The best movie witches of all time

Witches are cool. It takes some great acting to get a woman to scintillate with the kind of evil we love to see on the big screen. Sometimes it's their wart and sometimes it's their beauty. The best of them live close up near our heart and sometimes, late at night... they'll clutch it.

Here we go;

1-The Witches:

witches.jpg

The first time I saw Angelica Huston take her mask off It was enough to give me bedtime nightmares for a few nights. That nose, her look of hunger...yeah the Roald Dahl books are creepy. And this one was no less creepier than Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.

2-Hocus Pocus:

hocus-pocus-p.jpg

Bette Midler playing one of three witch sisters with a touch of humor, lots of magic and some snazzy special effects. This is one of Midler's little known successes, IMO. And one in my selection of Witch movies that'll leave you with a good feeling at the end. Nothing creepy here. Just Bette having a good time.

The Wizard of Oz:

wizard_oz_art.jpg

Margaret Hamilton claiming second best of all the witches I can think of. Yes, the Wizard of Oz is is reputed to be the first color movie, yes the wizard of Oz has those so-memorable sappy songs...but it's the witch that scares and fascinates. This movie is a bonus with two of them. But it's Hamilton's performance of the Wicked Witch of the West that spawned so many imitations of her and been the inspiration of so many children in their quest for Halloween treats. She's a big number two in my book, and only slightly edged out by my number one pick of them all...next.

Sleeping Beauty:

7002-1-large.jpg

She's the witchiest of them all. She balances poise, beauty, elegance, and an incredible cruelty. She is in love with the suffering of others. She has a voice of honey, is regal in bearing, and can tease and terrify at once. Her story of loss to Prince Charming in chains was enough to scare any youngster just from the dungeon's look itself. But it is her reasons for doing this to Prince Charming wherein lies her cruelty. It frames her with a subtlety that none of the other witches possess. She is one who will not stop at torturing anyone seen in pain and will derive even more pleasure, not just from their tears...but from the sound of their heart she breaks. It's the first time Disney ever used the word "hell" in a movie, and when she says it..it's enough to give you goosebumps.

I hope you've enjoyed your meeting with these ladies. They are rather memorable if not exciting. And they're always, always searching.

Sleep well

:D

gogo

p.s. disagree with my choice of ladies? Show me yours

Gotta love the 3 from Jack Nicholson's devilish "The Witches of Eastwick", too.

But Margaret Hamilton is/was supreme. What a cruel, cruel world . . .

Oh I have to go with a vote for Practical Magic :4rofl:

What can I say other than Great Hair, Great Cast, and an all around fun movie!

p40.jpg

Oh and the Craft. That one just hit me in the right place as teen.

craft.jpg

Now I'm sure I have more.. these are just the first two to pop into my head.

Ah, Gial I'd forgotten about the Witches of Eastwick. How could I forget about Nicholson and his trio of beauties as they terrorized their suburbs.

494339720_46c9e6af60_o.jpg

The effects at the end of this movie were especially good. With the last image we see of Nicholson as a weird baby face in some kind of gross ballon like effect just before it popped.

Chilling

Ari, I think I watched practical magic, but I'm not sure if I did. I'll have to check out the store and see if they have it.

Cheers all!

:4rofl:

gogo

Gotta love the 3 from Jack Nicholson's devilish "The Witches of Eastwick", too.

But Margaret Hamilton is/was supreme. What a cruel, cruel world . . .

Darn you beat me to it! The Witches of Eastwick was the first thing to pop into my head the second I started reading this thread... I looooved that movie hehe. Gogo I cannot believe you forgot that one at first! LOL :D

Helllooo people are there no Harry Potter fans here!?! *gasp* LOL :P

emmahermionedj9.jpg

The Crucible

crucible1gd3.jpg

Thats all I got for now hehe :P

Edited by ~Night.Wolfe~

I know!l

lol, NW, I'm ashamed I didn't think of that movie when I put up the thread. And the Harry Potter witches are sort of...milquetoast?

C'mon....this is Margaret Hamilton we're talkin about here folks.

Sorry, but you Harry Potter fans...take a seat on this one.

:dance:

gogo

I loved that movie. And you know what was my favorite part? The part where bette middler gets turned into a tree at the end. She makes this high pitched shriek that is two noted, but ends on the high note...and then, just like that...she freezes.

Brilliant

gogo

heheh, Blade...yah, there's probably a few in ogame huh ^^

Glad you like the topic. I had a great time putting it together. Dunno...something about witches is cool. They're scary but entrancing at the same time.

Schot, I'd forgotten about Bavmorda. Though I hated those two little pixies the moment I saw them, the final magical battle scene was one of the rare on-screen good ones.

gogo

p.s. poor Hermione :D

Ahhh, I forgot about her!

Good one, Kat, and those are some great pix.

However, I wanted to just add...that I think the only reason I appreciated her as much was because of the first time I met up with her which was in Constantine, where she plays a really bitter, bitter, Fallen Angel.

performer_tildaswinton4.jpg

After seeing her outstanding performance at the end of that movie as a fallen angel, I fell in love.

lol, when they mentionned that she was going to be the white witch in Narnia, I almost jumped up out of my seat with a feeling of complete satisfaction. It's not often that peeps get cast so perfectly.

Just can't get enough of her accent.

gogo

Guest FrostElfTwin

Wow. When I saw this title, I thought I could contribute.

Then Hocus Pocus (my fave) was covered (I was so happy when I found this one on DvD. I watch this movie almost every Hallowe'en). And Malificent from Sleeping Beauty (a movie I've only seen 5 minutes of--on Super 8). Practical Magic. Covered.

Even Hermine (my favourite character from HP movies).

However... another favourite of mine is Professor McGonnigal from HP. The Headmistress of Griffondor.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

How time is flying by!

Halloween here at DarkMatters four years later.

Four! :bounce:

New, pretty faces, shining posts, and, of course, our witches.

I'm thinking these witches may need some updating, have some even more wondrous have appeared?

cha%20%2818%29.gif

gogo

Is a female mage automatically a witch?

In german we have Hexe. The word reaches back to Heckenreiter (hedge rider), Heckengeister (hedge ghosts). Hecke would be a hedge or small bush. And old brooms were in fact just twigs from bushes tied together:

3010.jpg

Closest to our word Hexe would be the english word hag, with a very similiar meaning as Hexe.

So now which witch is best? 5 kids and german, my vote would be for the famous kid book by Otfried Preußler 'Die kleine Hexe', 'The little witch'. A young kid witch wants to be a famous witch and is hiding in the bushes while the adult witches perform their Walburgis Night. However she is discovered and her witch broomis burned. She us allowed to get a new one if she is doing only good stuff for a year.

So she in company with her raven abraxas she helps people whereever she can, just to learn when the year is over that doing good depends on the direction you watch it. She was ordered to punish and annoy people, not to help them...

The walburgis night dancing scene in the very cute czech/german animated movie from 1983, about 'The little Witch':

A close second (as a family movie) would be the one from the movie 'The sword in the stone':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVq8BDpC-V8&feature=related