Nanite Factories....a deeper look.

Yes I know we all have them & they're a necessity. DUH! But what are yours at? Do you have a set standard on all your colonies or main? I have (2 level 4) (5 level 3) and (2 level 2) I've been slowly upgrading to metal 32's and crystal 28's and I find myself sometimes getting just slightly annoyed by how long it takes. After all, the resources are spent and eventually you will get the points but I get anxious! Is there any reason to really rush a mine build? Should I bother upgrading all nanites to 4? What about 5? Oh how I'd love nanite 5's across the board. I dunno! With Nanite 5 I could pump out beezers in 3.5 mins or a probe in 3 seconds :unsure:. WAIT! what about a nanite 6...perhaps im just getting absurd.

I have 1 nanite lvl5, 2 lvl4, 4 lvl3, 2 lvl2. I upgrade to lvl5 and lvl4 just because of ipms, otherwise it would take forever to build them. and I dont worry about how fast im building ships or mines - I have time for that :)

I have had nanite 5's before on a different account, but unless you plan on consistently making top 10 hits it is more cost effective to deploy res to 3 or 4 Nanite 4's. I would aim for a nanite 4 on all planets with a moon, and a 2... eventually 3 (~4mil points) on all planets without a moon.

There is no real hurry to spend your res, but nanite 4's on moon'd colonies do quite well. Unless you are growing faster then I am right now (And I'm the fastest grower in uni 9) then I would not get your first nanite 5 until about 5 mil points.

Again, that is just an opinion, your style of plan depends alot on it.

Edit: Gintukas just brought up a great point, for nuking I would recommend 5, or even 6 if its a nice mooned planet. Unfortunately I've never been nuking. :)

Edited by Blade

I have 7 x lv 5 and 2 lv 4's. The rational behind my nanite levels is that I prefer to have a crystal mine take as long to build as it takes to save up for the next crystal, so that as one is finishing, another is being started or the res is enroute to another planet. The 2 level 4s are there because I am too lazy to spare the res for one of them just yet and the other is a space issue.

The side effects are nice; faster ships and defences.

Lv 6 is a long way off yet as I think that I can get to at least lv 32 xtal before considering the next upgrade (that and lv 6 nani will seem very cheap at that point.)

I've got level 4 Nanites across the board, I'll upgrade to level 5 before I start upgrading to level 31 Crystal mines.

edit: With level 5 Nanites, you'd be able to pump out almost 3 RIPs per day.

Oh GoGo, you don't know what behind IS! With the current account (my original), I have level 2 on my main and primary attacking planets and level 1 on six of the other seven. Space being the primary concern with the last, although I may spring for it. For the most part, my account has never been mine intensive and ship speed has rarely been a major enough issue to justify the expenditure. It is possible I am going to delete a pair of planets to create IPM colonies to hit *someone special* in which case I'll probably spring for at least Nanite 2 or 3, depending on what kind of speed I need.

On my old-and-now-defunct iIi account, which I used to nuke Eleanor and Solar among others, I had one Level 4 for Solar, three Level 3 and three level 2 for Eleanor, and a level 2 on my main and level 1 on my last planet (in SS with main). The ONLY reason for the Nanites (other than the Main) was IPMs.

edit: With level 5 Nanites, you'd be able to pump out almost 3 RIPs per day.

I've not tried that one yet.

I do highly recommend going to lv 5 before doing lv31 xtal mines, or it takes ages. Luckily with lv 5 my first lv 31 xtal mine only took about four and a half days.

With my previous acc I got one lvl3 and one lvl2 under my moons, and 6 more lvl1. I was planning on deleting the last colony, so I kept it naniteless. Otherwise, I needed the nanites mostly to recover my lf's after hits.

I have level 4 on my home, with 2 level 2s in the same system. I have another 2 elsewhere, 3 1s, a 0 :) (gotta upgrade that...) and a 3 on my other mooned planet. I'd like to get up to 5 on my main before going for grav, but I only have 1 free slot left. Although I could deconstruct storages, but I just can't be bothered saving up the res. And my home hadn't been probed for months until last night anyway. (gintukas :D:))

I do highly recommend going to lv 5 before doing lv31 xtal mines, or it takes ages. Luckily with lv 5 my first lv 31 xtal mine only took about four and a half days.

Yeah, I think I'm goingto have to try trading to get the crystal for a level 31 Crystal mine (32m crystal!), as it stands, it'll take at least 2 weeks to save all the crystal up. Still, atleast my crystal production is getting into line with my metal now.

Mine range from level 5 to level 2 depending on the planets. I built the higher level ones on planets with more fields - who needs a level 5 on a planet with 225 fields? *lol*

Is there any reason to really rush a mine build?

Of course. The faster you get a mine built, the sooner you start raking in the extra production, and the better the res expenditure pays off.

I have nanite 4 pretty much across the board now... they're nothing but beneficial. Faster mine production, a good chunk of permanent points, and the faster your ships are produced... the saved time is worth any extra cost; convenience is a worthwhile expenditure too.

Plus when it starts to take 2 weeks to build a mine it begins to get a bit demoralising. There will eventually come a time for every long term player where a lv 5 nanite looks like a cheap investment compared to another mine.

I wonder how long (if ever) it would be before a universe is dominated by miners with such high defences/techs/etc that he only ships capable of sucessfully attacking would be fleets of RIPs?

Llama, you have an interesting point there, but.... not all miners have lots of defence. Defences are a waste of res that could be used in the persuite of more mines. There should only be a need to protect a couple of days res production at the most. Maybe on a couple planets or moons, there will be enough def to cover a couple of days output from a few planets so that stores dont overflow. Most miners' fleets should be an easy kill for a fleet of BS/BC. They are likley to consist of a lot of cargos, which are almost incapable of standing up to anything bigger than a LF.

I do think that eventually you'll start seeing adv 20% made up of a miners SC/LC fleet, after a botched FS. I'm sure that there will be big RIP hits on the bigger defences out there, and the simple way to aviod these is not have a HUGE def, but as I've already said enough to cover a couple of days. And if you are a miner with a bit of a fleet have enough to be able to ninja 10 RIPs or so

I do believe what seperates a turtle from a miner is that a miner will FS all his fleet/res all the time, a turtle wont.

Miners FTW!!

([bACKSEATMODDING] mods: mite wanna make mine and llamas last posts a new topic as I believe this could lead to some serious discussion:) [/bACKSEATMODDING])

Edited by Firefly
Llama, you have an interesting point there, but.... not all miners have lots of defence. Defences are a waste of res that could be used in the persuite of more mines. There should only be a need to protect a couple of days res production at the most. Maybe on a couple planets or moons, there will be enough def to cover a couple of days output from a few planets so that stores dont overflow. Most miners' fleets should be an easy kill for a fleet of BS/BC. They are likley to consist of a lot of cargos, which are almost incapable of standing up to anything bigger than a LF.

My account, for example, is like this.

• 7 months later...

I have 1 lvl5 - needed it for gravi - , all the rest are lvl3 expect my latest colony (lvl2).

used to have all lvl2 but it got frustrating when helping gintukas to glaze a planet my ipm production become painfully slow ... I had to shoot from 3 planets in order to shoot as many ipm's as he was able to shoot from one :/

so I decided to upgrade to lvl3 and next step will be lvl4 on all planets below gated moons.