What's happening in 2012?

Er...I get all kinds of conflicting answers that range from :

Nasa says that the poles are going to reverse by then or that the end of the world is coming or that the mayans are returning from outer space to take back Earth...

Anyone here have the real skinny on this?

:lol:

gogo

in 4 years I will be 23 and hopefully full time on the police force. if that happens, then the world will probably end just because that's my luck. but, really, in 2012, I think there will be another bunch of people that are going to pull a Heaven's Gate and try to follow some obscure astronomical movement into suicidal oblivion. the world will be rid of more fools.

-Total

Is it true though the stuff that nasa says about the poles reversing? er... we're not gonna fly off the earth or something are we?

*cough*

*nervous laughter*

:lol:

gogo

Oh no Gogo, Mostly its just another "dooms day" thing that goes around every few years.. No one knows nor they ever will, but it seems to be a fun thing to use to start fear in people when life in the world is quiet. :lol: It has been 8 years since the last one!

The magnetic poles have changed many, many times in the geologic history of the earth. If I recall, on the order of thousands to millions of years between. Not a chance NASA could predict when the next one comes with any hoped accuracy. Besides, NASA isn't in the natural phenomenon business. They can barely fly their space shuttles anymore.

The only thing I do know about 2012 (and even this is vague because I don't really pay close attention to TV ads) is that some company here in Minnesota -- a furniture company I think -- is selling crap (and I do mean crap) with 0% financing until 2012.

They flip through a bunch of fonts/colors/designs saying "any way you look at it . . ." Or maybe it's Menards and their "Big Card". I forget

Well.. I'm a bit less worried. I was really scouring the net to find some "tone" on this... and nowhere could I find anything that could convince me that it was either very serious or a kind of laugh-off. Well, just for peace of mind, I'm just glad to see that everyone here is pretty laid back about this, and I guess I'll go back to every day rigmarole.

Whew

:D

gogo

In 2012 will be just like today. People are still doing same stuff, but hybrid cars are more popular and new music trends are ruling charts. For real, it's only a 4 years away.. can you say what HUGE difference has happened between years 2004-2008? I can't remember anything special..

End of world comes somewhere around 2020, as it will start a new ice age in europe, so I'll be moving into kangaroos bag by that time :bye:

Edited by Obsession

Magnetic poles is constantly changing, I guess its part of the reason that regular compasses don't work in the polar region.

So what if its actually gonna reverse, there might be nothing to it. We are all either sleeping or working and boom the poles reversed. No one alive has seen the last reverse, so who is to say what would or would not happen.

I agree, every some years there will be a new end of the world theory, show us real data plz I say! :bye:

Hehe when they tell you that something bad is going to happen I am not worried!

I was more worried when I saw yesterday on then news that an asteroid just missed us one of the big ones. The funny thing is they didnt know if it will hit or not so they chose not to say anything till it past all well. I guess the big one that they know will hit for know is coming in 2020 or something and all they are doing about it is preying that gravity will pull it away. :bye:

gogo: Just make hay while the sun does shine!

In other words, enjoy the here and now, the future will take care of itself somehow... (Howard Jones)

The old man said to me

Said don't always take life so seriously

Play the flute

And dance and sing your song

Try and enjoy the here and now

The future will take care of itself somehow

The grass is never greener over there

Time will wear away the stone

Gets the hereditary bone

Chorus

Don't try to live your life in one day

Don't go speed your time away

Don't try to live your life in one day

The old man said to me

Said you can't change the world single-handedly

Raise a glass enjoy the scenery

Pretend the water is champagne

And fill my glass again and again

While the wolves are gathering round your door

Gets the hereditary bone

The old man said to me

Said don't always take life so seriously

Play the flute

And dance and sing your song

Try and enjoy the here and now

The future will take care of itself somehow

The grass is never greener over there

Gets the hereditary bone

I tried to live my life in one day

I bit off more than I can chew

Only so much you can do

Wolves are gathering round my door

Ask them in and invite some more

I tried to live my life in one day

Howard Jones LIFE IN ONE DAY lyrics

No, poles have already reversed. This is a hoax. :P

But in 2012... I will be 22. Heck, I might even be married by then. That is a scary thought. Poles reversing doesn't scare me. >_>

FYI: North magnetic is at South, and South magnetic is at North. (poles). I could talk for a long time about this, but it would bore you and make me look like an old boring prof. :drinks:

22!? I'll be 24, I'll have graduated by then! Well, assuming I don't have to resit any years :drinks: If all goes as planned I'll be shackled down with a screen makup artist in a flat anywhere but London! Doubt the ring will be on the finger by that point as she'll just be 21, but it'll certainly be in the back of the head.

• 2 weeks later...