Sacred Wiki - Latest Updates

Zeno, this looks great! Your quests are always spot on, I just love the writing you put in. lol, this format takes me a blink to get used to as I'm used to it from before, but it "makes sense" and once the paradigm shift occurs, it reads smoothly.

Thanks for putting such a huge one together, very detailed too with relevant pix.

:)

gogo

I'm happy you like it, gogo! Also I was not sure if all pictures were relevant.

Btw, I've been screwing a bit the quest template, since I saw there's a problem with 1280x1024 displaying. Look at the attached picture 1.

Then when I looked deep in the template, I saw the columns there in the header were set to 50% - 50% in the top part, and 60% - 40% in the quick walkthrough part (which is obviously not working properly, as the screenshot is far bigger than the 40% available). When I rewrite the page code for having 48% - 52% widths in both cases, I get displayed as attached picture 2.

So guys, I think we should change this in the template to apply for new quests. What I'm not sure is how to deal with existing quest writeups... there are a bunch of them, and not all of them match the current template, you know :unsure:

Happy wiking!

post-3009-0-73939400-1307466436_thumb.jpg

post-3009-0-80429900-1307466582_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zeno

So guys, I think we should change this in the template to apply for new quests. What I'm not sure is how to deal with existing quest writeups... there are a bunch of them, and not all of them match the current template, you know :unsure:

I'm thinking how bout we add this, for now, just as an option? This way everyone can choose the kind of story method they want to use in telling? We should also wait for Schot and others to get back to have a say in this as well. I do see this as a way of telling our quest stories...but is it my favorite?

I'm not so sure.

:unsure:

gogo

I have seen the stacking map issue shown in the first pic. I thought it was caused by my images until Silver explained it was a product of the width of my browser window. I guess the question is, what should be the minimum recommended window size for wiki viewing?

I vote that we do not spend any time reformatting existing quests when so many quests are still red. If I am editing the quest anyways, fine, but I would not go out of my way.

I'm thinking how bout we add this, for now, just as an option? This way everyone can choose the kind of story method they want to use in telling? We should also wait for Schot and others to get back to have a say in this as well. I do see this as a way of telling our quest stories...but is it my favorite?

Gogo, this has nothing to do with writing style or the new columns for detailed walkthrough. This affects to the very beginning of the page, exactly to the map+tabmap images that show where the quest takes place.

I vote that we do not spend any time reformatting existing quests when so many quests are still red. If I am editing the quest anyways, fine, but I would not go out of my way.

Yes, that's what I was thinking in... with so many red links there I think is not worthy to go back an reformat everything. Anyway, if anybody falls accidentally in a page to fix there's always the option to modify it.

I guess the question is, what should be the minimum recommended window size for wiki viewing?

Well, it's just an opinion, but I think 1280x1024 should be a minimum. It's not a very big resolution, and unfortunately not everyone can own a fullHD screen :(

This issue you're talking about seems to be a bit strange... When setting the template, both me and Schot checked it on lower resolutions and it was OK. The maps showed fine for me on 1280x800. Still, maybe some editing is OK either. Also, I agree that 1280x1024 is a size that we consider a 'minimum requirement' for viewing the wiki.

As for the new walkthrough formatting, it seems to be questionable thing. It's a matter of taste, I think. When we were discussing the template, the agreement was that the 'Detailed Walkthrough' shouldn't be just for pics and it's better when the pics don't follow each other directly without some text inbetween. It was one of the key things when we worked one the template - not more than one-two images in row. The table formatting is oriented exactly on the pics following each other... now I'm not sure what to consider 'right'. Anyway, I think that I'll keep my work 'freestyle', since I tend to write walls of text.

By the way, about the question about necessary pics:

How many pictures we should allow per quest. Reason I ask is because of quests like Children and Demons. There are a lot of images and considering we're going to make thumbnails bigger we might need to limit the number of images. At the very least a limit of 2 images per line so that everything fits. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to make that quest work. Maybe I'll use it as the proposal page...

Number of images goes to the same point as 'Include specific instructions for what images should be on the page'. How about the following:

1. Quest giver's location - camera view and two maps in the header, no images in the further text.

2. All quest dialogs resized to 430px - but only one in the row.

3. Destination maps, possible with highlighted way to that place (and probably canera view) - maps together in a double map, camera view separately above (or below) them.

4. Do not include any maps of the NPCs. They have their own pages after all. No need to double all the images twice.

This is from the quest template discussion. Schot agreed with this list in the following post, I just don't feel like quoting it. In other words - you can make the page smaller if you remove the maps and maybe camera views for the NPCs. You can keep the camera to show the context, but the map is not really necessary, since it's included in the new NPC template. It's up to the author to decide whether or not to put all the maps on the page though.

On a side note, I'm sorry for my partial absence. I just fell ill a week ago. It turned out to be an ordinary food poisoning, but with all the stuff that happened in Germany recently, our doctors became more attentive to people with this diagnosis. So I had to spend a lot of time in hospital... Anyway, it's over now. I feel OK and docs finally are sure that there is nothing to worry about. I'm finally back to my normal life and hopefully to the wiki too.

Edited by Silver_fox

On a side note, I'm sorry for my partial absence. I just fell ill a week ago. It turned out to be an ordinary food poisoning, but with all the stuff that happened in Germany recently, our doctors became more attentive to people with this diagnosis. So I had to spend a lot of time in hospital... Anyway, it's over now. I feel OK and docs finally are sure that there is nothing to worry about. I'm finally back to my normal life and hopefully to the wiki too.

Good to hear you are better and far away from hospital! :hugs:

About the maps and cameras, that's what I meant when I said "not sure if all of them are needed and/or worthy.". I feel there are too many pics there, but I was unsure on which were needed and which not. Your own quoting is self explanatory. Let's wait and see what others have to say about this, but I think it's a good idea to "move" that maps to the NPC pages. But I'm not so sure on what to do with camera screenshots :unsure:

Glad you're feeling better Silver :)

Been taking a wee break from the wiki here recently...a little burnt out and a little too busy at work....probably pushing 80 hrs this week

Silver, I am glad it turned out OK for you. I heard about that whole thing on public radio. It is kind of scary.

Well, it seems that "life" is rearing its ugly head for a lot of us. I am taking a class this summer which is going to take up two nights a week.

I have the next Seraphim quest, Children and Demons III written up. Unfortunately, I missed a dialog and it would be extremely difficult for me to go back and get it, so I am just going to have to leave it for now. I have three quest enemies I need to create bestiary pages for. I assume "Child with Demonic Expression" would go in the Demon section, but what about "Bad Father" and "Bad Mother", the Human page? Also, what about the Category?

In the hospital? Information about food poisoning like this seems to hit especially harder when someone we know afflicted. The time in the hospital must have been long for you, I'm glad you made it out okay, but maybe take some relax time and walk sockless on green grass.

Energize batteries

Very happy you are safe

:hugs:

gogo

Thank you for the support guys, but you don't have to worry about me. I'm completely OK now (and back to the wiki).

I have three quest enemies I need to create bestiary pages for. I assume "Child with Demonic Expression" would go in the Demon section, but what about "Bad Father" and "Bad Mother", the Human page? Also, what about the Category?

Where the enemies should go in the bestiary usually is defined by the inscriptions is their lifebars. If the inscription in game says 'Human' than the enemy is human. I guess that you don't remember it right now, so it's OK to put them on the Human page until somebody checks the quest. These pages are quite easy to move to the other place of the bestiary, so it won't be a big problem even if you make a mistake. As for the categories: for the bestiary page itself, it's better to open any other page of this section and to use the similar categorization. For the bestiary images it's better to follow Knuckles' scheme:

I try to do same with Bestiary, so say for instance I found a Hairy Knuckle and it was a T-Mutant, my codes would now be this: [[Category:T-Mutant Enemy|{{PAGENAME}}]] and [[Category:Bestiary Images|Bestiary Images]]

As for me, I checked the Cut Off quest in game some more times to look when and how it failes. So I corrected some things on the quest page. Also made new pages for all NPCs from this quest and the place page for High Elf Outpost 5. Tomorrow I'll continue working in the same area. I plan to make a quest page for 'One Last Plea' and respective NPC pages before moving forward to other areas.

The Bestiary pages were just an afterthought. After completing the quest, I realized the enemies had no Bestiary pages, so I snapped pics of their stats.

The Hunt III is now complete. I just have one more Seraphim quest to write up

I'm done with One Last Plea and NPCs who take part in this quest. Now I'm thinking about writing up its Shadow counterpart called 'Talisman' to complete the page for High Elf Outpost 5 (I know that the quest giver should be in this outpost, but not sure about who exactly it is).

You may already know this, do not be insulted, but have you checked the Places page? I have found that the quest and quest giver are normally listed there.

Wait, lujate, I was talking for adding a quest giver for the new CM only quest called 'Talisman', which was red when I was writing 'One Last Plea' several minutes ago. But maybe you confused it with a base game quest The Talisman, which was written long time ago. Well, they really do have similar names.

You have to successfully start Cut Off to get One Last Plea and that Talisman quest that is CM only. If I remember correctly the quest giver shows up at the some point in time that the one for Cut Off does and close to the same location.

Wait, lujate, I was talking for adding a quest giver for the new CM only quest called 'Talisman', which was red when I was writing 'One Last Plea' several minutes ago. But maybe you confused it with a base game quest The Talisman, which was written long time ago. Well, they really do have similar names.

Sorry about that. I did not realize that was a CM quest.

I have now completed the Seraphim Class Quest. I was surprised to discover the Black Seraphim does not have a Bestiary page. There is a red link on the Boss page for "Dark Seraphim", but that is all. Is there a story behind the "Black Seraphim" vs "Dark Seraphim"? In-game, they use both names. I snapped a pic of her stats and it say "Black Seraphim". I am going to create a basic Bestiary page. Should I use the existing Dark Seraphim, or change it to Black Seraphim?

I always wondered about that 'Dark Seraphim' entry. No one seemed to know what that enemy really was. But it looks like you figured it out :)

I would change it over to Black Seraphim. If she is a boss then I would put on that page otherwise delete that entry off the boss page and make one in the quest bestiary

From what I see, she is called 'Black Seraphim' both as enemy and as NPC - just look at the caption of her dialogs in any of 'The Hunt' quests. So I assume that it would be more correct than calling her 'Dark Seraphim' even though she's called that in some dialogs.

By the way, there is nothing to worry about in this CM quest we discussed. Even though CM devs claimed that it should be called 'Talisman', it's actually called 'From Cold Dead Hands' in game, so it can't be confused with any other quest that is on the wiki.

I finally made pages for the From Cold Dead Hands quest and its respective Enemy-NPC called Injured Soldier (it's a bit hard to call him an enemy, since your character simply kills this defenseless soldier, but the game sees him as such). Actually, I made a page for this quest two days ago, but I managed to close my browser without saving the page, so I had to re-do the work.

Anyway, I'm done with CM quests in the High Elf Outpost 5 and moving to Artamark quests (also CM ones). The next one would be 'Hunt for Rats'.

Edited by Silver_fox

I changed the Boss page and created the Black Seraphim page.

Mystery solved, the dark seraphim laid to rest in the wiki, foreveah!..nice work lujate

I finally made pages for the From Cold Dead Hands quest and its respective Enemy-NPC called Injured Soldier (it's a bit hard to call him an enemy, since your character simply kills this defenseless soldier, but the game sees him as such). Actually, I made a page for this quest two days ago, but I managed to close my browser without saving the page, so I had to re-do the work.

Anyway, I'm done with CM quests in the High Elf Outpost 5 and moving to Artamark quests (also CM ones). The next one would be 'Hunt for Rats'.

Thats terrible about the no save, Silver :( I hate when that happens, and even though, after a few times of losing king's ransoms worth of data, I still find myself often working directly on Wiki pages themselves, instead of note pad :blink:

I like the two new quests you added, I'm happy to see a few of us still adding bits here and there, comfy feeling, and summer is here, so I'm taking it easy as well, maybe even get another game going to play for fun, while leaving Wiki here for me to relax on ^^

As you guys may have noticed, there is an error showing up at the top of the pages now with javascript, Schot's busy at work in the dbase now, with me editing all the set item pages and adding no include links, as the info was being called to the main set pages, not making them look pretty.

:)

gogo

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of this, but the Boss Map of Ancaria isn't working. It says I don't have permission to view it.

Here's a link: http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Boss_Map_of_Ancaria

I am not familiar with that page. What should it show? When did it stop working?

I normally do not rework existing quest write-ups, but I have started tweaking The Cursed Forest main quest. I have made it through the first 4. I really like the existing camera pic in Forest of Thousand Eyes but would prefer it to have the standard border. Can someone tell me how to do that when the pic uses a standard URL, instead of Image wiki tag I am familiar with?

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of this, but the Boss Map of Ancaria isn't working. It says I don't have permission to view it.

Here's a link: http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Boss_Map_of_Ancaria

Boss map was combined with Map of Ancaria, so when the general map was moved from maplib to the wiki itself, the boss map was left behind. This page is obsolete now, but I'm not the one to decide what to do with it.

I really like the existing camera pic in Forest of Thousand Eyes but would prefer it to have the standard border. Can someone tell me how to do that when the pic uses a standard URL, instead of Image wiki tag I am familiar with?

The way to add the frame border is to find the image link and type:

{{S2frame|

or in this case maybe

{{IBframe|

before the link and

}}

after it. In this case it would be:

{{S2frame|http://www.sacredwiki.org/images/Sacred_2/quests/IceBlood/cursed/eyes/eyesvszombie.jpg|left}}

It is also a good idea to add

<br clear="both" />

after the frame code inside the walkthrough.

But the trouble is that this image is too big. I don't know any way to make the wiki resize it to the appropriate size, so maybe you would have to just save this image to your computer and re-upload it. That way may be better, since it also allows to categorize this image properly.

Edited by Silver_fox
  • The title was changed to SacredWiki Back OnLine! - DarkMatters and SacredWiki Updates