How long has it been?

Well I finally got my mojo back somewhat well enuf to tackle the world of Ancaria once again. So I decided to go to an old school way of playing bare bones nothing. And I went completely out of my normal here. I havent really sat down and played one of my favorite toons in a long time. So I broke out my old plus folder. Started looking through my builds and found a basic poison mist de build I never really finished. Then I sat down for a long time thinking about it. Do I want to shop.

We all know that our low level traders are nice and come in handy when starting out our toons. But how often do actually go back to how we actually had to start our accounts. From Scratch nadda zero zilch. I can tell you this I have no freaking clue how I was able to do this all those time after loosing a toon back before I muled my gold on to a trader or even before I had a trader. This has been the most challenging way to play and let me tell you. I am having a ball. I had honestly forgotten how much fun it was to see my life flash hit the space bar and wipe my brow in releif after a battle with a big mob.

So my question and challenge to the vets on here is this.

How long has it been since you played a bare bone nothing toon.

And do you thing you can do so with out the use of a low level trader.

Most times this is how I build, My muscle seraphim as well as my dark elves were built this way. Its really nice to have a full start but I build this way as a test if he or she will survive to 20. If I do then I outfit with what ever I have stashed away.. I don't want to lose anything special while they are so weak.

:pitcher: quite often :oooo: though I don't experience death that often (twice since I have started) I normally delete because I get bored with a build but my last dwarf I built and he only wore what he found as his greed increased.

All of my successful toons have started with the basics: 5000 gp, a torch, a few healing potions and a basic weapon. I have gone the other way and made a temp toon to gather items, but they usually die. All of my current stable--level 141 greed dwarf, level 128 DS glad and level 128 melee vamp rose through the ranks the hard way. Some die on the way, but the strongest make it to plat at least.

Oh I'm guilty of having spoilt characters for a long time now, hehe. I shower them with as much as possible and then let them ride the wave. It can actually be a bit of an exhausting process though, preparations and all. Recently I've changed a bit to rely more heavily on dwarf forging and less on shopping which has proved very succesful. The only thing I focus on now when starting a toon is getting as many sockets as possible and filling them up with max forge Dwarf socketing.

Would be nice to just run straight into battle without any prep though. I may give that a go. :)

I'm starting to go bare bones too now. Recently I've been shopping and wasting tons and tons of time and bravemart. It seems that this makes the beginning characters too good, and I get too comfortable with them. I tend to venture out faster than I normally would with these characters, and end up getting killed by fighting monsters several levels ahead of me. Granted, this is my problem from not being careful, but when I don't shop I don't venture out too soon.

I guess the answer would be - I've made the last 3 or 4 bare bones....

Last summer I tried a character along the lines of the hc challenge offered in the spring, I believe:

No shop, No leech, No red potions -- just use what you find.

Makes for much slower starts but it can be fun.

Got up into the 30's before Kami started sucking all of my time. Now, it's the wiki -- haha

I always start bare boned - as I dont have any mules to mention even :) .

My problem is more that all people are just to nice, when they see a level 1 toon enter in bronze I get showered with offers of items, runes and money. :hugs:

It's been a while but I have done it and got them to niob. There is nothing worse than seeing someone muling a heap of uniq's and sets to a brand new toon only to get splattered before they can even use it...:) yeah I know I have done it to but I'm a bit like Ari I'll wait till they get a few lvls at least, same goes for naming them too :hugs:

It can eb done and as you sid Evil it can be a ton of fun to go out with all you have and no more, no extra's and stuff, really rewarding :hugs:

I never have a trader... I found them too hard to maintain, and it takes up a character slot. I do take trading whenever possible, and let each character fend for themselves.

So I guess you can say I build my characters naked. I do sortie my characters after they reach gold. I rebuild my character alot in the old days, so I typically refuse to use any good items before said character reach gold. And since I almost only play BM, with a mammoth trading suit they are all half decent trader by themselves.

Hi :)

Well when were given the opportunity to obtain keys for the german servers I started a brand new Dark Elf there. I didnt met there anyone I know so basicly I was alone with that char. No traders and more important no 3 other accounts with years of loot to aid the newcomer. I played him a few hours (5 to be exact) then we got busy with thoose RUNS and now I am not playing Sacred at all for the moment. But he got to level 51 and found several nice items.

Maybe we could start some chars over at the german mates to show what FDM is :hugs:

btw:

I played a bit Mythos lately. Guys it was sooo fantastic to be a Noob again! Sooo refreshing :hugs: And its quite a nice little game.

I have dial up so I can only get into rooms with someone there already and it takes a while to join so I rarely get to mule anything. This is how most of my toons are made. The exception has been my shards mages which have had stuff or money given to them. This is how I'm doing it at kami this week. I'll get somestuff from the freebie pile but mostly it will be me and my trusty torch at the begining. I occasionally will mule ammys and such to my daemon but thats cause she doesnt get trade on her own... all the rest I save a slot for trade.

I just started my new account last night. I managed to install to the other computer by copying the files from the DVD. Of course the other computer can't play very well, video is real shaky but it's fine for muling. I'll just level my mules on my main computer.

I'll still send my guys out naked, making them fend for themselves until silver. If they survive to level 40 then my mules will equip them.

I did use low level trader dwarfs for a while but found it took way to long and took the fun away from building new toons. It made nearly all of the drops from the first 30-40 level's pretty much useless. It's much more fun to do it the old fashioned way :mafia:

I went against my normal playstyle for today's kami. I used my mule to equip a new WE and started her out with a level 9 multi-shot and 30% life leech.

She died in the desert before she even got to level 20

I don't mind starting whit basic stuff, it's nice to see if the toon has luck or not. It's been really long time since I have even started a new toon and allmost as long as I have been away from servers. Too much goodies on too many characters on two different accounts and only one PC, I couldn't just delete those items to start new toon, so I'm stuck whit current toons.. (which are allmost all whit some goodies or then too good to be played more or too fun to be deleted)

All my toons are raised the hard way, as I can't seem to set up a Lan game to mule and the two attenpts I tried it online have been dismal failures, first time some kind person took everything before I could get my new toon back there, and the second time every one logged out when I did and I lost everything!

Hi podgie bear :P

Do you play in sc or hc? If hc, Im sure we can help you out with anything you need :) Just give us a holler! :blush:

I play HC, frustrating though it is. Goodness knows how many times I have been killed off, but I keep trying. One day I'll get a character strong enough to defend itself properly.

Hi podgie bear :D

Do you play in sc or hc? If hc, Im sure we can help you out with anything you need :) Just give us a holler! :lol:

I play HC, frustrating though it is. Goodness knows how many times I have been killed off, but I keep trying. One day I'll get a character strong enough to defend itself properly.

Well what toons are you playing. Sometimes it's a matter of toon vs playstyle. I always played mages, but I tend to rush right into the battle. I shard or fireball dragons from point blank range. Always impresses my party mates if it works, but I do kill a lot of mages.

Switching from ranged toons to glad/vamps was just what I needed.

Wicked Topic

It's been a while since I started a toon the way I did at the beginning. With so many peeps in the clan, friends and man toons all with money...I guess I'm opting out for making neat exotic builds that I'm more excited about with their high end rewards than bronze adventure/suffering.

:lol:

gogo

Yeah I have been that way lately Gogo that high end goods were the way to go but after starting several toons out the hard way its been a little more chllengeing not to mention if they die I really dont care because they didnt have anything good on them

I mostly do my tunes bare because well lets all face the facts I know nothing about traders and I just barely started learning about mules and well I am bad at that too lmfao. The only tune I really preped for with Evil's help was my DE which I havent played in along time lol. Vampie the First was bare and then I was given items to use when I reached the lvls for her and then she died and I lost it all. Vampie the Second started out basically bare because I had lost all of my stuff with the first. Alas along the way I have been fortunate enough to get items from ppl which have helped out she is now at level 70 as I played with her just this morning. Going in to prepared isnt my style as I am never sure how I am going to build exactly never had been good with strick builds lol.

Edited by Seductive_Vampie