300...the Movie

Katran

Guest gogoblender

I was JUST about to run out and see this movie but all my cousins MADE me promise to see it with them next weekend.

nooooooooooooooo

But...I wanna know aobut this movie...I've heard now so much about it from all my friends here in montreal and even hk has seen it but he hasn't posted yet on whether it's good or not...

Anyone got the skinny?

:devil:

gogo

I saw it on opening night (Friday). It was a bit of a mix. It is not meant to be historically accurate, instead being an attempt to mythify events as the Greeks of the time would have portrayed them. So I will not go into the numerous historical issues -- although it is weird that it made some things very accurate, historically, and other completely the reverse. However, I will mention that it continues the trend of imposing modern values and morals on a 2500-year-old society, which always bugs me. :devil:

The portions concerning the Queen, and goings on back in Sparta, were pretty much a big waste of time and felt more like filler than anything else. It reminded me in a way of the Arwen subplot in LotR, although I am not sure what purpose the Queen's sequences served. I doubt it likely that such an unconvincing performance is likely to cause the female population to rush out to see 300.

The battle sequences were generally excellent, high-testosterone kill-fests. A fair amount of slo-mo hit and gore, although most of it was not that startling. It is funny that an hour of bloody hacking is not as effective and shocking as when Boromir gets shot by the Orc at the end of the Fellowship of the Ring, which goes to show what an effective filmmaker can do. All of the Spartans were ripped . . . it is like an ab-fest, and apparently shaving your checst was started by the ancient greeks! :P

As I mentioned, they had this strange compulsion to impose modern values and it tended to be those portions of the movie that seemed the most out of place. How can you spend 30 minutes impressing on the audience how tough the Spartans were and how they lived for battle and yearned for a glorious death, and then when one dies have another Spartan grief-ridden? How can a society that tosses non-perfect babies off a cliff rear a King who would consider for a second allowing a cripple to fight with them?

The graphics were pretty cool, although it felt more like a video-game than a movie. It was always very dark and there was a lot of heavy rock music, especially during the battle sequences.

Overall I thought it a decent movie, but then again, it is not really my genre, so those into Sin City and the like are more likely to really enjoy it.

I just watched it and I loved it. What I like the most is the way the story is told. I got the fealing like I was told a story around the fire in an ancient city. That is something that you dont find often in the movies. The movie didnt waste anytime with pointless stuff it went right to the action and the action was just what war was in that time blood every were screaming and all the bad stuff. I wont say more about since I know Gogo wants to see it and maybe after he does and some others we can talk about it more. :)

I found it to be overrated, just like all other movies of its genre (Gladiator, Troy, Alexander, etc).

Overall it was decent but I guess that not watching it wouldn't have been a loss.

Guest gogoblender

Well, I haven't seen the movie yet. Heh, this forum was so busy this weekend that it trashed my time BUT...lol, I'm hoping to make some time during this next week to catch this big Frank Miller Thingy.

I really don't know a lot of history sooooo...lol, I guess I'm goin in tabula rasae.

yee haw!

:blink:

gogo

I just watched the movie the other day and I found it quite entertaining although some scene doesn't seem to have a right place in the movie (e.g. the bed scene) other than for effect. Btw for those who have watched it already I didn't hear quite well the last part when the captain said how many Spartans are going to attack together with "free greeks" Did he say 10,000 and that they were still outnumbered more than 3 to 1 together with the free greeks.

10.000 spartans and 30.000 free greeks. :blink:

Dose that have read the graphic novel 300 and loved it will live the movie. I think this movies will be the next step in movies. If the right man makes them and knows how to use what he has. When you watch it is like reading a book. No normal type of movie can come close to that.

10.000 spartans and 30.000 free greeks. :blink:

Dose that have read the graphic novel 300 and loved it will live the movie. I think this movies will be the next step in movies. If the right man makes them and knows how to use what he has. When you watch it is like reading a book. No normal type of movie can come close to that.

It would have been exciting to watch another movie wherein the whole Spartan army would fight the remaining Persian army. I wonder who would win?

Very entertaining ONCE, very nice images...

Awful scenarists... How many times can you say SPARTANS! in a movie?

Enemy King which has control over the largest army in the world is portrayed has a clown with no tactical skills whatsoever.

He conquered almost all of the know-world but still can't manage to send scouts to scout... noooo, the scouts kill farmers but they don't scout for a better terrain. Anyway, change the scenario, keep the soundtrack and the images :-D Then we'd have a great movie.

That's why it's entertaining, but only once... no need to watch this one twice and that makes it an average movie.

Guest gogoblender
That's why it's entertaining, but only once... no need to watch this one twice and that makes it an average movie.

lol

I like the way you put that blue. Gonna remember that fer my next movie review

:drunkards:

gogo

Enemy King which has control over the largest army in the world is portrayed has a clown with no tactical skills whatsoever.

He conquered almost all of the know-world but still can't manage to send scouts to scout... noooo, the scouts kill farmers but they don't scout for a better terrain.

They cant change that part. that is history the battle was there at that place and if you look at the area you will see that that is the only place that they can pass.

An army the size he had cant go were it wants it has to go were it can pass and were it can get water.

Were does it say that a king has to have tactical skills?

Till then he only faced slave armies like his own were superior numbers coverd any lack of tactics.

And keep in mind that it is a movie made after the graphic novel. The history corect to the letter movie will come out next year. :drunkards:

And keep in mind that it is a movie made after the graphic novel. The history corect to the letter movie will come out next year. :dance:

You mean one movie wasn't enough? o_O

Also I don't trust any hollywood movie to be 100% historical correct. Only historical correct films are documentaries imo. Hollywood just twists history for profit not for educating people.

300 was made in Sydney, created by the same people as Happy Feet (The penguin movie) We are getting good at making animated films here...sadly - its not yet open here in Australia - its so frustrating when they do that..grrrr

Ah I went to see this not long after opening night, it was awesome! The spartans were MONSTERS, completely ripped, and killed a whole lot of other people, which is all I was looking for. The graphic novel was based on an old film called "The 300 spartans" or something, not historical fact, so there's no point in looking for a history lesson in this movie... just enjoy the ass kicking

I don't like it at all. There isn't really a real plot, just lots of senseless fighting.

And its quite homophobic. Not only inside the movie, but in realtime interviews as well. Just a bunch of self righteous people, big turn off.

Its way too overated. Stick to the graphic novel.

• 2 weeks later...

Soemone say 300? :woot:

edit: ahhh, I have to apologize for intruding on your post but our Terms of Service (TOS) with our provider don't allow us to link to information like this as it could result in them terminating our board :twitch: and this also goes against our forum rules

Sorry!

:devil:

• 1 month later...

I saw the movie a few weeks ago, and it's somewhat accurate to history. A number of things are changed and sensationalized, but I honestly felt the movie was well worth seeing. Historical battles that are remembered usually have some element of tactical education in them. For this movie, the lesson is to take advantage of your natural defenses as much as possible.

I think it was worth seeing, but it wasn't that good of a movie, or not what I expected :mad:( Even though the battles were glorious, and the oracless was amazingly well done (according to my vision of what a beautiful and cursed girl should look like).