Guess what I ate last night

shutterstock_701650.jpg

Just a tin of em...but they were soooooooooooo good!

:twitch:

gogo

p.s I never realized how many yummy goodies there were packed in oil at the grocer's...all kinds of really weird/cool things...like pickled tongues...not ready for that yet :bounce:

Tinned! never heard of them tinned! wow I wonder if I could get the kids to try them. I have only tried them when I was in Amsterdam at some resturant we visited and they ok somthered in garlic and butter but tinned....oooh worth a try at least!

When they're served in restaurants, the usually arrive on your table in a small ceramic dish with six holes, a handle and each snail pocketed in it's own recess within the dish, smothered in oodles of garlic sauce. I think I once had it a few years ago smothered in a cream sauce with small chunks of some kind of apple.

What I had gotten last night was just a tin of the beasties, about twelve or so, all covered in oil, and ready to pop into the mouth. They're very soft, chewy, sort of tasted like smoked oysters (at least when they come tinned in oil as well ) and infinitely eatable.

A nice treat, maybe a tad on the expensive side, but last night they just called to me.

:)

gogo

I must say they are too squishy for my taste. :)

That said, I think they are best baked with a spiced butter sauce, the Italian way. I'm not crazy on garlic usually, but a dip sauce of that is a delight for this. :D

heh, you guys are dead on with the comments on the sauce it's usually served in. After you get through the chewy morsels, it's another glorious treat in itself to just mop it all up with the crusty bread usually served.

escargotsL.jpg

gogo

:D haha Oh Im so with Sil on this one!! :4rofl:

Two things scared me about these as a child, One, knowing how close to slugs they are, and two, seeing my father eat them with his big scruffy mustache. :4rofl: haha No worries here, All the snails of the world are Very safe from me! :4rofl:

Now toss that garlic sauce on pasta, Im there!

It's funny, I look at snails and go urrrghhh but we here in the islands Invision-Board-France-406.gif have a dish called conch ( pronounced conk ) which are nothing more that I guess you could call sea snails You've seen pictures of people blowing conch shells I am sure. Anyways we eat them raw, in salad's, cooked with breading and in chowders. They are VERY good

Borg, what kind of consistency do they have being raw:) only thing that comes to mind eaten raw would be oysters which I just adore. Clams, Scallops, Vongoli, Pippi and Mussels which are all in shells which still require some kind of cooking, so very interested in Conch.

Edited by Funkilicious

Well I grew up right next to the sea harbor, and you are very right that most shellfish can be eaten raw. Again they are a bit too squishy for myself, but when they are fresh and unpolluted they make excellent appetizer.

I have never tried conch though, something to add to my to try list I bet. :lol:

raw conch?

Wow, aren't those like the biggest seashells around..made famous in Lord of the Flies?

conch.jpg

It must be a huge amount of flesh inside...how do peeps get this...do they have conch farms?

gogo

Borg, what kind of consistency do they have being raw:) only thing that comes to mind eaten raw would be oysters which I just adore. Clams, Scallops, Vongoli, Pippi and Mussels which are all in shells which still require some kind of cooking, so very interested in Conch.

Usually when they are raw they are chopped up very fine because of the chewy consistently They are a protected species here in the Florida Keys so ours come from up north in the Bahama's ( Well unless you dining at a friends house here. then you don't ask where they came from hint hint wink wink ) But for other dishes they are beaten to break up the fiber and make them less chewy. And it can be made as Conch Fritters ( deep fat fried with a coating) and Salad and chowder And my favorite

Cracked Conch

* 6 med. conch, bruised until thin & fairly well shredded

* 2 eggs, beaten until frothy

* 1/2 c. evaporated milk

* 1/2 tsp. salt

* 1/4 tsp. pepper

* 1/2 c. flour

Clean conch for cooking. Bruise (pound) with a metal mallet until very tender. Mix together eggs, milk, salt & pepper. Dip conch in egg mixture, then roll in flour. Fry in 1/4" or less fat (oil preferred) until brown.

Note: Where conch is unavailable, lobster may be substituted.

And yep Gogo thats the same one from the Lord of the Flies. They do have comerical Conch farms

Edited by Borg
shutterstock_701650.jpg

Just a tin of em...but they were soooooooooooo good!

:blink:

gogo

p.s I never realized how many yummy goodies there were packed in oil at the grocer's...all kinds of really weird/cool things...like pickled tongues...not ready for that yet :)

holy cow...GOGO!

That is exactly what I bought 2 days ago...it is packed with 20g of protein + little or no saturated fat! finally it cost only 1 bux at the groceries.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...