The Related Word Game - 2017!

Gulliver's Travels -> satire

could not stop re-reading incessantly the list of items they pulled out of Gulliver's pockets when he was captured  

strange, unbeheld items  all captivating to a young reader

list fascination here

:lol:

gogo

gold -> saxophonist

In Spandau Ballet's video 'Gold' I remember mainly the saxophonist because he is wearing red and playing a solo in the mid of the song. The song ends with him playing solo hand drums.

motes -> fungus gnat

I hate when I paint the house just to find a collection of motes and gnats on the fresh paint. Finding out which insects and 'dust' needs more experts than CSI and Bones have together.

We had some biology students in a camp in our forest and one girl was researching the insects on the paint of the storage for the diesel power unit: mainly fungus gnats.

• Haha 1

control => chaos

1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

I have read about fire ants, is this really issue south us?

:)

gogo

^ Yes Rommel, those ornery little fire ant boogers sting like the dickens!  They usually wait until they are all over your leg and sting like the devil in unison. :evil: Some unfortunate folks are so allergic they can go into anaphylaxis and need to be expedited to the hospital. An injection of epinephrine usually does the trick to save their lives. When in Texas, you watch where you're steppin' outside.

:hooyaah:

• zomgod! 1
16 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Yes Rommel, those ornery little fire ant boogers sting like the dickens!  They usually wait until they are all over your leg and sting like the devil in unison. :evil: Some unfortunate folks are so allergic they can go into anaphylaxis and need to be expedited to the hospital. An injection of epinephrine usually does the trick to save their lives. When in Texas, you watch where you're steppin' outside.

:hooyaah:

Chaos/Kali -> Eichenprozessionsspinner (oak processionary)

What I fear most at our place are oak processionaries. When there are too many you can't even enter a forest without full body protection and air filtering. Even when they left their caterpillar stage - the bristles of the worn off caterpillar hides are still dangerous. the fine hairs cover everything and any movements makes them airborn. I had them luckily only once on a single tree and I made a ring of sheep wool around the trunk where they got trapped and then burned. Another possibility is a crane attachment for the Unimog with a big movable vaccuum cleaner. I saw them in action 50 kilometres away 6 years back, just in case.

hinweisschild-eichenprozessionsspinner-m

On 2/7/2022 at 3:36 AM, chattius said:

Texas Brown Recluse -> diving bell spider

It has the most painful bite of all spiders in my area. Luckily it lives underwater and is the only spider doing so.

lovely video, I actually have seen this spider in action... nature seems to have invented our our own human good stuff before we did 

sounds a little nasty about that bite!

diving bell spidern-> trap door spider

:)

gogo

trap door spider -> Ringelfüssige Röhrenspinne

We don't have trap door spiders in central Europe. Closest would be the above, translated as: 'striped-legged tunnel spider'. They dig a pipe/tunnel and have the net just above the ground to catch running insects. The spider mother is eaten by its own breed to give them a kickstart.

The english nick name seems to be 'ladybird spider'.