasses - I got a pair about a year ago - (wore them briefly, then lost them somewhere in Incendareous's car - <to Inc: Yes, I still think they are there> :4rofl: ). It was not scary for me at all - He checked my eyes - fitted a trial pair, showed me how to put them in and take them out, and that was it. They are the kind that last for a month and you throw them away. Disposables..LOL.

But they are kind of cheap I thought. In AUS $ 120 for three months supply. Anyway I was impressed and maybe they could be an option for you. I must warn you! It's a lot easier when the eye doctor (Yes, I can't spell it! ) puts them in and takes them out. It was a real challenge. But I am told it's a knack and you get used to it. Good eye sight FTW!!

:4rofl: you can all laugh...I am actually, today had to be at my kids school early to see his races...so I get there, he races and then I have to wait *sigh* till the end of school to collect him. My idea, ok I'll sit in the car and read my book....Oh I have those cheapo glasses too!...*sits and reads*...time to get the pixies....gets out of the car....walks across the road...still wearing el cheapo's and falls off the curb :4rofl:....so now tomorrow is the time I book the appointment to the opticians! No more el cheapo's for me!

Yay, and after your Style-Up you could stick one-sided Mirrors on your Glasses.. just for some Spaciness :)

Or just get some of those Knockers with that huge Black Frame.

I like them, they look pretty cool :4rofl: But unfortunately they don't look good with me :)

And the most stupid Thing about Glasses is.. whenever you look for them, you actually wear em.

Good God, how often did I have that "Doh!" Effect :4rofl:

Aww Claire, wait until you get your new fab glasses, there are so many frames to pick from, I love the Dolce Gabbana range.

My normal thing is when I really need my glasses, I have left them at home or I have unknowingly left my sunglasses on top of my head (really great headband) and wearing my glasses, and get told how many glasses do I actually want to wear on my head at once. :4rofl:

I too am a wearer of jam jar lenses. I have been wearing glasses since the 6th grade (too many years ago to count) LOL. I have contacts also but suffer from dry eye so I don't wear them very often. I am extremely near sighted, almost to the point of being legally blind without them. I understand the tripping hazard you went thru erialc, I go thru that each time I get new lenses, lol the change takes a couple of hours for my eyes to adjust too. I just make sure that I take hubby with me when I get new glasses so he can lead me around and keep me out of trouble. lol. Good luck when you get your new glasses. And to All "just got verification" SACRED GOLD will be here on July 12th :hugs: so Hubby and I can finally get started with toons to be able to play with you all. HURRAY! Will work dilligantly to get new toons up to speed to join you all in the great "Sacred" world. Well to all take care and see you soon in Sacred

Angel AKA Stargazer

And to All "just got verification" SACRED GOLD will be here on July 12th :devil: so Hubby and I can finally get started with toons to be able to play with you all. HURRAY! Will work dilligantly to get new toons up to speed to join you all in the great "Sacred" world. Well to all take care and see you soon in Sacred

Angel AKA Stargazer

Great news Angel, hopefully with the time difference I will be able to join in with the fun and frolics of getting your toons up to speed