Left Overs?

erialc

As the topic title suggests, how are you with left overs? Chinese, Indian, Pizza, something home cooked?

I love spag bol the next day as it alllllways tastes better, cold pizza yummy!...Cold chinese, now I know this may sound a bit odd but I love it! ofc depending what it is. Curry I'll reheat it and dip chunks of bread in it. I think pretty much I'll eat it the next day and actually prefer it that way after all the flavours have melded even more!

How are you do you tub it and reheat the next day or are you a it didn't get finished so you bin it?

hehe and for breakfast I'm going to tuck into a chinese hahah such a treat chicken and cashews! wooT!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

ok some foods can be make into something else, those I save. Like rice, leftover rice makes excellent fry rice component. If flavored it can be made into riceballs, stir fry, vegetable rice, glazed rice, depending on the contents.

Meat leftovers can be made into steam buns, fry buns, dumplings, potsticker, and many types of dim sum.

And curry is totally fine for a couple days, no doubt about it. :hugs:

I cannot agree about cold pizza however... that's just gross :hugs:. I'm sorry, that's just not right.

ok myles you got my mouth watering for some pot stickers and kim-chi' ( how I miss the army and being stationed in korea for a yr )

but seriously I am a left over freak I love them they are good and mmmmmmmmm the flavor the next day mmmmmmm the best. but cold pizza myles is right YUCK

Sometimes when I order pizza I order an extra small one so I can put it in the fridge for next morning's breakfast. Cold pizza? One of life's great pleasures.

I my household, left over rice will turn into nasi goreng(fried rice). Actually, little bits of left over meat will turn into the same. Gumbo is always better the next day as is chili con carne. Spaghetti is nice the next day as well and can be eaten cold. I've even gone as far as making a spaghetti sandwich(yes the pasta is in there as well)

My grandma is a highly religious (buddhist and taoist) vegan. She cooks a variety of vegetarian food everyday. Actually I think it is my great grand aunt who cooks...I am not sure..Anyways they cook a ton. so everyday they eat left overs that are leftovers from the day before, and since they do not use microwave, they recook it with oil...so the vegetarian food becomes very oily....

P.S. I don't eat leftovers unless they are really good :thumbsup:. I have no waste food either, since I eat lots like a garbage :)

Edited by OuttaTown

Oh spaghetti sandwich makes me think of spaghetti pizza. Normally pasta and pizza aren't talking with each another, pasta being too watery for the pizza dough.

But leftover spaghetti doesn't have this problem. And spaghetti (namely meat marinara) brings a chewy texture to a pizza, very interesting mix. :thumbsup:

My family doesn't allow anybody to eat cold leftover, something about bacteria and leftover meat.

My family doesn't allow anybody to eat cold leftover, something about bacteria and leftover meat.

Awww you don't know what you are missing!...meatballs in spaghetti sauce the next day or 2 days later OMG...:thumbsup: I have baggies in my freezer if mini leftovers I couldn't throw away but wasn't int he mood for and they make such a wicked snack!

Once it's stored properly it's fine, them bacteria's can be our friends too hehe

But having had a serious bout of Salmonella when I was preggers I am careful....and no it wasn't caused by left overs :)

I've had my fair share of bacterial problems caused by food, including a real nasty one given to my by my mother-in-law. It involved a pot of chicken breasts left on the stove in water for a week. She thought it was fine as long as she boiled them every morning.

As long as the food makes it to the fridge, it's fine to eat it cold.

Good garlicky and peppery stuff like Kung pao is great the next day -- the flavors seem to permeate throughout adding a new zest.

Cold pizza for breakfast? Yes indeedy! Other leftovers I generally re-heat in the m'wave.

Ok people.... Cold Pizza? I mean, have you all gone insane?! That is just soooo wrong! *takes everyones pizza away* Blasphemy! :(

What can I say though. I'm really not a leftovers fan. I won't throw it out and I will eat it the next day but I honestly can't think of a food I find more appetizing the day after. Hmmmm... But there's gotta be something. I need to fink more on this. olive.gif

I do love pizza but I'm afraid once its hit the 2 hour mark after coming out of the oven (If not less) I just cant eat it.. the cheese gets all chunky and semi transparent hehehe and yeck oh its just wrong! Now Ill make a huge batch of meat/hot sausage lasagna that always tastes better the longer it goes! by the 4th day OMG is it good with fresh mozzarella melted over it on each newly heated slice! .. Oh Im a bit obsessive about my lasagna!.. May have to make one now.. I know what Im shopping for tomorrow!

We seem to be divided on this issue. Come over to the dark side and enjoy the cold pizza. I will say this: Pizza with extra cheese is not good cold. I tend to choke on the cheese. Also, if the pizza is greasy--some are more so than others--cold, solidified grease is not too good either. But the right pizza, straight out of the fridge is great.

Remember that Stalone flick, were he was protecting Bridgett Nielsen? Can't remember the name of it. He was eating cold pizza as he cleaned his gun.

hehe you are so right Sil, I am a big fan of the thinnest pizza you can possibly get, kind of like sauce n cheese on dough thats crispy and paper thin, but those fat bready pizza cold no way.

You don't know what you are missing if you haven't tried cold pizza, thin n spicy mmmm, wish I had a slice right now! I did think of one thing I wouldn't eat and t's supposed to be cold, that soup, ack I can't remember it's name! Gazpacho...ugh, now that's just wrong! :(

I did think of one thing I wouldn't eat and t's supposed to be cold, that soup, ack I can't remember it's name! Gazpacho...ugh, now that's just wrong! :(

vichyssoise--cold potato soup.

Not bad, I really wanted to add a little heat. :woot:

heh, now now I do like cold soup. I mean I live all my live in regions near the equator, and its absolute hell in summer. But soup, yum... and cold soups are mighty during summer.

Oh well I suppose my opinion may change if I live in England for a bit. Chill+fog+rain+cold soup do sound nasty. :(

heh, leftovers are my life

And loox like they seem to make a place in everyone else's diet here as well ^^

Since I make a big pot of lentilleti once a week...I pretty much leftoverate that all though the week. A squeeze of chilli sauce from my favorite bottle ,and it's as good as the day it was cooked. The nuker is a dude's best friend and it quickly freshens up the plate of mixed macaroni and lentiletti with nothing but the tiniest touch of radiation.

What a deal!

:(

gogo

Before this day, I have absolutely no idea that people do eat pizza cold. I thought it was all sitcom madness... :P Couldn't be more wrong.

I have a weird feeling that its also true that there are people who eat steam rice with white sugar. :P Absolutely nastiness. Spare me, lie to me that no one practice such non-sense unhealthy diet. :D

Well I remember my mother talking about rice with butter and sugar. Sounds pretty nasty to me....then again, so does rice pudding. For me, put butter and tabasco in the rice and we are in business.

I have to agree with Ari on the pizza thingy

u dont eat it when the cheese have turned hard and yucky. what is good is the leftovers you can reheat to the way it was first time :P like spag or pasta

I just cant believe there are so many cold pizza haters. It is true-you need the right pizza. Not too thick on the cheese and enough sauce so its not dry. Mmm mmm and the funny thing is I hate leftovers. It grodes me out-the consistenecy and flavor are always off EXCEPT with pizza and CHILI!! A good chili just never goes bad-sometimes it improves the 2nd/3rd time around :mafia:

Edited by locutus

There sure are a lot of woosies out there, how can anybody not like cold pizza for breakfast? You've got to be joking right? Come on! Next you'll be telling me that you don't like hot custard on your pickled onions, or even crushed Orio cookies in your Chilli? (Leathal Weapon 2)

Edited by podgie_bear

Cold pizza...ahhh, a delight...just me waking up to the thought of having that yummy leftover treat in the fridge is a sometimes godsend. I find the flavor actually gets better...and it's not too bad if it's nuked again.

yay, more radiation!

:)

gogo

I will agree on the Chili.

Have I said that I have temped in a pizza parlor once? probably not. So I get to stare at fresh and cold pizza alike all day long, I just cannot imagine ever picking a cold one over the omg still steamy supreme, tomato basil, so on. :D

I just can't. Just the other day I was at the office and there's this cold pizza in the fridge. Its not mine obviously, and I was fighting desperately with myself not to throw it away. Oh the agony, the urge, the paaaaaaaaaaain.

Fine fine, I threw it away without a second thought. :4rofl: I'm an awful person.

Okay, this has gone far enough! :4rofl:

Listen to me people and listen well. The pizza is wonderful when it is fresh, though not all are created equal. Pizza is a wonderful synergy between the crust, sauce, cheese and toppings. Each is important. On their own, neither of these four parts can make the pizza--yet on their own, each of these four parts can break the pizza.

Now for the pizza to be enjoyed cold there are a few basic requirements that need to be met.

1) The crust should not be too bready. Thin crust or ultra-thin. Hand-tossed is fine. And none of those stuffed crust pizzas with the cheese inside. I hate those even when they are fresh--I feel like I'm eating raw dough.

2) The sauce....well it you are willing to eat the thing the next day then you, most likely, already like the sauce. But there shouldn't be too much of it.

3) The cheese. No extra cheese. Cold pizza cheese is a tricky thing. If there is too much it will gag you.

4) The toppings. Well I've eaten many types of pizza cold, but the thing you want to watch out for is oily toppings. Sausage, good. Pepperoni.....greasy. Some pizzas, when they arrive at your table or door are sooo greasy that you will see the red oil running off every time you lift a slice. When you go back the next day to eat more of it you remark to your self "Orange cheese?" Well that's not cheese--it's solidified grease. If you have a pizza that lookes like an oil tanker dumped it's load, do yourself a favor and dab it with a paper towel or three before you put it in the fridge.

If all of these points are considered you will have a taste delight waiting for you the next morning. And then you take your slice of cold pizza and gently take a bite. Your teeth break through the stiffened crust on the bottom and the the toppings on the top. The night before, with the guys, watching the game--you didn't have the time to savor the intricate tastes that make up this wonderful thing we call pizza.

Savor it, my friends....savor it.