• Restart?
  2. 2. Progression type:

• By character lvl?
    • By server difficulty?
    • both?
  3. 3. Is the max lvl cap useful?

• Yes?
    • No?

I voted 140. As pr0m says, 10 levels is litrtle diffrence in plat. Last week we went all the way from just over 100 to 135 (yes, one toon was a wee bit over the 120 cap -- and I quote her verbatim). I don't think this was a problem for anyone. For the first time in a long time, last week we really saw diversity in levels.

I say cap at 140, but keep it in platinum so that's not a minimum too.

Or maybe I should go edit my vote to a self serving "restart".

Nah. See you all again at Kami 1, and ingame in the interim.

Yeah I voted restart too. Not for the sake of the level differnece in plat, but Becuase I was planning on making a new char, and I allways find excuses for myself to just play an existing one. A kamikazee would kinda "force" me to make a new one.

That selfish prOm :)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi :)

The idea of the Kamikaze Sundays is about community and playing together. So in short playing in the same server and conversating while playing. The experience from previous kami events clearly shows us that we need to split into smaller parties 4 or 3 or even 2 members each. This actually defeats any level cap idea - IMHO. No matter how high is the highest or no matter how low is the lowest they can play in a same server - sharing all the conversations and fun - as long as they are in the natural boundaries of the server.

So I think either in this kami or the next generation one should forget that level caps thing and concentrate on the ability to play on the same server - so for example Kami Bronze = that would be an event for chars between level 1 and level 60.

The only cap could be the next events server range. So if the next event will be still Kami Bronze then a level 61 couldnt get in. But if there would be a system like this:

Bronze - Silver - Gold - Gold - Plat - Plat - Plat - Niob (or Bronze - Silver - Gold - Gold - Gold - Plat - Plat - Plat - Niob) then even the slowest lvling ones could keep up the pace and play in the same server.

Ofc theese are just my 2 cents.

Cs.

Edited by Csaszar

I kinda agree with Csaszar on this one. I've been missing out on Kamikazes though because of work... so I don't think I'll even vote on it though, that way your results will be more relevant to the people that are actually playing the Kamikaze.

I have to agree on the lack of a level cap. We were flexible to add in Curtis as soon as he made level 100. In no surprise, he outleveled me by reaching 107 with my WE still at level 106. I think the whole idea is to have fun, but given that server instability is much likelier at > 4 players having multiple servers is the only approach that would work and minimize lag deaths.

I would agree the level caps are getting way out of hand. and it is getting harder and harder for people who want to play catch up. I know from personal experience you miss a week and you try to spend all week trying to catch up. which in turn leads to neglecting other toon plans that one might have had.

P.s. I vote to restart but thats just becasue I wanna join the fun too.

Edited by EvilMale

maybe instead of a level cap have a theme of the week, say this sunday everyone has to bring a wood elf.. or maybe just 2 toon types that work well together, a melee type and spell casting type (ie put a daemon with a bm, a glad with a seraphim, etc)

All sorts of good ideas! I've not budged my Wood Elf a single level, but have been playing around in Bronze/Silver with my Vampiress to see if she can reach level 50. I definitely would like to see more variety of characters in the upcoming Kamikaze event or on the restart. The biggest concern I can see is that level caps do present a chance to not have others run into monsters well over their ability to handle. However, given that most people who have been playing tend to communicate where they are going I don't see this as an issue. The servers do have a wide spread in terms of levels allowed, so I think it's more important that we get a good turnout with a lot of people and split into those 3-4 servers that will be needed each Sunday we meet up. The Olly sessions are pretty informal, so perhaps that should be the format going forward.

Excellent feedback here folks and it looks as though this polling system for the Kamikaze could work out very well to guide us in Kamikaze progression.

Alright then. Onto the level cap debate. The level cap does quite a few things interestingly enough and I think by far the most important point about it is that it is a Max level cap. So anyone under the cap is still free to join in. For those who might fall behind by way of death or by too low a level it's important to see that a max level would be no different than a server difficulty you can not enter because your character is too low in level. Some other reasons for the max level was

• to prevent those who can not communicate because of a language barrier from accidentally spawning high level monsters in an area where lower level players are playing.
  • to accommodate those players who don't have a lot of time to play and therefore level at a slower pace than those with a lot of time.
  • to promote parties.
  • to create a level playing field so to speak in that monster spawns can be managed equally by those in the same party.
  • to be a factor in how quickly or slowly each generation progresses.
  • to act as a guide on how much to level each week and know what level to expect others will be at come the next Kamikaze.

I think my biggest concern with basing Kamikaze progression on server difficulty alone is that as a generation would progress on this basis I foresee level differences becoming greater and greater among the participants to a point at which it would no longer be beneficial/fun for players to party together because of monster spawn lvls being too high for the lowest level players in a party. Also, that the slower paced players might be left behind. Should this happen I tend to believe the point of the Kamikaze might be lost... However, I can understand if the majority would prefer to not party and instead be playing solo on the server among participants. If this is the case then progressing the Kamikaze based on server difficulty would work fine I think. :drunkards:

I do recall that in the first generation that the max level system was working very well and that participants always seemed to be right on the mark of the defined max level cap. Even in this 2nd generation it seemed to be going very well up until level 80 I think it was. At that point the jumps in max level were a bit too high I'm thinking. Ultimately, in my heart, the reason I thought to try out this Kamikaze thing was because I thought it would be awesome to gather folks of all sorts to play together in a public environment to be as inclusive as possible and also to have as few limits as possible while maintaining the fun factor as high as possible which meant there would never be a character type requirement for example. Inclusivity and sharing were and are of the utmost importance here as well as special attention to new inexperienced players.

Well with that said I think the various posts here have given much food for thought. After this Kamikaze I'll create a poll to help us determine how the next generation will play out with questions based on the feedback here.

maybe instead of a level cap have a theme of the week, say this sunday everyone has to bring a wood elf.. or maybe just 2 toon types that work well together, a melee type and spell casting type (ie put a daemon with a bm, a glad with a seraphim, etc)

Oh that could be fun Genenut. I'll add that to the list. Or maybe this could be done in a different event. Hmmm, lots of ideas flying around. :)

This Sunday's Kamikaze we'll play on a platinum server and just leave it open to whoever has the level to join in which would be level 100-180. :woot:

Cheers gang and see you on the server! :P

maybe we could have several diff events all held at diff times so those who are say in aussie land like Funky could also participate?

Maybe a weekly newbies kami like event, only up to level 10 to enter or just level 1's to get leveled. like a kami nursery event. thursday or friday nights at 8pm EST might be a good time for this. This would work well for Sacred 2 when it comes out too to get people introduced to the game online. Maybe have the host bring extra $$ for newbie toons (not much but say an extra 5k per player to get started) for those who need the $$.

Maybe a themed event on saturday afternoons or mid morning (ie 10am or 4pm) for just toons of a certain type. This would help get people acquainted with certain toons instead of just sticking with thier comfort zone for kami's. Could maybe have one of the guide writers who KNOWS that toon type host to answer questions on what effects/does what with the toon. This could graduate to Sacred 2 also quite nicely as a great intro event for new players. Entry to the event costs 5 runes of that type or a set peice. once everyone enters, divy up the loot *g*

And then the traditional kami on sunday. But we could run two kami servers.. for example on this sunday have one in plat level 100-180 and A 2ND one concurrent running level 40-80 on silver (or 1/2 of the other servers levels) this way those who want to play and didnt make the level requirements for the original , might make the other one. so when one starts back at 1, the other one will be at say level 80 or 100. For those who died then the wait for a new kami cycle would only be 3 weeks instead of 6.

For those of us with dial up its hard to level past gold as we need a room open to be able to get in to level and plat and niob and to a certain extent gold are not very populated making it hard to make up lost levels during the week. Thanks to my new car this week I wont have broadband for a while.

Just a suggestion. I'll be there tommorrow with my level 118 bm ...

My plan is to bring in my Gladiator and see how he does. Quite honestly, I truly need to play him and see if he can survive. If he dies, it's no big loss and it would free up a very important slot. I know that I stated earlier that I plan to go thru a phased retirement but NOT before attempting characters that can obtain the special unresisted damages. So that would mean a Seraphim, Dark Elf, and Gladiator. I already have the special Ice Damage with the Blizzard WE set and my Vampiress is planning to go for the Dark Damage. I know Csaszar has a Dark Elf with Soul Damage, but I'd like to try it from my perspective and see how well it works out.

Hi :D

Schot:

And why would anyone be disturbed that a 80 level higher toon would play in the same server?

As far as I know there are no real "language barriers" among the kami folks to prevent telling where they play. And besides why should anyone get a level 180 into a plat event where average level is around 110 or 120? In only one case: he has a 170-180 toon but dont have a lower one or just a too low one. With level cap she/he is denied of the event.

Just my 2 cents:

I entered the kami with a level 100 toon and I saw I am the lowest. Your char was level 150 (or 151?). That 50 level difference is much bigger at this level than playing a level 130-140 while there are a 180 char at the server.

Ofc I wasnt affected by the level difference at all - because until I couldnt catch you up I didnt partied with you.

And at the end when the awesome kami toons teared down thoose demon region bosses I was in the one big party only a few lvls behind.

Of course as stated before the most important thing is having fun. And with that peeps and that bosses we had at the last kami we will have fun in the future with or without level caps :D

maybe we could have several diff events all held at diff times so those who are say in aussie land like Funky could also participate?

Thanks so much Gene for thinking of me, but please don't base events around me. I haven't even made Olly Olly (Sunday 10am) for the last couple of weeks, too nice not to have breakfast/brunch outside now. Also now that Spring is here and Summer coming, we tend to be more outdoors than sitting at home.

I am content with my couple of hours most nights as my wind down from hectic days.

Just keep posting those fantastic adventures so I can catch up with all the goss. :D

Funki :D

In my opinion, the early levels are CRITICAL so I don't mind level reqs for those. Granted, Kamikaze sessions tend to RIP players at any given level but I know that losing a toon early is not as painful as much later(especially at level 100+). I think we can keep the current format until Platinum. Past that point, and I think a diversity is better to encourage parties. Though even two member parties sometimes run into lag like Schot and I did when going thru the Dwarf ruins in UW.

I would not mind creating private servers if few are online. It would be an opportunity for informal sessions and perhaps more opportunity for Gold players to see much more activity. I tend to get online early before the 1st reset, but I'll poke in tomorrow to see who I can help out :D

Edited by DaveO

players.jpg
Well I must say that was certainly a fun Kamikaze this past Sunday. For those who missed it this time around we hope you'll be able to join in the next. :) Although we started out small as you can see to the right, (these are thumbnails you can click to get a larger image), it was a surprise to see that the siaze of our Kamikaze shifted several times in size as people came and went. It was the kind of day where different parts of the neighborhood was coming out to play at different times. pretty cool to see. Sometimes it was a quiet walk and chop and others it was an all out rampage! I loved both aspects equally I have no problem admitting. :)

It was an adventurous sort of event this time around. We did all sorts of stuff it seemed which made for a very happy well rounded bunch of blood thirsty animals. That is to say... Us! haha. It was quite a mix in levels as you can see from the first pic but we actually managed fair enough. Those you see in the pic above decided, after some debate, to party all together and head out into the desert together. As an added safety precaution the 3 highest of us in level stood watch over the 3 lowest in the group. Paired off and the higher lvls made sure the lowers were buffed at all times. It was a beautiful example of friendship an expert co-ordination. :hugs:

Some time later the server filled up to about 10-12 people I think it was and, with the exception of DaveO and I who were much higher in level, everyone seemed pretty close in level. So DaveO and I ventured into UW while the others formed a party and continued the splatter bath in Shaddar-Nur... I think? Haha. Is that what you guys did? I think it was near an hour that DaveO and I were on our own so it's hard to say exactly what the other party did but one thing is for sure. They knocked the Shaddar-Nur Region Boss counter waaay down. And so what did we do? We had ourselves a Region Boss roast! :)

shaddarboss3.jpg
I had not done a Shaddar-Nur run before which ment I was more than a wee bit ummm... Freaking out! haha. Of course who am I complain being that I was the highest level player at the time of 150. A great big O'l 3 cheers and a rah! is surely deserved to mom/Genenut who joined us in this most amazing Region Boss battle. She was level 108! Brave indeed! The servers were pretty lagged out but then given the circumstances of battling Region Boss's with a 7 person party I guess it actually could have been a lot worse.
shaddarboss1.jpg
The poor server was obviously exhausted after our duty was done and the land was free of the foul demons because much after the slaying of the region bosses there was still a HUGE amount of lag. So much so that it was near impossible for me to type out a message let alone walk anywhere. :sigh: All in all things went very well and I'm most pleased to announce that everyone survived the battle. Surprising considering the conditions for some were very grim. I guess Kamikaze folk are made of sterner stuff than I had ever thought before. Certainly the title of this event was upheld during this past Kamikaze, lol. I do recall someone saying just before heading into the pit that held the Region Boss's... "No guts no glory!" I think that said it all for this Kamikaze. Awesome battle everyone and a ton of fun it was!

Big thanx to all who came to the various Kamikaze's during this generation! Here's a final pic of an island celebration after our success against the Region Boss's. :)

players1.jpg

As you may have noticed there are some new polling options at the top of the page here so feel free to click some poll options everyone. The polling is there for everyone who participates in the Kamikaze.

Cheers all. :)

I voted for restart so that those who have lost a toon can rejoin us , the more the merrier

I like level caps as to keep from having 60 level diff between toons in kami, its safer for all that way

That said I think the level progression should slow donw after 60, it gets much harder to level after that and the 40 level jump between 80 and 120 was VERY hard. I finally made 118 (not 108) and eventually at this weeks kami 120, but since I work and have dial up I can only level high level toons when im not working and someone opens the room.

Maybe only a 20 level diff after level 60? and for the levels of 100 and 140, dont progress to the next level so those who didnt spend the week leveling can still play also so at level 100, stay in gold, at 140 stay in plat.

Thats my 2 cents ...

Well if it the level progression does slow down even before level 60 I would agree to it. For 1 reason only I remember how burnt out I was one the 1st kamikaze I joined in on. 60 level's in almost a day in a half can burn you out. On that note I still thik level caps should be done away with. there are loads of area's to play in. for each server difficulty. I am more in favor of doing server caps more than level caps. it just seems to me an easier option to go for.

I think for the restart, it would be best if everyone was the same level. Now I COULD try seeing how well my Glad holds up on another Kami run, but for now he's safe from being lost to monster mobs. I've been pushing my Dwarf past his normal 'hovering' place of level 60. I have to agree the levels get MUCH harder once Platinum is reached. I feel Gold can be reached a LOT easier than Platinum and especially Niobium. Despite my earlier post, I am planning to join this Sunday's session with my Daemon. If she dies, it frees up a very valuable slot where I can devote my final online Hardcore builds to the special damage sets.

P.S. - My Daemon is level 6, so I'll have to figure a way to play without impacting the others. Or I could do the smarter thing and be real nice and avoid the session until about an hour into the game.

P.S.S - I think I spent at least half my time running, one quarter fighting, and the other quarter just panicking in trying to make sure I was not overwhelmed with lag. Of course with my Dagger Stare on, all those monsters in the room were triggered to come after everybody. I was the one who put in the 'No guts, no glory' thinking that IF I died I would make such an end to be worth remembering.

Edited by DaveO

just my 2 cents and imho I would go for server Difficulty. The parties it has seemed to me can be broken down into those with relative lvls or those comfortable with parting up. To me it means more people might join if there is that |Server opening rather than a specific level. And for fear of spawning high lvlmonsters to other players the 'run areas' can be spread out much more and agreed before hand. It's a pretty big world, seems there should be room for all :devil:

In thinking on this for a few days I do agree as well that server difficulty is the most fairest way to go, I would love to see more people be able to join in on the fun, this past Sunday the parties worked really well. I restart is a great idea as well although would love to have a special outing for the higher chars sometime as well. my first kami kid is still up there and hasn't been played very much (Its just not as fun alone, and felt kinda lost with her on the restart :devil: )

I'm not casting an official vote in the poll - my work right now is gearing up for 7 days a week activity for the next 3 or 4 weeks so I probably won't be able to make Kami for a while. Maybe if you run the next 3 through plat/niob/niob and THEN restart . . .

Seriously, I think you need to cap the run off with at least 1 niobium session, or it will feel incomplete.

I'd tend to agree gial although last weeks event did seem like the perfect sign off to an amazing Kamikaze generation. The fact that everyone survived the circumstances we put ourselves through last Sunday was pretty spectacular to say the least, lol. Seemed like a good time to pick up the money chips and run so to speak. :4rofl: Not only that but we do have some family waiting to get back in the action and I'm eager to see everyone back in it and having a grand time together.

So as the poll states this coming Kamikaze will mark the birth of a new generation and a new way of choosing how to progress. To help in keeping the Kamikaze organized I've set up a new poll that will reset every week to allow participants to poll on the server difficulty they want and also the character level that they plan to reach for the coming Kamikaze for those who want to level at the same pace. For now you can see the poll options I've created in the Kamikaze Sunday announcement.

As for other events I think it is absolutely a great idea to have something else to do for those who aren't able to get in on the Kamikaze for whatever reason. Any and everyone can create an event and I encourage any and all to do so. ;)

See you all in Bronze on Sunday!

Well, it looks like I am the consensus - hehehe, at least until someone else votes.

I'm assuming the server level refers to the subsequent session as well. I think a step to silver 20 is eminently doable from a starter toon in one week. I may not be able to make it this week, but will try to have a character in parallel in case I can come next Sunday.

Edited by gial

I vote for bronze, since I wanted restart.

and first levels go so fast anyway, I think it should be possible to get to level 30 by next week.

It took my glad just a few hours (like 2 or 3) to get to level 26. so I hope all people manage to extract 3 hours of gaming in the entire week.

if not, plz reply to this post, so I can adjust my way of thinking regarding this. Nothing that bothers more then people who cant join caus they lacked time in the week

Please Sign In or Sign Up