Petals around the rose puzzle

PLEASE DO NOT POST THE ANSWER OR SOLUTION IN THIS THREAD

:)

I still haven't solved it yet...I just want to hear others out there whining about this one with me as well.

Good luck

:(

gogo

I was introduced to "Petals Around the Rose" by Dr. Richard Duke at the University of Michigan . Dr. Duke used to begin each of his gaming/simulation courses with this exercise. While some students would solve the problem right away, others would struggle all semester. It had taken Dr. Duke well over a year himself, and he would always explain that the smarter you were, the longer it took to figure it out.

The game is quite simple. Only a basic understanding of math is required and an open and creative mind. The game can be used as an example of how different people look at the world differently, and how these different ways of looking can yield different answers. In "Petals Around the Rose" there is always one correct answer. The problem is how we define the problem.

"Petals Around the Rose" is traditionally played with 5 six-sided dice. I developed this version using Macromedia Flash as both an exercise for me to learn Flash and as a way to share the game with the world. Let me know what you think!

The link:

http://www.freeworldgroup.com/games/roses/

Instructions:

Press the "Roll" button to get started.

Enter how many petals you think are around the rose.

Press the "Check" button to check your answer.

Repeat steps 1-3 until you can get it right every time!

Once you have figured it out, don't spoil the fun for others...let them figure it out for themselves!

p.s. I guess I'm just one of those peeps too "smart" to get it in the first few minutes

whatever

:)

*bangs club against game* It no work! Can't make it go! *glares at Ike the smarty pants and points* Maybe if we cook the smart sheep and eat him we'll get more smarts...

Smart Ike patties anyone? barbecue.png

I rolled and rolled, trying out different calculations on the dice. Nothing.

I am ashamed to admit that I, frustration beginning to set in, sought help in the form of google and the phrase "How to solve petals around the rose"....<lowers head in shame>

Well, that did not get me the answer, but it did give me a wonderful clue that I had thought of before but discounted as being to simple to be the truth.

and he would always explain that the smarter you were, the longer it took to figure it out.

well I am in no hurry....

I dont understand.. its some dices and they ask for petals in roses :S whats a petal?

EDIT: I thought I might add... I got correct on 12th try or something... and I how now idea why

got it on the second roll.. the answer on the first roll gave it away for me ...

it is indeed deceptively simple.. but the answer imho is not to be found in math

Edited by DreDBanGeR

Well I formulate for a while, and gosh how stupid I was...

Anyway, this is a trick dam it! So does that mean I'm not smart and stupid at the same time? :gun2:

The name says it all. I see the first roll and I think roses, petals. It is obvious, no? And Dred is right for the most part. Logic rules, arithmetic then resolves the answer.

After many many tries I stopped and it was upon returning to it that it clicked for me. The answer for me was what you see before even rolling the first time.

I'm kinda with Stubbie & Erling on this one.

Looked at it & thought, Holy Hannah!'s the rose?

Got the second one corret & the rest wrong...

Where's the fraking rose?!?!?!?!?

and he would always explain that the smarter you were, the longer it took to figure it out.

it tells all about u kery :4rofl:

Edited by Erling