Dear God I wish Amalaur had MP

Well that's a fair comment as the original Sacred is a classic. Although, it was the mp side that really made it. I had so many happy hours playing closed hc and made so many friends there. Happy days.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this game is finally out. Anyone pick it up yet? Opinions?

Oh my gosh! This is a great game.

Single player rpg though.

It's Fable meets Dragon Age meets Darksiders meets Mass Effect meets Skyrim.

I was hesitant at first after playing the demo due to the inability to save when you like. But that is a restriction only in the demo.

You can save absolutely whenever you like (always a sign of a good game I think, because specific save points artificially make a game bigger than it really is).

The quest system is great as you will not get lost due to excellent quest markers. There is a quick travel system too.

It has alchemy, blacksmithing, crafting and all that jazz.

It has skill trees and destiny types that allows you to make a really unique build.

And if you don't like the way your toon is progressing there is skill respec!

And it has tons of loot!

The game was originally designed for console but the pc port has nailed the controls perfectly.

There is voice acting for everyone except your toon. The voice acting is quite acceptable, but not in the league of DragonAge.

The combat is really well done as the auto lock on enemies works incredibly well. Combat is actually fun which really makes a game like this shine. Totally unlike the Elder Scrolls series whose combat I never liked much.

It plays like a dream on my 4yr old pc with 50-60 fps at full graphics. :thumbsup:

I was hesitant at first after playing the demo due to the inability to save when you like. But that is a restriction only in the demo.

You can save absolutely whenever you like (always a sign of a good game I think, because specific save points artificially make a game bigger than it really is).

The quest system is great as you will not get lost due to excellent quest markers. There is a quick travel system too.

It has skill trees and destiny types that allows you to make a really unique build.

And it has tons of loot!

The game was originally designed for console but the pc port has nailed the controls perfectly.

There is voice acting for everyone except your toon. The voice acting is quite acceptable, but not in the league of DragonAge.

The combat is really well done as the auto lock on enemies works incredibly well. Combat is actually fun which really makes a game like this shine. Totally unlike the Elder Scrolls series whose combat I never liked much.

It plays like a dream on my 4yr old pc with 50-60 fps at full graphics. :thumbsup:

Good review

is this game a download?

:)

gogo-

And it has tons of loot!

Good review

is this game a download?

:)

gogo-

Got my copy delivered today. One word :- brilliant !

@ Gogo. Pretty sure it is on d/l from Steam and also Origin. Being an old git, I'm happy to get hard copy.

I'm just taking a breather from the game whilst grabbing some grub.

Bye for now,

Steve. :bye:

Edited by cider_steve

@ Gogo. Pretty sure it is on d/l from Steam and also Origin. Being an old git, I'm happy to get hard copy.

Hard Copy?

is that still allowed?

My paper bills have all been discontinued, they say too many trees killed

:blink:

gogo

It is available for digital download and if you want it really cheap I suggest you try Play-SC

Currently it is $34 AUD.....which is practically giving it away for such a great game. :cool:

edit:

you will need to download it via the Origin utility but I have had no problem using that in the past.

Edited by stubbie

Hard Copy?

is that still allowed?

My paper bills have all been discontinued, they say too many trees killed

:blink:

gogo

I don't think any trees were used in the production of my dvd, but then again, I was not in the factory at the time.............

It is available for digital download and if you want it really cheap I suggest you try Play-SC

Currently it is $34 AUD.....which is practically giving it away for such a great game. :cool:

edit:

you will need to download it via the Origin utility but I have had no problem using that in the past.

Origin are a 1000X better than Steam, IMHO. Much easier to use and much, much less intrusive.

This game is the best I have played for years.

Steve: Kinda itty bitty concerned about some things in Origin, though I'll have to use it to play ME3... There's this certain information collecting, data mining, whaterver. I'm not too comfy with some darned program snooping around my HD... Steam doesn't do such a thing in any occasion. Still, there are ways to counter that, but still.

Well, finally smashed through the demo, and I liked what I saw a lot. Seems like a must to buy. Dunno when I'll have the dough, though, so much expenses flying around..

edit:

Hey, just wondering how long it took for you to receive your cd key to enter into origin and download? I purchased it a couple of hours ago and haven't received it yet and wasn't sure of the turnaround time or if its simply due to the payment having not cleared through my bank account yet...

Edit: All good, download running now :)

Edit: All good, download running now :)

I hope you get as much fun from the game as I am Dragon. :)

Just be aware that the main storyline is pretty ordinary and npc's can be pretty dull and your main character is a fairly generic type hero character.

If you can accept that then you will find that the rest of the game is quite cool. :cool:

HAve fun, Dragon. ^^

I'm using much of my energy to resist the urge to and purchase it from either Play, Steam or Origins, after playing the demo. :P

Can't really take other full prices game at the moment...

Im having fun, only level 5 (leveling seems slow to me) and Im still in the first town and surrounds, running around doing all the quests I can find at the moment...I just became a member of the fae court! I don't know much of the main quest yet, but all the side quests seem more involved and related and useful than compared to Sacred where they all kind of repeat the same old formula again and again.

Im having fun, only level 5 (leveling seems slow to me)

Make sure you use your reckoning power when your fate meter is full.

You can double the experience earned if you do. Especially good if used for a mini boss.

Levelling is definitely slow when compared to a game like Sacred 2 though.

For example I have been playing for 26 hours and I am only level 12.

But I havent found that to be determental to my enjoyment.

It just makes each level up much more gratifying for me. :)

phew another great game... I really want this badly, but I'd have to wait for some funds to fall from the sky... my car's transmission cost me a bit of dough and it's my daughter's birthday this month... but will I fit this in before GW2 launch? In between finishing Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2:) :oooo:

But I remember the days when all one could do between waiting for the next Kings Quest/Space Quest/Police Quest, was play California Games!!

in today's language the term "8 inch floppy" just sounds absolutely rude, but it used to mean something for XT users (arj, pkzip anyone?)

8-inch_floppy_disk.jpg

I finally picked up KOA on Sunday. It seemed to start a little slow for me, but it has improved a lot. I am already 30+ hours in (I just had the last 4 days off). I have already done 40 or 50 quests, just having a great time at this point. Very happy that I decided to pick this one up!

• 3 weeks later...

The game will already get a somewhat big DLC on March 20th.

More info HERE

I was kinda suprised by the fact that this DLC adds 15% more land to explore.

Max

• 3 weeks later...

No spoilers follow: :)

Well I finally got to the end of the campaign and beat the final boss.

There seems to be a bug in the final battle that petains only to the pc version. The camera gets locked when the final boss is at about 25% health. You can still control your character but when you deliver the final blow the boss regains it's 25% health and the whole thing repeats.

Some people reported success by not using the mouse during this time and frantically hitting the F key when the bosses health reaches zero but it didn't work for me.

Luckily I have a XBox/pc controller. I plugged that in and the camera bug disappeared and I was able to finally kill the boss.

I post this only as a help to others if needed.

As a side note about the game...

I was doing all the side quests and had racked up about 80 hours and I was only about half way through the game. Even though I was loving all the side quests I decided I wanted to finish the main campaign quicker. So I pretty much rushed through the remainder of the game to get to the end.

Now that the main campaign is over the game still lets you carry on and play all the side quests you didn't do. So now with 100 hours racked up I still reckon I have another 40+ hours of great gaming left.

And with the dlc being released on 20th March with another 15% addition to the already enormous game area, I certainly got my moneys worth with this baby. :thumbsup:

No spoilers follow: :)

Well I finally got to the end of the campaign and beat the final boss.

There seems to be a bug in the final battle that petains only to the pc version. The camera gets locked when the final boss is at about 25% health. You can still control your character but when you deliver the final blow the boss regains it's 25% health and the whole thing repeats.

Some people reported success by not using the mouse during this time and frantically hitting the F key when the bosses health reaches zero but it didn't work for me.

Luckily I have a XBox/pc controller. I plugged that in and the camera bug disappeared and I was able to finally kill the boss.

I post this only as a help to others if needed.

As a side note about the game...

I was doing all the side quests and had racked up about 80 hours and I was only about half way through the game. Even though I was loving all the side quests I decided I wanted to finish the main campaign quicker. So I pretty much rushed through the remainder of the game to get to the end.

Now that the main campaign is over the game still lets you carry on and play all the side quests you didn't do. So now with 100 hours racked up I still reckon I have another 40+ hours of great gaming left.

And with the dlc being released on 20th March with another 15% addition to the already enormous game area, I certainly got my moneys worth with this baby. :thumbsup:

You are spot on Steve. The more I play the bigger the game seems to get ! I've played for around 80 hours and completed close to 120 quests and I have still got so much left to get to.

I'm playing pure mage, and as soon as I finish, I'm going to give a fighter a go, as I've found some top gear for physical warfare.

Hmmm, bit worried about what you've said about the finale. Surely they'll come up with a patch for that ?

Steve.

Hmmm, bit worried about what you've said about the finale. Surely they'll come up with a patch for that ?

There is no official response from the devs about this problem that I can find.

Someone else has said that when you do get to this stage in the battle try to get your character as near as possible to the central chin area of the boss (trying hard not to spoil anything here) and then quickly hit the F key when the F icon in the game lights up.

So apparently it seems to be a bug that can be overcome with some experimenting and persevering.

Just make sure you manually save just before the final battle. ;)

Oh and I have played as a pure rogue through this time. She has been great fun. I like that I can play her strategically by laying traps around and in front of me, then using my bow to draw the enemies in to get damaged by my traps and then finishing them off with dagger attacks. While in the first half of the game I was pretty much just rushing in and stab stabbing everyone, the later part of the game brings up some pretty nasty enemies that my little daggers alone were having difficulty with, and I'm only on normal difficulty.

Next I think I will try playing as a battle mage on hard difficulty..

Edited by stubbie

When I originally saw the spoilers, etc... I thought "skip it" (hate that camera angle)... but then I found out it's a Todd McFarlane IP, that that kindof piqued my interest. (Fan of his work, mostly because I collected his comics when he worked for Marvel... and Spawn, ofc)

Glad to see it is a decent game and that peeps are having a good time with it!