Key Largo Bar

Guest gogoblender

I'm late for the party Chattius, but, I'll eagerly reach out for a few delicious morsels of that homemade goodness!

And, just got back from weekend shopping, sitting back and sippin some coffee....

41uCv2-8UuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.dirtdevil.com/products/details.aspx?id=M084610RED

Just bought that.

Anyone know if cheapie vacs like this last? Most of our place is wood floors, so it's mostly sweeping and mopping. But a small part is an entry way carpet. This machine was on sale for fifty bux (yay Canadian Tire). I'm just wondering if it's at all worth the money , or just to get a small hand vac

Or...I can wait till I win the lotto, sit back and get a butler!

:D

gogo

I noticed that you don't need a dictionary if you just allow the mother of our au pair girl to watch while preparing the food. The only problem is to to speak about lunch while not cooking :lol:

I think hand vacs (the ones on a pole/stick) are only useful if you have a lot of carpets. Else a small and light one on wheels which you can carry in one hand (if needed) is more useful in my experience. It is able to reach all the places you can't reach with a hand vac becauce of its flexible hose, car for example. Our old patchwork house has wooden floor too. We have 2 vacs, the said small one on rolls and my favourtite: a heavy duty beast. It can pump or suck water, clean toilets, can be attached to an electric drill, belt sanders and other machines, clean rain gutters, leaves in garage in autumn, ....

The only disadvantage: it is very heavy 70 pounds. And my daughters use to say that they are weak girls not able to carry it :D

My company had to buy new vacuum cleaners 2 years back because of changed savety laws/requirements: able to suck up explosives and this.

So we got the old cleaner of the older savety class very cheap, 100 euro. My daughter starts to do parties and even noone in my family is a smoker, cleaning ash trays after a party is possible with the beast too. Excellent filters and possible still glowing ash is not a problem. She only has to learn to clean up on her own after a party...

1667202_popup.jpg

Anyone knowing of a good dictionary for translating food and drink names?

Our au-pair girl has her birthday today. Her parents will be in germany for a week to visit her. I promised her that I will do one of our feared hessian kitchen recipes.

Bärlauchschupfnudeln mit Kochkäseschnitzel

What is this in english?

speis1.jpg

Kochkäse is a mixture of natron, Handkäse (local sour cream cheese) and

Quark. Which is cooked (Kochen) and made creamy by adding natron.

The hot Schnitzel will be covered with the creamy and very aromatic Kochkäse. The heat will make it nearly liquid and it builds a layer on the Schitzel.

Bärlauch is bear-garlic/ramsons. Schupfnudel are a bit like Gnocci, but in our area are made of cooked potatoes, egg, spices and milled buckwheat. I add fine cut beargarlic to the noodle recipe. So following our ultralong german words rule: Bärlauchschupfnudeln. It are thick fingerlike noodles which are first boiled and then roasted in a pan with some butter.

I add a lot of bear garlic. In difference to the above picture our Noodles are green.

Hmm.. Sounds interesting.. Sorry I got to this thread a wee bit late. I don't think there's a really good translation for the name. Yahoo's Babelfish couldn't really make heads nor tails of the first word. The 2nd word translated to "cooked cheese shred" - which doesn't really describe what's on the plate in the pic above. Working backwards from your description, "Bear Garlic Noodles" translates to "Bärenknoblauchnudeln". Schupfnudel doesn't seem to have an english word - at least according to Babelfish.

How does Bear garlic compare to the more traditional garlic flavor-wise?

Bear garlic

Quote from the link below:

Sensory quality: Similar to garlic, but less strong and with a hint of chives.

Bear garlic is very hard/impossible(?) to cultivate it, so it was mainly used by forest people. Bears garlic is among the plants with the highest amount of sulfur. But the molecules containing the sulfur are cracked quickly by overheating. It is rumoured that it is among the most healthy plants, because the sulforic stuff fights cholesterine. The sulforic stuff is easily destroyed by heat, so you have to use it carefully. You use mainly fine cut leaves in salade, on bread, ...

Read more here, page from a university, so no advertisement from a pill making company :D

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Alli_urs.html

Käseschnitzel - Cheese Schnitzel

There are two variants:

Überbacken (over baken?) where you put the cheese on before you do it in the oven.

And our local variant were we use Kochkäse (very creamy cheese) and put it on the hot schnitzel so it runs all over it.

Schupfnudeln

How to make Schupfnudeln (in english)

How does Bear garlic compare to the more traditional garlic flavor-wise?

It growls :D

LOL!

:lol:

gogo

p.s. The take on garlic is interesting... I have only ever seen one type of garlic here in Montreal, and they always seem to come in net baskets. Elephant foot garlic maybe... or something like that

Bear garlic is named Bärlauch in germany, so more bear leek. I used to collect it in the forest, but recently the fox bandworm reached our area and it is too riscy. The only way to kill the bandworm eggs is to heat and heat destroys the sulfur molecules which give the taste.

So I cultivated it by digging away a square metre of wild ones carefully and placed it to a corner of our garden where it had nearly the same conditions. Then I didn't touch it for 3 years and then cut a few leaves from each plant and took the little onions only from plant leaving the area where I planted them. So I have a colony of bear garlic which refreshes itself for years.

Bear garlic seems to be another plant which was poor peoples food and now pops up at michelin star restaurants. Lot of new recipes recently but I stick to variants I was used to as a kid.

This site claims that you can use ramps (now that is a plant I do not know) instead bear garlic to some degree if you live in america:

http://germanfood.about.com/od/germanfoodg...s_baerlauch.htm

If you want to go for a fitting beer:

schorsch-logo.gif

schorsch-eisbock-43-prozent-h300.png

You can buy a bottle for around 100 euro. It is brewed following the prae-european-community old german brewing law. The oldest then still existing 500 year old german law allowed only 4 components into a beer. It has 43% alcohol. This is reached by deep freezing it and then the ice, which is nearly only water removed. So no components like sugar added to reach higher alcohol levels.

I wouldn't drink a whole bottle, but rather do it like a Korn/Schnaps, one shot after lunch. Tried it at a friend (old classmate) who runs a small restaurant in germanies black forest. Normal 'Eisbock' (Ice beer) is about 12% alcohol and way cheaper.

For normal home use: What we often drink with our kids is a malt drink. German beer law doesn't allow it to be named beer. It is sort of a beer, but the yeast is added at freezing point 0 Celcius, so no fermentation started, no alcohol produced. It contains sugar (maltrose) from the malt and different Vitamins B from the yeast, which adds minerals and amino acids too. Often drunk when doing sports, cheaper and as good (better? because being natural) as isotonic drinks. 24 half litre bottles are at 7 Euro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malta_(soft_drink)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WARNING --- The following post contains Sauerkraut

If you don't like the idea of Donuts filled with Sauerkraut, Stop reading! You are warned!

You were warned or?

Doughnut, Berliner or how we call them at our place: Kräppel. We use to do the dough with quark (type of fresh cheese), and they don't have a hole. They look like balls and the ones we eat the day they are made are filled with a mix of quark and raisins.

Our second is no longer needing her chairwheel. When I am back home from conferences this weekend I will do her most favourite food: It will look somehow like this:

63060-bigfix-sauerkraut-krapfen.jpg

Dough normally used for Kräppel/Donuts layed with Sauerkraut, onions (I do red ones, look prettier in contrast to white Sauerkraut), spices and Rückenspeck (bacon from the rear and not the belly, nearly all white fat). The bacon is heated so the lard runs out. What is left we call Grieben and is tasty and crispy and added to salades or in this case to the Sauerkraut and onions.

Make a long roll and cut it in pieces. Bake it in the oven in something you use for lasagne. Do some nice salade and dressing.

The rest of the dough is used to make hundreds of Kräppel . They are not filled and last for weeks because they are fried in lard (from above) which builds a protective layer, so they stay fresh inside this layer.

Edited by chattius

So the dougnuts are filled with kraut, bacon bits and onions. As long as they're not glazed with sugar, that might not be bad at all.

What sort of spices are you talking about in this dish?

Salt, pepper, 2-3 juniper berries, 1 bay laurel leaf, cloves, Kümmel (caraway?), ...

We do different sorts of our own Sauerkraut. So it partly depends which spices are already in the Sauerkraut, in spring I do more fresh herbs, in winter more the above.

Since many of the lard is removed from the bacon it isn't containing this much fat as it sounds.

The recipe above is what I call a sunday morning job for the whole family. Releasing lot of lard, making lot of the dough, do the Sauerkraut -Kräppel for lunch, eat Kräppel filled with raisins the afternoon (weekend will have -10 celcius) at a warm oven, and have around 150 unfilled ones which will be covered with sugar as snacks to be eaten the next 2 weeks.

The Grieben we do not need for lunch are added to salade to have some crispy elements when chewing it, or mixed with lard to be smeared on bread, which is a good party snack.

It's a lot of work to do it, so I try to be creative which other food can be done with the remains.

Edited by chattius

My foodie passion lately has been watching and re-watching episodes of Top Chef Just desserts. I just can't seem to get enough of the series.

Popcorn in bacon fat...never had it, sounds good.

:(

gogo

p.s. MOrning folks!

Salt, pepper, 2-3 juniper berries, 1 bay laurel leaf, cloves, Kümmel (caraway?), ...

We do different sorts of our own Sauerkraut. So it partly depends which spices are already in the Sauerkraut, in spring I do more fresh herbs, in winter more the above.

Since many of the lard is removed from the bacon it isn't containing this much fat as it sounds.

The recipe above is what I call a sunday morning job for the whole family. Releasing lot of lard, making lot of the dough, do the Sauerkraut -Kräppel for lunch, eat Kräppel filled with raisins the afternoon (weekend will have -10 celcius) at a warm oven, and have around 150 unfilled ones which will be covered with sugar as snacks to be eaten the next 2 weeks.

The Grieben we do not need for lunch are added to salade to have some crispy elements when chewing it, or mixed with lard to be smeared on bread, which is a good party snack.

It's a lot of work to do it, so I try to be creative which other food can be done with the remains.

Yeah... That's definitely German spicing all right. Have you ever tried mixing just the bacon bits into the dough? Not a lot of them, mind you, just a sprinkling of them in the unfilled ones. That might actually taste pretty good - depending on how the bacon is cured and if it's smoked or not.

I'm gonna have to play with this concept later on.

Hmmm, I wrote how to make Grieben here:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=6886178

Hope you see from the picture in the above thread what type of bacon is used.

Ah yes.. The pure cholesterol variety... :(

I believe the name for the cut of bacon you're using has the English name of Fatback. Check the link... It looks similar.

My foodie passion lately has been watching and re-watching episodes of Top Chef Just desserts. I just can't seem to get enough of the series.

Popcorn in bacon fat...never had it, sounds good.

:)

gogo

p.s. MOrning folks!

Mornin' Gogo...

Popcorn in bacon fat..? Eh.. Maybe if the bacon was smoked.. Otherwise it sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen with any real reward.

I see the problem with healthy and not healthy food as: Old traditional food had developed in centuries, but

There was no time yet for bureau and computer food darwinism :)

You can eat this fatback stuff, as long it is not the only thing you eat every day. With Sauerkraut, onions and bitter herbs (to kick in digesting) it is a good mix. Too much thune fish is dangerous because of the heavy metals, too much collected mushrooms are still dangerous because rain unloaded some of the Tchernobyl cloud here, too much oxalic acid (rhubarbs...), ...

So it is allways too much, as long as you mix you are okay.

So Sauerkraut is tasty, has minerals, vitamins, Isothiocyanate(against cancer), bacteria in it helps in digesting, ....

So my personal opinion, as long as Sauerkraut is in I define it as healthy and it is okay if kids want to eat this fatback donuts. They are grewing so quick and do that much sport that they are more underweighted than overweighted.

My personal diet assistent:

radieschen_200.jpg

http://www.helium.com/items/1913597-health...its-of-radishes

I take several of this red ball radish with me when walking with the dog or working at the computer. Pure health bombs and their taste prevents me from drinking or eating anything sweat.

I need a nice hot drink, it's freezing here ! My poor toes !

I'm gonna walk into town, it'll be quicker than trying to de-ice the car.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Steve.

Heading into a nice warm summer, the Ashes (awesome cricket contest between Australia and England) has been on TV for the last few days, Australia is outperforming england, couldnt be better, well...if I hadnt just worked a 9hr shift anyway.

I need a nice hot drink, it's freezing here ! My poor toes !

I'm gonna walk into town, it'll be quicker than trying to de-ice the car.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Steve.

Heading into a nice warm summer, the Ashes (awesome cricket contest between Australia and England) has been on TV for the last few days, Australia is outperforming england, couldnt be better, well...if I hadnt just worked a 9hr shift anyway.

Bah, didn't take you long ! :)

We'll let you have the first test, as generous guests, then take the rest of the series. :sigh: