Ilgard's Judgement - THE SET THAT KILLS YOU!

Cthulhu

A break would seem a prudent course of action...

It is clear that Sacred 2 seems more and more like a rushed or an unfinished product - although a great one, I never had so much fun since Sacred 1 and UW. The patches so far have corrected numerous problems, yet still caused quite a few that were not there in 2.12. Makes me wonder how much time do ascaron guys assign for game and patch testing... Because unless they put a bit more dedication into it, the next patch may cause just as many problems than it can solve.

I doubt it is impossible. Every database has the opportunity to be changed. I know I'm not a professional programer, but I did my fair share of programming to be sure of that. I think there are different reasons at work here. The sad thing is that Cthulhu has to suffer all the consequences.

I just lost my Trader today to the same bug (I suspect, I need the ladder to update to know for certain).

Using Deep Wounds + Open Wounds on my dryad I went up against the Lord of the Flames.

~6k HP with his tempest hitting me for about 450/hit (so not really a concern when Ancient Bark healed me for ~350/s).

Suddenly he recasts blazing tempest and my life plummets, two ticks of damage from it and I'm down to about 5% life, and I die before the HP chunks from the 2nd blow vanishes.

Based on the speed that I died and the size of the HP chunks lost I suspect I was down to ~1000 hp or less. So I suspect that it's the modifiers in isolation that are bugged, not just their combination in Serious Open Wounds.

Awh Zinsho. I'm so sorry about your trader. That's a big loss. :) So you're thinking now that all wounds type mods are bugged with the 1HP thing? Looks like we need to do some serious checking on the wounds mods.

Not all mods, but rather the combination of Open Wounds + Deep Wounds. Serious open wounds is supposed to cause both statuses in one blow, and I was using both independently. What I meant was it was the interaction of the two effects, not that Serious Open Wounds has some bug in it's coding.

Stephane posted on SIF (I posted in the french RIP thread) that he'd been hit hard by Lord of the Flames before. However I was able to see the damage and I was quite confused as it happened. My life bar was half translucent over 90% of it's length (That fade in/out popping effect from weaken/wounds applying/removing itself)

And as to the effect of Deep Wounds.

3 players: Level 82 Octogolamus was reduced to 15k HP

1 player: level 88 Octogolamus had 101k HP

Since players increase the HP of opponents I'm assuming both should be at roughly the same amount even though levels are different.

It is clear that Sacred 2 seems more and more like a rushed or an unfinished product - although a great one, I never had so much fun since Sacred 1 and UW. The patches so far have corrected numerous problems, yet still caused quite a few that were not there in 2.12. Makes me wonder how much time do ascaron guys assign for game and patch testing... Because unless they put a bit more dedication into it, the next patch may cause just as many problems than it can solve.

On the German forums, if you look around, you can usually find posts from the Sacred 2/Ascaron QA Manager Frank. He has a link in his post signature that leads to a website run by him and some other German people who work on video games. Most recently on that website, he and some other people were having a lengthy discussion about the vast amount of resources that American and Japanese game companies have devoted to QA versus German. I haven't checked back, but I'm sure he is, in no small way, hinting towards how Sacred suffers from the lack of focus on QA.

Edit:

As for any further discussion of why they might have not been willing to fulfill my request... we can always hope in the upcoming patch that Ascaron is including a fix/compensation for everyone effected by the stupid Wounds bugs. :-/

Edit edit:

If you looked at the links I left, you'll find some details on how the software that runs the servers looks. Unless it has changed between now and when that thing was published... maybe there really is no way for Ascaron to restore characters or do rollbacks - due to Avarto not programming in any means to do so? Sigh, who knows. It strikes me as terrible foresight not to include such a functionality and protocol... after Blizzard demonstrated its usefulness in D2.

Edited by Cthulhu

Except that deep wounds by itself doesn't seem to cause the HP drop.

The Deep Wounds bonus on Niokaste doesn't seem to trigger it, it's something in conjunction with Open Wounds that causes it (thus Serious Open Wounds alone)

Except that deep wounds by itself doesn't seem to cause the HP drop.

The Deep Wounds bonus on Niokaste doesn't seem to trigger it, it's something in conjunction with Open Wounds that causes it (thus Serious Open Wounds alone)

And that, would be what is on Ilgard's.

And you're right... Deep Wounds doesn't do it. I've used it quite a bit on my new level 35 Inquisitor today, and he never suddenly dropped dead or had HP shrinkages.

Edit: PS - You have my sympathy. What level was your trader?

Edited by Cthulhu

72-73, and had Bargaining up to the point that keeping it maxed would be 3x my level at level 80 regardless of whether I upgraded my gear or not. (232 or so bargaining at the moment).

Lost a bunch of decent stuff with it, nothing irreplaceable that I can think of, but still a nuissance. (Was mostly rares/common sets/a few uniques I've seen more than once).

edit:

Wait, there was one irreplaceable item: A level 22 Chestpiece with +5 Bargaining +5 All skills... got it from niob when the patch still allowed it.

Edited by Zinsho

I have a theory that, with the prevalence of games also being released on the xbox etc, that the PC version is seen as a massive beta test. Console versions are much harder to patch, and so I think they release on the PC earlier to get widespread feedback on the game before signing off on the console version. It certainly, and sadly, sounds plausible. What do you think?

Oh, and sorry about the death. I have yet to play HC on Sacred, but I certainly know the feeling all too well from D2 and GWs (when aiming for legendary survivor). I, like others, suggest a refreshing spell in softcore or else a break altogether; maybe install an old classic for a quick spin, or find a gone-to-gold version of a classic you haven't tried. Either way, best of luck.

(p.s. for active and friendly D2 or GWs people try theamazonbasin.)

Edited by Coruskane

Hmm. Sorry to hear that they cannot restore your account. I'm not party to the "why". I just can guess that they are devoting their resources to game balance/bug patch. That way they will have a better product in the end for all users, including those harmed along the way...

*Sigh* Maybe we should be playing SC until the major bugs/triggers are identified? That way we can avoid the situations with our HC characters?

Hmm. Sorry to hear that they cannot restore your account. I'm not party to the "why". I just can guess that they are devoting their resources to game balance/bug patch. That way they will have a better product in the end for all users, including those harmed along the way...

*Sigh* Maybe we should be playing SC until the major bugs/triggers are identified? That way we can avoid the situations with our HC characters?

Thanks. And yes, I am leaning towards the option of resorting to SC. The game's current drawbacks in both the balance and bug departments are not encouraging for HC play. None the less, I am remaking my Inquisitor in HC, but I may end up stopping once I feel like I've gotten to a good point where I'll be satisfied for making up on the lost character.

And Coruskane -

I share your suspicion as well regarding the PC version being a quasi-beta for the console versions of the game. In its current shape and form, Sacred 2 would most likely never pass the QA standards of Sony or Microsoft's Xbox division. Suffice to say, I imagine the next patch update for Sacred 2 will be VERY big. Edit: My suspicion arises from the fact that the PS3/Xbox 360 ports will be most likely going to the presser very soon. The release date is, after all, only about 6 weeks away.

I just hope that it won't be so big that it will end up causing a bunch of rabble to spring up on the Sacred 2 OF, crying about how they don't want to download 1+ gigs worth of updates...

Edited by Cthulhu

Thanks for the info and sorry for the loss. I'll be sure not to put on the entire set. It looks so damn cool with dual red sabres though :P ...Hope they fix the bug soon as I will joining HC closed net in a few days.

.... why haven't they added you in as a secret boss in Sacred 2 yet? :)

Because he would pwn too much? Though to be fair, they've not added any forum mods as bosses.

I'm wondering now if the 'Weaken' Aura is bugged. I believe the Olms use it. I'd have to go research a bit but I think it lowers your your HP total (think the boss scorp also does this). But when you take an open or serious wound (or maybe just plain damage) either from enemy or from bugged equip it gets caught in a vicious loop and lowers your HP total to 1. I've never had this happen as all my toons used Grim Resilience (insane willpower boost) or Spell Resistance. Just wondering if your Inquisitor had SR on it.

Knuckles, Weaken reduces your stats by 20%, so that's why it reduces your health.

• 1 month later...

Just to update this - the Ilgard set bonus bug is caused by Paralyizing Dread. I can't say if there are other things in the game that cause "Chance to Cause Serious Open Wounds" to hit your character, but for the Inquisitor, Paralyizing Dread seems to be the culprit as far as erreniously hitting the Inquisitor with his own debuffs.

Edited by Cthulhu
  • 2 months later...
Just to update this - the Ilgard set bonus bug is caused by Paralyizing Dread. I can't say if there are other things in the game that cause "Chance to Cause Serious Open Wounds" to hit your character, but for the Inquisitor, Paralyizing Dread seems to be the culprit as far as erreniously hitting the Inquisitor with his own debuffs.

Seems like the xbox version is also bugged. I haven't had my character mysteriously keel over, but when using PD with the axe Orc Shock equipped, the game crashes after a few seconds. the axe has the same effect "Chance to inflict serious open wounds". I can confirm that on the xbox version, theres definitely a problem with PD.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I just noticed something today when I was doing a wild boar run with my seraphim she used some bracelets that had some of that property and I think it backfired on her because I saw the animation like she was bleeding out, dunno if this has any relevance to the matter.