Viewing angle

human eyes are unreliable that's a fact. Fast & effective, yes, but trust worthy? :)

unreliable, or...different?

It's wonderful how perception is to unique that way I find. Noone can actually take the same photo naturally...all of us have different depth of vision, and look at the world from different heights, and with different stereo-vision, based upon the difference of width between our eyes. That and unique backgrounds all affects what we see and what we're capable of telling others we're seeing.

Frog, horse, jumble of lines... so many answers, so many different people.

Love it.

Again, nice post here Yarasa

:)

gogo

It's not the eyes -- it is the brain. And it is really remarkable how few visual clues are needed to establish an image as a "frog" or a "horse".

Your brain wants to see known things from visual input, so interprets the edges as a frog.. But a frog sideways is not "normal", so the brain re-interprets the image and sees something different -- a horse.

They've done studies with people using inverting lenses - to make everything upside down. People have a very hard time of it until -- bang -- the brain flips the image over and all is right again. Right, that is, until the lenses are removed and everything is upside down again. Proof that image recognition is in the brain, not the eyes.

The cue is the eyes in this case. Take off the "eyes" in the picture and most of us see nothing. Focus on the "frog eye" and you won't see a horse.

Surely its up to our brains to interpret all inputs, but one must realize how limited our eyes are. Our visual inputs is crazily chaotic compare to those of other animals. Much higher volume of inputs, but aside from reading fine prints, the effectiveness of our eyes are indeed less than most animals.

We just can't see as far, wide, fast than many "inferior" animals. There is a price for anything :drunkards:.

The amount of processing our brains perform - edge recognition, shape comparison, etc. is really remarkable. The eyes are remarkably well adapted to pass just the needed information to our brains -- or perhaps the reverse -- our brains have adapted to use the information the eyes can provide.

Whichever, the system is designed to work in the real, 3D world (or is it 11D?). The 2 dimensional image we look at here takes advantage of that fact, and intentionally provides misleading cues. This would not happen with a real frog or horse, or long ago we would have adapted differently, as sight that is that easily confused would be very dangerous to possess.

Not even as common as a winning lottery ticket -- it just would not be possible. So, don't worry about real life there, gogo -- we're safe enough on that account.

I think it's existenal fall out I'm having here Gial. I mean... to be able to change a "thing" from a horse to a frog...just like that... kinda makes me wonder how this would apply to problems in life, or in finding solutions to challenges.

Powerful stuff...you just need the cranial cpu to do the magic

gogo

Powerful stuff...you just need the cranial cpu to do the magic

lol!

It is quite impressive the ways our eyes can decieve us, or rather our brains can

~Doom