I wondered a bit about the names people use in this and other forums.

I remember from the Official Forum that a lot of names came from Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings. Others are simply names written backwards.

So what is the story behind your DM name? Do you use different names in different forums?

My own "Bondbug" is fairly obvious from the car on the avatar and sig. It was my first 'new' car. Before that I had a line of superb "crocks" from the 30's, that I loved but could not really afford to keep in top nick.

My first was a 1931 Morris Minor, 2 seater with hood. Used to take home a total of 8, with the hood down, after jazz club evenings. First love, till it fell to bits.

Then a big 8 seater Armstrong Siddeley, an old hire car with sliding window between the front seats and the rear, folding down bench seat and tasseled blinds to the rear side windows, which were discretely lowered when the baby was being fed during cricket matches.

There was a 1930 Rolls 2 seater which had been used as a farm tractor. My wife held down the front corner of the hood which tended to lift, with her left hand. The right hand kept the door shut. 8mpg that car.

The Bond Bug was the last of these cars. BondBug.jpg

700cc. Three wheeler. Two seater. Fixed seats. Too small for a 6footer - I drove it with the steering wheel between my knees using the edge of my shoes on the pedals (no, it wasn't a kid's car, it did have an engine). Nothing special for top speed despite its shape. Economic on fuel. It developped starting problems when it was heated. Starting for return journeys could be a problem. Park on a slight down slope or on the flat. It had, as you can perhaps see, no side door but a lid hinged somewhere about the driver's knees. You lifted it to get in. For tricky starting days you propped up the lid with a pole, ran alongside it to get up speed, leapt in and whammed it into gear. Just like a motorbike.

We toured France in it once. Me, Viv, 2yr old, camping equipment, the lot. Overloaded but we made it. The French could not believe their eyes. We used to park up in a square, do our shopping and have to fight our way through a three deep crowd to get back to the car. I learnt to deliver a basic spec. in French. But eventually spares got too difficult and the resin body started to deteriorate.

Like a mouse alongside those beasts of Chattius'. Overtaking big artics in wet weather was like driving blind till you got through the spray.

Motoring doesn't seem to be the fun it once was - probably a good job given the density of traffic in most countries.

Other forums - different names. Usually place names or past pets.

Well...when I made my online account for the orginal sacred I was reading a book at the time...And that book was called Brother of the Dragon. Then, when I bought Sacred 2 and ended up making an account here the maximum letters to you name wouldnt allow that...so I shortened it to Dragon Brother. I do however wish that I picked something a tad more normal and less spur of the moment-ish.

I gogoblender!

I made it up...I used to hang out a few years back in another chat forum... and me being weird ( of course!) would show up everyday as a different kitchen implement.

gogoblender was the creation of the day I think, and it just stick. awwww, bond...yer story is so touching :girl_sigh: Ash, that's cool too about yer nic...got a link to the book?

Ah, wait...it's not that long long LONG series of books called the Wheel of Spam?

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:eeee:

gogo

Gogo, those "Wheel of spam you say is actually wheel of time and it are really good books :girl_sigh:

My nick comes from the time that I needed a name for some character in some game (don't even know what game anymore), then used a random generator to get a name, and this one stood out in the options...

Before that I used "Lanzadonier" from a Dutch version of the Earth's Children, where it was a clan name :yay:. I use Arperum everywhere now.

I'll even react in real life to "Arp" >_< wich is a pain if you have a lesson about ARP-tables...

No, its not from the wheel of time, awesome books though they are. Its actually from a dragonlance series here.

I *think* I read these too :D, not sure anymore :P should reread them then :P

Edited by Arperum

Well. What's in a name?

Hmmm. The highest compliment I was paid at university (long before the Tolkein blockbuster movies) was that I was elvish.

I live in a very cold part of the world. So. Frost Elf Guard isn't a far stretch. I'm not a leader, but I'm not a follower either. I fight some battles, but I'm not in every one of them.

So. There you go.

I came up with the name for the Sacred Official Forum a looong time ago. Much to my chagrin, the Frost Elf in Sacred 2 is a girl. :P

KOTR = Knight of the Rose. That was my forum name at SiF, but it was getting to be a pain to type out -- so I shortened to KOTR :P Everyone still just calls me "knight" tho, so that works too :D

KOTR comes from several sources. The first is from the English civil war -- the War of the Roses. All knights and nobles where affiliated with either the White Rose of York or the Red Rose of Lancaster.

Later on I read a series called "Dragon Lance" That also had an order called "Knights of the Rose", so that was pretty cool.

Then I started getting into Shakespeare, and I ran across a really interesting quote in Romeo and Juliet, Act 2 scene ii.

Lastly I became heavily in an MMORPG called "Rush on Seven Episodes". Appropriately nicknamed "ROSE".

So it all ties together. Roses and Knights are powerful symbols :P

Edited by KOTR

Kotr ->prounced Kotter

Yeah...that's John Travola before he became all powerful and evil

:P

gogo

p.s. broke my heart when you changed yer name though KOTR... Knight of the Rose had SO much gravitas :D

p.s. broke my heart when you changed yer name though KOTR... Knight of the Rose had SO much gravitas :P

You know, after 5 1/2 years, it may be time to change it back. I have to admit, the bare initials are getting a bit stale.

I also miss my old avatar too:

kittens640x480a.jpg

p.s. broke my heart when you changed yer name though KOTR... Knight of the Rose had SO much gravitas :P

You know, after 5 1/2 years, it may be time to change it back. I have to admit, the bare initials are getting a bit stale.

I also miss my old avatar too:

kittens640x480a.jpg

The avatar was the heart, combined with the strength of your posts...an unbeatable combination, a wonderful humility

As well...there is automatic gravitas in the word knight...the shortening of Knight of the Rose only makes it stronger.

Neat, eh?

:D

gogo

The avatar was the heart, combined with the strength of your posts...an unbeatable combination, a wonderful humility

As well...there is automatic gravitas in the word knight...the shortening of Knight of the Rose only makes it stronger.

Neat, eh?

:)

gogo

Yeah, it is neat. I see where you are going with it, and I like it :)

My forum and game name comes from a variation of my own name...Kirk.

The origins are that I worked with a good group of fellas and people would call and ask for Krick. My co-workers were like, "who the hell names their kid Krick?" It was at least once a month that someone had my name wrong in this manner. I decided to use Krik as my ingame/forum name but it was usually taken. I changed the k to a v (my last name starts with V) and there it is....Kriv.

I add a V if Kriv is taken...krivv.

Edited by kriv

I once used Silearth on every site until I started just using hlmichel. Silearth was the name of a demon in a story I was working on. Wasn't until much later that I learned that it had another meaning.

and people would call and ask for Krick. "

That sounds so Scottish. I have to say "Frith of Froth" to get the right sound for Firth of Forth.

@Silearth "Wasn't until much later that I learned that it had another meaning." You are not really going to leave it there are you? Perhaps I shouldn't ask ... I am probably the only one who doesn't understand ... iggorant old geezer.

Edited by Bondbug

My game name came about because my wife was making fun of my love of hack'n'slash rpg's. :)

She asked me who I thought I was, Conan the Barbarian? Then said that I looked more like a 'Podgie Bear-barian'. :)

So I started using Podgie the Bearbarian out of stubborn pride, which eventually got shortened to Podgie Bear. :bow: