Language is a fickle master. A lot of words 'sound' different to how they look.............if you know what I mean ?

I am very interested in languages in general.

Speaking Norwegian and English, I have a very good chance to learn other languages like German, Dutch, Icelandic, and such.

They share alot of words with Norwegian and English, and will not take too long to learn.

If I should learn a totally different language like Indian or Greek, it would take alot of time and space in my head for sure.

Mainly because they share very few words with the languages I know, and besides, I would have to learn a whole new alphabet.

Language is a fickle master. A lot of words 'sound' different to how they look.............if you know what I mean ?

Speaking Norwegian and English,

Not at the same time I hope, cause that would get very messy indeed !?

Not at the same time I hope, cause that would get very messy indeed !?

Naturally, Steve.

Still, I actually feel my Norwegian slipping away.

I watch ALOT of movies in English and listen to music with English lyrics.

And I don't speak to that many people up here.

I wrote how I got my name and avatar here already : How I got my avatar.

My cousine is named Katja. When IRC and internet chatting started when she was a student she needed a nick name. Since Katja was already taken by someone else I made the joke that she should nick herself Chattia.

Chattii (latin for wildcats) was the german tribe who lived in our area. So Chattia would stand for a female wildcat to show where she is from. With to chat having just a 't' less it was a funny and unique nick at this time.

Brother Grimm did a famous law of sound shifting and it says that a C/CH was changed to H with time and a T changed to S. So the Old Chattii are now the german state Hessen.

So when I did a nick for myself I was choosing Chattius. Katja is the godmother of our second daughter and our second daughter has Chattia as a second name.

Sadly my nick is not so unique anymore - a company had to change its name and changed Hassius to Chattius and other people had the same ideas. But I have IRC logs dating back 20+ years.

So I was first and I am allowed to keep my nick :)

The chemical element 108 Hassium was first disvovered in Hessen. It should be named after the state Hessen ...

After several tries

Hessium - Hesse was the name of the second nazi after Hitler, couldn't be used

Chattium - was to close in some languages speaking to cadmium

Then Hassium was taken, part of it was that Hass is german for hate and the discoverers hated the discussion about the name and said quickly yes when the midage latin writing of Hessen was brought into discussion.

So I am lucky that I haven't to explain to chemicians why I nick myself Chattius when the element would be named Chattium.

@Sirius

If you are interested in germanic languages perhaps read into Grimm's law and modern variants of it. The brothers Grimm collected the fairytales while doing language research. After 2 world wars their maps and collected material is the main research stuff for german linguists.

For example:

In germany we have 2 words for saturday: Samstag and Sonnabend. Samstag is a variant of Sambaton, old greek for day of saturn. Sonnabend is from a time when germans had a day starting with the evening. So it was the evening (Abend) belonging to sunday. After the Varus battle the romans did a fortified border line (limes germanicus) which divided our state Hessen in 2 parts. One north of the limes remaining germanic and one south of the limes getting affected by roman and greek words. The limes is 550 kilometres long and the third longest building world wide: after chinese wall and hadrian wall.

This is a card of Hessen showing the distribution of the 2 words in 1940.

http://www.uni-marburg.de/aktuelles/unijournal/7/Sprache/Sprachkarte1

And this in 1990

http://www.uni-marburg.de/aktuelles/unijournal/7/Sprache/Sprachkarte2

The wars made many people fleeing and settling elsewhere so the old researchs are the only chance left to find out where certain tribes settled. The Grimm's interrogated farmer people because they were the least likely to have moved. So when they did their maps they found old 2000 year old borderlines between tribes. A research which can't be done anymore nowadays, at least here in germany.

My name has its roots from the Gargoyle TV series and the character Matt Bluestone. Liked his last name and it stuck in my mind for quite awhile. Then when I started going on the Internet and needed an alias for online,(AOL chatrooms. . .yeah, I'm an AOL Chatroom Survivor!) I thought back to Bluestone. 'Blue' however didn't work for me so I went through various colors red, yellow, black, white, etc. Then I got to the color gray and there it was. However just Graystone or Greystone was still too bland. Then I thought, why not use both vowels? First tried Greaystone but didn't like the letter order and switched to ae and that's how its been ever since. . .that and it looks cool.

• Like! 1

My forum name is my Xbox Live Gamertag (and general username across most forums I visit).

The Gamertag itself is the original concept name of Gears of War (as per the Official Xbox Magazine).

Edited by Unreal Warfare

My name has its roots from the Gargoyle TV series and the character Matt Bluestone. Liked his last name and it stuck in my mind for quite awhile. Then when I started going on the Internet and needed an alias for online,(AOL chatrooms. . .yeah, I'm an AOL Chatroom Survivor!) I thought back to Bluestone. 'Blue' however didn't work for me so I went through various colors red, yellow, black, white, etc. Then I got to the color gray and there it was. However just Graystone or Greystone was still too bland. Then I thought, why not use both vowels? First tried Greaystone but didn't like the letter order and switched to ae and that's how its been ever since. . .that and it looks cool.

Thats an awesome story Graeystone~

Thats an awesome story Graeystone~

I liked the read too. Suff like this makes me happy I don't get to a newspaper all that much anymore.

I kinda liked that series as well. I liked how they anthropomorphousized the groesque with noble actions, pleasing voices.

Beauty in what we do and how we're appreciated.

:)

gogo

Really, my forum name is one of those fairly common names you'll see. You see it in RPGs, you see it in hardware, etc, etc. Originally, however, it's named after Zeus' shield. This name, however, has been with me since, well... forever.

And now that I think about it, I should've used 'Dead Fat Boy' instead. >>;

Depending on the definition, the Aegis was either a shield forged, or a buckler. I'll simply wiki this and give you the description. :)

In Greek mythology

The aegis (Greek: Αιγίς), as stated in the Iliad, is the shield or buckler of Athena or of Zeus, which according to Homer was fashioned by Hephaestus. "...and among them went bright-eyed Athene, holding the precious aegis which is ageless and immortal: a hundred tassels of pure gold hang fluttering from it, tight-woven each of them, and each the worth of a hundred oxen."[1]

Virgil imagines the Cyclopes in Hephaestus' forge, who "busily burnished the aegis Athene wears in her angry moods--a fearsome thing with a surface of gold like scaly snake-skin, and he linked serpents and the Gorgon herself upon the goddess’ breast—a severed head rolling its eyes."[2] furnished with golden tassels and bearing the Gorgoneion (Medusa's head) in the central boss. Some of the Attic vase-painters retained an archaic tradition that the tassels had originally been serpents in their representations of the ægis. When the Olympian deities overtook the older deities of Greece and she was born of Metis (inside Zeus who had swallowed the goddess) and "re-born" through the head of Zeus fully clothed, Athena already wore her typical garments.

When the Olympian shakes the aegis, Mount Ida is wrapped in clouds, the thunder rolls and men are struck down with fear. "Aegis-bearing Zeus", as he is in the Iliad, sometimes lends the fearsome goatskin to Athena. In the Iliad when Zeus sends Apollo to revive the wounded Hector of Troy, Apollo, holding the aegis, charges the Achaeans, pushing them back to their ships drawn up on the shore. According to Edith Hamilton's Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes [3], the Aegis is Zeus' breastplate, and was "awful to behold."

Aegis: Could almost say I've yet to see an RPG where Aegis isn't used in some form. Or more accurately, Japanese RPG.

Gogo: No day is wasted when you learn something new. ^^ He also had a spear called Gungnir and those ravens, Muninn and Huginn. Learned those also from some Japanese stuff. They like to use some northern mythos every so often. Wasn't Sleipnir a horse though?

I know, honing the dot, but still. :P

Aegis: Could almost say I've yet to see an RPG where Aegis isn't used in some form. Or more accurately, Japanese RPG.

Gogo: No day is wasted when you learn something new. ^^ He also had a spear called Gungnir and those ravens, Muninn and Huginn. Learned those also from some Japanese stuff. They like to use some northern mythos every so often. Wasn't Sleipnir a horse though?

Sleipnir was Odin's steed, was the child of Loki and Svaðilfari, was described as the best of all horses, and was sometimes ridden to the location of Hel. The Prose Edda contains extended information regarding the circumstances of Sleipnir's birth, and details that he was gray in color. Sleipnir was also an eight-legged horse.

This was a fun thread to read. My name is in honor of my favorite character I created in Sacred 2. I wanted a build where I could hit you twice to your once and run down any enemy. The speed of the cobra (naga) strike. So I named him DM (Dragon Mage, sorry not Dark Matters) Naga.

Sleipnir was Odin's steed, was the child of Loki and Svaðilfari, was described as the best of all horses, and was sometimes ridden to the location of Hel. The Prose Edda contains extended information regarding the circumstances of Sleipnir's birth, and details that he was gray in color. Sleipnir was also an eight-legged horse.

When you also consider that Loki was the one who gave birth to Sleipner, nevermind that he turned into a horse, that is one screwed up relation. :P

I pretty much use Crackhutch for everything. It all started a long time ago while playing D2 online for the first time. I was trying to create a char name that was unique and funny...so I tried making Crackmonkey and it didn't fit in the box, so I bumped it down to Crackmonk. After a while of playing as Crackmonk, and being the n00b that I was, I got duped and lost my account and lost the name Crackmonk in the process...I decided to try to continue with something similar so I kept 'Crack' then added the first part of my last name/my nickname 'Hutch' and it stuck.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG this is beginning to read like an encyclopaedia (did I spell that right?) Chattius and Aegis - brilliant. Roman limes and the Scandinavian gods w-o-w-eeee.

Hey Gogo, I am beginning to think that all of Chattius' posts should be collected together somewhere where we can print them out for leisurely reading. He gives us some great info, but it is all over the place, and I am afraid of missing some of it. Serious suggestion.

Edited by Bondbug
  • 1 month later...

I'm wondering why I never let my story out...

anyways, my old forum name used to be maniac007 (which was my pc password at the time... month of July). But when the thread of "Google your forum name" came along, I had to change it, since that name was also tied to some schmuck in err... "adult" sites.

So I tried searching for names that did not return any results in google. Yeeeeaaars back I saw an episode of Animaniacs where one of 'em calls a dog "Old Screamer" - a spoof on Old Yeller but that line is still stuck in my head.

In fact, here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q_akwOavaI

But Screamer had google results, as did the Victorian idea of Screameth. So I got to Scleameth.

One of my early sigs had this guy in... a nice bit of sreaming:

Evangelion_Unit_01_by_cmark0.png

I thought I've already done this here, but then again I haven't been to these sacred halls in over a year. SO, why not...

Nihilanth is the name of the final boss in Valve's Hal-Life (FPS released in '98 for those that don't know). Being one of the most awesome FPS games I've ever played, I felt I needed something to hold onto from it. I thought to use the name Nihilanth (which I take from the latin, Nihil, to be the being of nothingness or something rather) as an online alias for forums or online games.

Well, before I really ever used it I kept saying it aloud to see how it sounded. It sounded weird to me so I played around with the letters and decided that the H and L (I know, awesome coincidence) should switch places to create Nilihanth.

Been usin it since 1998 and will always use it. :paladin:

...something that doesn't exist and then using that void by filling it in.

Kinda reminds me of what I can say about a hangover... fortunately I've been hangover-less for about 4 years now - I get really sick from alcohol which is not really a bad thing at all! I can drink one beer and that's about it, after that I start feeling woozy and just wanna go home and sleep!

• 1 month later...

Claudius was the name of my first advanced dungeons and dragons character. The first addition by Gary Gygax. I was a halfling thief. I had a high consitution for poisons and a high dexterity. My sword had an illusion that it appeared an old rusty blade but was really a +3 shortsword which is quite good. I had a bag of holding and a ring of spellstoring with 4 second level spells that I always chose invisibility.