First time you cried at a movie

Do you remember? Do you want to? Are you finally able to talk about it after all this time? :crazy:

Mine was during Star Trek 2 - The Wrath of Khan.

300px-Star_Trek_II.jpg

I was young, and star trek was everything to me at the time. To see Spock slump against the glass walls of the radioactive containment unit, while stumbling about with blind eyes, his voice still filled with the poise only Vulcans have...I was wracked with sobs, trying to hide it from my family, and resented the fact that a movie could do this to me. That film is still, to me, one of the best things I've ever seen in a cinema. It was the Imperial, here in Montreal. Plush bucket seats, great sound, stucco'd walls, old world grandeur. And I remember klaxxons sounding off in the back of the movie, as Dolby began to stretch it's then new muscles in those days. The new score by James Horner had just been written for this (the same score used in The Next Generation), and it was fast, intense, with trumpet fanfares that could make you grin uncontrollably...It was enough to make me jump. The movie starring Ricardo Montalban has to be a model of pacing, acting, and ham for the fans. To have lost out on one of my childhood heroes, a model of steadiness through the chaos of space battles and the perfect foil for the ultimate captain..Kirk. It was enough to have my heart leap up into my throat, and have me let loose with the tears.

Okay, that's my confession.

Ready for yours?

:D

gogo

The first movie that I remember making me cry was 'Regarding Henry' with Harrison Ford. It was the scene where he was trying to tie his shoes and his little daughter did it for him. He asked "who taught you to do that?" "You did." she replied

There aren't too many movies that will get my tears--I can count them on one hand. But that movie did it.

Well I don't cry in public, period.

That said, AI's ending almost got me. Just something about hope and reality I guess, fairy tale yet realistic. The hope is granted, BUT... (I won't say it, watch it if you haven't done so). The "but" makes all the differences.

Ummm... I think I may actually have a list, lol. I'm one of those that will fight it all the way through. *in best manly voice possible with tissue in hand* Iiii... will... not... :P

Let's see. Never Ending Story, yup. When Atreyu's horse died, Artax. Yep, cried like a baby.

When my hero Optimus Prime died in "the real" movie Tranformers. Cried like a baby there too, yup yup.

Lion King when Mufasa died.

Gotta agree with Myles on AI. That was a moving moment.

Mask. Can't remember it very well anymore but that one got me for sure.

Now if you'll excuse me my room is flooded! :)

1st one I remember was on tv. Disney's "Old Yeller" had me sobbing uncontrollably. Probably was 3-4 at time. Only other movie that even got me choked up was Tom Hanks 'Philadelphia'. When they showed all the vids/pics of him at a young age at end of movie after he had died.

omg, lol..all you almost-criers. C'mon guys, reach for those feelings and tender wipes!

:)

gogo

Oh if you count "joy" cry I have one, Shawshank Redemption. I thought it was foreshadowed that Red would you know, but then it was you know.

Sry for being cryptic, but you will hate me if I have said it and you have yet to see this. :P

I'm not sure I can remember as far back as the first one I cried at.

A fairly contemporary movie though is ...

Saving Private Ryan

I was crying so hard at the end I had to wait until most of the other attendees had left.

Yes, I was in the military. Yes, I lost friends in Viet Nam. Yes, I know the film was about WWII but it was still about the military "Brotherhood".

Edited by Spock

I know that a couple of films made me cry when I was young, (omg - half a century ago!) and that more recently certain films have touched me (such as Saving Private Ryan and The Shawshank Redemption), but there has only been one modern movie that brought me to tears in public and that was Mel Gibsons "The Passion of the Christ" and it still does just thinking about it.

Dont know if it was the first movie that I cried in but its one that sticks in my mind.

The Sound of Music. The scene where the family is on stage and Edelweiss is sung by Captain von Trapp and then the whole audience joins in.

Oh dear...just thinking about it is bringing a tear to my eye......I'm off to the video shop to rent it out again (for the two hundredth time) :cha (18):

stubbs

tears of laughter, I would think clerks is likely suspect.

tears of mind blowing confusion, would probably be fight club. had to replay that night, was already out of my mind and just had to experience it again.

would concur with others on the war movies evoking alot of emotion. saving private ryan is very moving, so is blackhawk down.

Ok I have a list but if you mention this to anyone I WILL HAUNT YOU FOR EVER!

1. Disney's Old Yeller

2. Never Ending Story

3. Saving Private Ryan

4. Black Hawk Down (had to watch it RANGERS LEAD THE WAY)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I 'm not sure what movie is the first I cried at but I can say that I never cried for old yeller ( before you say heartless Ba*#*rd, I never saw it so how could I cry ) But when E.T. "died" I did cry but not due to him dieing. When I saw it the first time I was shocked, when I saw it the second time I did cry but because my older brother started pounding on me and hitting me and saying " You Ba*#*rd, You Never told me he died!"

Edited by Lord of the North

I'm with Knuckles on Old Yeller. Pretty contemporary to me as well - I was a youngster too.

More recently, (not too recent though) The Deer Hunter. Total emotional overload. Couldn't even leave the theater for 15 minutes after.

Another old Disney I barely remember (early '60s and another dog story too) Greyfriar's Bobby. I just remember seeing the dog and the grave. Think I need to find this one and see it again.