MATHEMATICS, anyone wanna try?

I'm stuck on this fella right here.

If anyone knows would be nice! (hopefully I'll find it myself soon, still I wanna kno your answers). I know it's in Dutch but try to look at the numbers & letters ^^

scannen0003.jpg

scannen0004.jpg

Thx in advance!

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

PS: Probably made a stupid mistake but can't see it :4rofl:

Edited by Chareos Rantras

lol found it with a friend's help, I needed to take a double value at the discriminant like this:

p² + 2p + 1 => D = 0

so equals to (p +1) * (p + 1)

OR just change p² + 2p + 1 = ( p + 1 ) ² like below:

scannen0005.jpg

Now it's back to teh study table! :4rofl:

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

lol...the maths makes sense, but the dutch loses me...what were you trying to do? Prove two series are equivalent?

Yea I had to prove that the first formula is equivalent (Left side equal to right side of the formula). And the subject of this paragraphe is 'proof by induction' so I needed to use the induction method.

@Timo, Barri & Gogo: Yea that was my first reaction too when I saw my 300+ pages course book :4rofl: (agreed, the book isn't that big, but the math let's it seem like 1000+ pages)

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

Edited by Chareos Rantras

I do love a good puzzle but I'm much more curious about the secret messages. :oooo: Makes yah think twice about how you scan eh, lol.

30cq0qb.jpg

rivwc4.jpg

lol...the maths makes sense, but the dutch loses me...what were you trying to do? Prove two series are equivalent?

Yea I had to prove that the first formula is equivalent (Left side equal to right side of the formula). And the subject of this paragraphe is 'proof by induction' so I needed to use the induction method.

@Timo, Barri & Gogo: Yea that was my first reaction too when I saw my 300+ pages course book :thumbsup: (agreed, the book isn't that big, but the math let's it seem like 1000+ pages)

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

300+ pages is nothing...mine was 2000 pages but I was cheap and found one that only had the second half to save cash...ergo half the size. Too much maths in any case.

• 3 months later...

My daughter found this math thread and asked me what the proof would be, I thought it was for her school and so I helped her with an easy 2 minute proof, using a telescope sum.

+1	 1	 1	 1	2-1   3-2   4-3   5-4   1   1   1   1   1   1   1   1	   1	 4
--- + --- + --- + --- = --- + --- + --- + --- = - - - + - - - + - - - + - - - = 1 - -   = -
1*2   2*3   3*4   4*5   1*2   2*3   3*4   4*5   1   2   2   3   3   4   4   5	   5	 5

The inner sums have pairwise opposite sign. So only the first and the last term remain. Which would be 1-1/(n+1) = n/(n+1).

At least she learned about telescope sums, because I thought she wouldn't understand a proof with induction at her age. And then I had to explain her induction. So obviously no sacred playing today.

I paid university, first kid and room with correcting math homeworks. This type of maths is like sports, you need training to see an easy solution. And 4 years correcting this stuff is a lot of training.

Edited by chattius
  • 4 weeks later...

Whoa I'm glad I found the right thing for me in school. This looks hard. I did take some calculus but I did not do any proofs it was like applied math as applied to solving engineering problems or in my case chemistry..

The math in here is relatively easy to some of the stuff I had to do when I was studying Math at the university(gave up because to many physics for my liking)

Put a wrench in my hand ok, solve math problems like this or even chattius's ? Too Much eeeeeeeeeee :blowup:

OMG! It's 65 years since I last saw stuff like that. Go away Chareos, you make me feel old (older, senile, wizened, decimated, scrapped, there's a good word somewhere that I cann't quite put my finger on, etc).

Thanks heaven the problem was solved before I got here. Better get the oil can out and ease a few of the rusty bits if we are going to have much of this stuff on the forum. ;)

Edited by Bondbug

LOL. Bondbug, I love that your part of our community! As Chareos would say, you get two cookies. ;)

Sounds good; I will try them when I get my teeth back.

At present, mathematically speaking, it is something of a geometric impossibility. ;)