No sorry Gogo, but Text speak drives me up the wall. Especially when used needlessly. For instance there is a popular vodka based drink advertised in this country called "wkd", which is supposedly text speak for "wicked", but as far as I am concerned, it only spells that if you are illiterate. And this is an example of peoples spelling ability today, some people make no effort to spell properly. There have even been cases of people using txt.spk in their English exams! Basically, using it only proves that you are either illiterate or to lazy and ignorant of other people's feeling to bother writing correctly when you communicate with them.

I know, I am probably an almost extinct dinosaur, but at least I am polite enough to make the effort to comunicate properly. :(

Now I will go back to my siesta while waiting to die off and leave the world to ........ U wkd ppl.

Edited by podgie_bear

Couldn't have said it any better than Podgie

Maybe it's because I grew up in an era before the Internet and Texting. Proper grammar and spelling were pushed very hard in school and it's still with me. I'm not big on text speak, but I am partial to acronyms :(

Remember the lucky people who aren't native english speakers. I never had english at school and learned it mainly by reading. So if it gets any more complicated than 'u' I have to ask what the people mean. So in interest of all the other non native english writers (I wouldn't say that I am actually able to speak english) stay away from it. I learned several english words by seeing them and I would hate it if I have to forget them and relearn in the proper way.

:)

If murphy strike I will do a wrong interpretation of a word used in dark kitchen and I will end in jail because my family died of food poisoning ;)

Ha, I agree Podgie, I myself never use 'text' speak when writing neither on the net nor when I'm sending sms'.

Edited by Spunky

Luckily I see my 5 yr old and 9 yr old being taught to read and write properly in school. Hopefully by the time they are old enough for texting they will have full keyboards on there phones so that abbreviated spelling isn't necessary. I think in certain context shorthand (as us old folks remember it) has it's uses, however, when if bleeds over into other media such as email and forums it is a bit of an eye soar.

Have to admit, I sometimes use some of it. Well, moreso "l337". But that's mostly with friends on online discussion and such.

I tend not to make any big shortcuts when I'm typing on forums, blogs or such. Also, since I'm not a native English-speaker, I try to be more accurate than when I type in Finnish. believing it'll leave a lot better impression on others. :)

Im sure we've had this discussion before, but online I try to write as accurately as possible. Previously I have had all my phones on prepaid credit meaning to get it as last as long as possible I wanted to save space and wrote with as much 'text speak' as possible, since then Ive gotten a phone on a plan with lots of bonus credit and have no need to save space.

*adds extra letters for fixing gog's mistake* it is "yyuoo" ,well without that extra letters then...

Doing things like that is a quick way to get me irritated at least. I simply HATE chat/leet/textspeak.

lol podgie we're not dead yet ;)

though after thinking on it...yes dangerous, I know...

I can think of one place where I will 'text speak'. Mostly in-game. Text deaths happened frequently to me in S1 and in Sacred 2. So the quicker I can say something b4 some baddie sneaks up on me the better. I'm terribly uncoordinated under pressure :)

This very topic has been a large debate within our school sytems. I cannot say for the whole nation, but here in Oregon, it has become a rather large concern.

The "experts" predict, we as a state will have two generations who cannot spell properly due to spelltext, shorthand, whatever people are calling it these days. Matters not, still causes an underlying concern.

This however is only one side of the debate. On the other side of the spectrum, we have the same two generations who "they say, the experts" cannot function properly within a society. Due to the fact, they spend so much time texting and sitting infront of a computer monitor. They will lack the basic functions of eye to eye communcation skills.

I personally do not know enough about the University studies to have a solid opinion either way. I can say however, personally I see no problem with shorthand. So long as, "we as a people" have a solid foundation. Meaning, if you can spell correctly when called upon to do so, have all the fun you want behind your Droid.

I remain, :sigh:

Droid Rules!

Honestly, I dont have a clue!

If it wasnt for work, I wouldnt even be texting every so often. My wife is 31, and still has not sent a text in her entire life.

We are very old school. No doubt about this fact. Both where raised by our parents/grandparents. Completely different generations as we all know.

I have to ask the question. Are we as a people loosing anything, as technology progresses? Again, I have no opinion either way. Just simply asking what is already being debated amongst our peirs.

We had a writing reform in germany in 1996 to simplify writing. The 2004 corrections to the reform hit my daughter when she just learned the reform way of writing and teachers told us parents that we shouldn't correct homeworks of our kids because we parents learned the old writing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_spelling_reform_of_1996

So Delphin is Delfin, Stengel is Stängel, ...

I was so proud of my error free writing at school, and now I write like an idiot because it is hard to stay the old way if your kids write the new. So I now do a mix of old and new which is liked by nobody :sigh:

I cant speak for countries other than Australia, but for example here it is compulsory to complete studies of english all the way through high school (scholling until the age of 18) where obviously correct writing skill's are emphasised. I think that most people are perfecftly capable of writing/spelling correctly when necessary because of this solid grounding in such skills, and while simply preferring to use slang or text vernacular (because its easier?) when communicating informally with peers, in a formal situation (dealing with a teacher, lecturer, boss or so on) we (Im 19, I guess I can speak for some part of this so called issue generation) will use communicate 'correctly.'

We are very old school. No doubt about this fact. Both where raised by our parents/grandparents. Completely different generations as we all know.

I have to ask the question. Are we as a people loosing anything, as technology progresses? Again, I have no opinion either way. Just simply asking what is already being debated amongst our peirs.

I think we are losing an awful lot as a society. If I may quote from a post that I made on another forum just this week;

I feel qualified to comment on this thread by virtue of the fact that I have been a roleplaying gamer for over 30 years, and for a good few of those I have been gamesmaster and a moderator. When I started down the road of this addiction (and RP can be an addiction), there was NO computer roleplaying. We all got together in one room over a weekend armed with Pencil, Paper and Imagination and we roleplayed our games in our little group. Mostly fantasy or horror games such as Dungeons & Dragons, or Call of Cuthullu as Sci Fi roleplaying games were very rare, hard to get and tended to be difficult to play due to their complexity.

We had the same sorts of complaints and arguments you are talking about in your post, but we were more mature about things and more inclined to work together to solve the problems than modern online players seem willing to be. In fact, I would say that as computer games have evolved technically and matured in to serious, immersive games, players in general seem to have devolved and seem more inclined to act in an immature way (that doesn't mean ALL players and I am not just talking about this game or even just this forum).

There has been a lot said about how society has become more selfish and put "my rights" first and foremost, well it is true. When I was growing up we all learned to get along and work together as a community, as my daughter was growing up it start to change and more and more people wanted their personal 'space' and personal freedom. Now that my grandchildren are growing up they face a world where 'my personal rights' are more important than 'your personal rights' and instead of learning to compromise and get along with each other, they are learning that if they want it, they have to take it and then fight to keep it! They also have to face a 'fractured' society where human interaction is becoming less and less common as we do more and more over the internet and by phone. I have even seen people ring their friend on a mobile to talk even though the friend is 50 metres away, rather than walk over the road to talk face-to-face.

What I have seen happen in society is exactly what is happening on this forum and countless others. " I want it and I want it now!", "My opinion is more important than your opinion", "I have rights and they come first", "I want X given to me and I shouldn't have to earn it", "anyone who disagrees with what I want/believe is a disrespecting me and denying me my RIGHTS!" and most common of all, "I want and I will not compromise, other peoples thoughts/wants/rights can go to hell, because I come FIRST!"

When I started gaming, moderators were not needed at all as we worked together.

When my daughter started gaming, moderators actually moderated between people and helped them reach acceptable compromises.

Now my Grandchildren have started gaming, moderators no longer have the time to moderate, they spend all their time having to enforce rules that we never used to need, let alone enforce. Now they need a bloody big stick to beat people into submission and a roll of barbed wire to keep out those they have to ban!

God knows what moderators will need in my great-grandchildrens time! :)

That post was just relating to issues that that forum was experiencing, but how true it is of society in general. We are losing the ability to be a society and becoming a mass of individuals who are only out for ourselves and are becoming unable or unwilling to make compromises to get along with others (a bit of a generalisation, but generally true).

Podgie

drives me up the wall.

Spiderman, Spiderman.

He can do anything Podgie can !

:sigh:

It used to bug me, all the 'street talk', but I just give up.

I think to be fair, language will always evolve and change as does society.

Just think of all the new words that Shakespear invented.

I don't think you can really say that 'this' is wrong, and 'that' is right.

Folk will always have an opinion, o/c, but life goes on my friends.

Steve. :)

No Podgie mate. I never said that anyone had to change. I only meant that what ever you may think or even want, the kids will do what THEY want. The more you fight it, the more they'll do it. It's called being a teenager.

There's a million and one things that I hate, but I've learnt to just bite my tongue. The number of times I've spoken out, and landed myself in it. I posted on S.I.F. a while back about some guy stood right next to my car in the car park and smoking. I asked him politely not to smoke next to my car, and he went beserk !

One thing that used to(well, still does) drive me nuts, all the British kids who act and talk like they are in some U.S. rap video ! I hate that, and tbh, they really do look/sound stupid..................there, I said it !

But, as I said before, I just give up. I'll live my life and let them get on with it.

So, PLEASE DON'T CHANGE Mr Podgie sir, just be your very nice self.

Steve.

Mr Nice, cuddly Podgie :viking:

Don't worry Steve, old grouchy bears like me NEVER change, have a cider on me. :)

Well, I have HAD to change a few things, whether I want to or not.

Cider is one of them. I haven't been able to drink cider for some time ( very high sugar content), and shouldn't drink alcohol at all.

Alcohol and diabetes are not good bedfellows. I stupidly have made myself very ill on a few occations, over the last four and a bit years.

So, sometimes change does occur, even in us oldies. ( 42 going on 92, lol ! )

• 3 weeks later...

Eye thk txt sp3ech iz vry c00l.

M4k3s me look lk a H4ck3r for sure.

No seriously. Don't do that to yourself or others unless you are very short of time.

If someone holds a loaded gun to your head and says that you have 90 seconds to write the complete works of Shakespeare to everyone on your cell phone, THEN you can do that.

Otherwise, please don't. It looks childish and ridiculous.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

g2g

Please, if I start to speak 'manisch' not even germans would understand me. English forums are a way for me to learn a bit english, so it would be nice if correct writing would be used and not too much slang expressions.

Special languages are as old as mankind I think. Rotwelsch or Gaunersprache (from the german Gauner "criminal" and Sprache "language") is a secret language, a cant or thieves' argot, spoken by covert groups primarily in southern Germany and Switzerland. I crew up around Wetzlar, lived 2 years on the Gummiinsel (rubber island, from the rubber factory mid in river) which is a part of the town Giessen. People on the Gummiinsel spoke nearly exclusivly manisch which is a variant of rotwelsch. So we, my sisters and my brother, used it as a secret language when the work of my dad made us moving around germany. I am no longer able to speak it fluently, lack of training, but I can still follow conversations.

Edited by chattius