Sacred Wiki - Latest Updates

By the way, is it possible to create a place page for the place that has no name that flashes on the screen when you enter? Some of the ones from the Places section don't have names for sure, so maybe it's possible to add one more. I'm thinking about making a page for the fort/outpost from the Cut Off quest. It has a monolith and a trader, and CM brings 3 quests and 4 (maybe 5) quest NPCs here, so the place may be of some interest.

The last time I brought up the suggestion for naming this area, I suggested naming it High Elf Outpost 4. I see that there is a red link on the High Elf Outpost page for that.

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:High_Elf_Outpost

Outpost no. 3 should be listed as an Inquisition Outpost. That would make the current no. 4 into no. 3 and the proposed no 5 into no 4.

Edited by Ysne58

Finished another quest, Bad Sheep.

I made a small experiment here, it consists of using a column layout for the detailed walkthrough. I like the content being more structured and condensed, but not sure if it will like everybody, or if everybody would use same layout. I'll wait for your comments and re-format to standard or keep/modify this layout, whatever decided. Thanks for your feedbak :)

I think it looks fine. IMO, more importantly, it makes that page shorter by putting the text and pics side-by-side, instead of stacked. The code looks easy enough.

I say: :thumbsup:

I made a small experiment here, it consists of using a column layout for the detailed walkthrough. I like the content being more structured and condensed, but not sure if it will like everybody, or if everybody would use same layout. I'll wait for your comments and re-format to standard or keep/modify this layout, whatever decided. Thanks for your feedbak :)

I think that is brilliant Xeno. Something like that might look good with logbook entries where there are both the pictures of the logbook and a typed out entry.

The code looks easy enough.

I could even create a template for these tables, as the structure is always 400px for text, 50 px for separation, then pictures. It would be something similar to

{{TemplateName|Text...bla...bla...bla|Images}}

which would be even easier than having to handle with those widths and aligns every time.

By the way, is it possible to create a place page for the place that has no name that flashes on the screen when you enter? Some of the ones from the Places section don't have names for sure, so maybe it's possible to add one more. I'm thinking about making a page for the fort/outpost from the Cut Off quest. It has a monolith and a trader, and CM brings 3 quests and 4 (maybe 5) quest NPCs here, so the place may be of some interest.

The last time I brought up the suggestion for naming this area, I suggested naming it High Elf Outpost 4. I see that there is a red link on the High Elf Outpost page for that.

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:High_Elf_Outpost

Outpost no. 3 should be listed as an Inquisition Outpost. That would make the current no. 4 into no. 3 and the proposed no 5 into no 4.

Better yet, create a page for Inquisition Outpost 1 and name the High Elf Outpost with the CM added content High Elf Outpost 3. Then there would be no need to mess with no. 4 at all.

@ Xeno -- a template like that in the detailed walkthrough sounds like it would be really easy to use.

Edited by Ysne58

The code looks easy enough.

I could even create a template for these tables, as the structure is always 400px for text, 50 px for separation, then pictures. It would be something similar to

{{TemplateName|Text...bla...bla...bla|Images}}

which would be even easier than having to handle with those widths and aligns every time.

Do you mean a Walkthrough template or just to modify the Quest template?

No lujate, just a new Walkthrough template for use in quest writeups. Then the code above would be like:

{{Walkthrough|Text...bla...bla...bla|Images}}

Then it should be called for every part of the walkthrough (as many parts as text paragraphs/sections in the detailed walkthrough), like the frame for images that you call whenever you want to frame a screenshot.

Zeno, I really like the new idea for the data being displayed like that.

My only question...have you considered having pix on the left with the prose on the right? I'm just curious as to how that would "feel" when reading.

You'd be providing the reader a kind of impact-subject first with the explanation of what they're seeing coming after... or is the way that you have it run right now more smoother with the text first and pix second?

:)

gogo

The Cursed Forest special mount quest is done.

A Roof Over the Head

Solid page. Very good work. Heh, I just love hearing about Bob Zombie. Constructs and horses were very well conceived in Ice and Blood. I was looking at the quality of animation in them in a german ice and blood video, and they are beautiful. This is a quest players will love doing if not just for the sights alone.

:gogo:

gogo

Nice writeup for the quest. This new layout is definitely worth being discussed. The idea is very interesting, but there are few questionable moments either. First of all, I'm with gogo here:

My only question...have you considered having pix on the left with the prose on the right? I'm just curious as to how that would "feel" when reading.

The old layout treated the pics and the text equally and in a very simple consequence. It was very clear what goes after what. When we separate them in columns and put the text and the image on the same level, we should think about the order we want the reader to notice them. Do we want the text to be an intro that leads to an image, or a commentary for it? Things that are put on the same level look like they are about the same moment of the story, so the 'comment' approach comes easier here. If the text describes some things that happened before or after the image, it's not very logical to see them put next to each other. The reason is simple - when the text and the pic are on the same level, most of the users notice the pic first, and it feels strange, if the text actually describes a previous moment.

So how about combining both placements? If the text clarifies or comments on what's going on on the pic, it would look really nice next to the said pic. If the text is about some previous stuff, it can go before the pic at all the page width. If the text is about some next events that aren't shown on the picture, it can be put after it. It's just a suggestion though.

The second thing I have in mind is blank space. It's hard to avoid it while using the table method. When the text is longer than the pic or the pic is of incredibly big height (that happens with some dialogs), some blank space occures to make the height equal. When there are just a few blanks, it's OK, but when they become multiple, they are quite noticeable. I'm not sure about how exactly it affects the overall look and the impact this page has.

Silver makes a good point. There are times when having the text next to the picture makes a lot of sense and then others where it would be better to have the text either before or after the pictuer.

I created a page for Inquisition Outpost 1. I copied the contents from the High Elf Outpost 3 to this page, because this outpost is not a High Elf Outpost, it is an Inquisition Outpost.

I also messed up on my first try and typed the link as Sacred instead of Sacred 2 so that page needs to be deleted. Sorry about that.

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred:Inquisition_Outpost_1

I have not done a redirect from the High Elf Outpost 3 page to the Inquistion Outpost 1 page. I will leave that to someone else and then Silver can create a page for the High Elf Outpost that adds the CM content.

This place does not have a name in game by the way. Feel free to double check that.

Edited by Ysne58

I created a page for Inquisition Outpost 1. I copied the contents from the High Elf Outpost 3 to this page, because this outpost is not a High Elf Outpost, it is an Inquisition Outpost.

I also messed up on my first try and typed the link as Sacred instead of Sacred 2 so that page needs to be deleted. Sorry about that.

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred:Inquisition_Outpost_1

I have not done a redirect from the High Elf Outpost 3 page to the Inquistion Outpost 1 page. I will leave that to someone else and then Silver can create a page for the High Elf Outpost that adds the CM content.

This place does not have a name in game by the way. Feel free to double check that.

I'm pretty sure that is the only Inquisition Outpost in the game, but I haven't completely covered the map yet, so I might be wrong.

Nice writeup for the quest. This new layout is definitely worth being discussed. The idea is very interesting, but there are few questionable moments either. First of all, I'm with gogo here:

The old layout treated the pics and the text equally and in a very simple consequence. It was very clear what goes after what. When we separate them in columns and put the text and the image on the same level, we should think about the order we want the reader to notice them. Do we want the text to be an intro that leads to an image, or a commentary for it? Things that are put on the same level look like they are about the same moment of the story, so the 'comment' approach comes easier here. If the text describes some things that happened before or after the image, it's not very logical to see them put next to each other. The reason is simple - when the text and the pic are on the same level, most of the users notice the pic first, and it feels strange, if the text actually describes a previous moment.

Yes, I love the concept of organizing the data...but... the way I am reading the new setup...my gut is instantly first attracted to the pic... so I find myself vaulting over the text to see the pic first...then going backwards to read the text which has come first with the new setup.

So how about combining both placements? If the text clarifies or comments on what's going on on the pic, it would look really nice next to the said pic. If the text is about some previous stuff, it can go before the pic at all the page width. If the text is about some next events that aren't shown on the picture, it can be put after it. It's just a suggestion though.

I' m hoping as well for an inclusive way to do both, depending on how the "feel" is of the quest being story boarded.

:)

gogo

I have added the final pics for the HE Light quest. I also discovered that the Cursed Forest chain quest is blue, but the quests are not done to the current standard, so I have started editing those as well. Unfortunately, I was already partially into the chain before I realized, so the beginning quests have not been touched.

Hi guys, I'm back after a couple of days out working. Some comments about the quest writeup layout proposed in Bad Sheep:

About text on left pics on right, it's because I wanted to match several pictures in a row. That's very useful for those steps where you have to talk to someone, where you can put the camera screenshot then the dialog on the right. When done this way, you can see both of them in a row if your screen is wide enough, or one below another if not. The key thing is the text column is always in the same place, which could not be achieved if pictures were on left and text on right. Moreover, having different picture widths would make the page look odd.

About blank spaces, I have to admit that I don't like that "feature" either. If you have any suggestion it will be welcome. Anyway, I also find uncomfortable to have two lines of text, then the big space occupied by pictures, then one or two more lines, big space with pictures, and so on. I feel like I get lost reading. I tried to think of a way to put all text together and all images together, but I didn't come to any good idea.

Added new quest, Infidelities. This one has lots of screenshots, but not sure if all of them are needed and/or worthy. What are your thoughts?

About the text alignment, maybe I could manage to create several templates which would allow to add text and pictures in different layouts: one for text + images in column layout (the one I used), another for text + picture + text in three rows layout, etc. The purpose would be to allow different (three or four, not many more) ways to structure the quest detailed walkthroughs while making it easier and keeping consistent a style in the whole page as well as with other writeups. Of course you could keep not using them and writing free style. Again, not sure if it would be worthy or not; my style fits well in the column layout, despite I assume other writer's style may not. Thanks for your comments!

• The title was changed to SacredWiki Back OnLine! - DarkMatters and SacredWiki Updates