Key Largo Bar

Guest gogoblender

Boy, I'm so sorry to hear about Wiki. What a bummer. I'll never get my head around why they do that. *sigh*

On a different note :-

"YAY" !!! I just watched Andy Murray win Wimbledon...............thank goodness. :bounce:

• Like! 1

Boy, I'm so sorry to hear about Wiki. What a bummer. I'll never get my head around why they do that. *sigh*

On a different note :-

"YAY" !! I just watched Andy Murray win Wimbledon...............thank goodness. :bounce:

Yeah.. I don't really have any idea why either. It's not like the Sacred Wiki is/was anything more than an innocent web site for a game. It wasn't doing anyone any harm, or got in anybody's way. It's not like it had much in the way of competition either. There is that Italian Sacred Wiki - but it didn't have all that much in the way of info last time I looked...

Most hacking these days along the lines of what these &$!%#(s are doing is more for profit than fun - there usually is a financial incentive. Sure, you can get bragging rights for taking down website X - but in the long run, all the bragging rights in the world doesn't do much to put food on the table. The Skript Kiddies of the 90s have grown up and have been forced to move from mom and dad's basement.

So.. Tis a mystery as to whodunit or why it happened.

Wow !

England just beat Australia by 14 runs !! Gotta be one of the closest ashes matches ever.

Really wish I had Sky sports. I remember the good old days when we could watch it on BBC.................for nothing.

*shakes fist at Sky* !

I think the next 4 tests are going to be very exciting indeed. The Aussies sure have found a gem in Aggar. Thank goodness we still have Jimmy Anderson.

PHEW !!

• 3 weeks later...

We've just hired a bevy of elves to help us out with the restructuring of wiki

These elves are very hungry and keep asking for raises, but are proving to be dilligent l'il things

Anyone got an extra whip?

:whip:

gogo

Wouldn't Ari' have some lying around?

Life has been crazy the past few months, pass me a brew :)

• Like! 1

Wiki's been brought back to life, yay schot!

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/21211-reviving-sacredwiki-looking-for-help/

And, DarkMatters has a renewed vigor, people are seeing all their work back online, and community is feeling good. It's like this game is so huge, we wonder whether the wiki'll ever be finished!

:lol:

gogo

bravo chattius

I'll second that day of the cat, and perhaps set up a small saucer of milk while we finish off the two last beers from my mothers visit as well!

:)

gogo

Last week wednesday I went for an interview at a small/boutique Hotel in Franschhoek(30km from Stellenbosch) called La Residence, and met the head chef, and the HR manager, talked, got shown around the kitchen, answered questions and asked questions. Got a call from the recruiter about 20min later saying that they loved me and want me to go for a cook off on Thursday. YAYNESS. the Menu that I have planned is as follows

Freshly baked bread rolls

Starters:

Smoked Salmon Mille-Feuille, lemon and ginger mayo, cucmber, creme fraiche

Main course:

Beef fillet, red wine sauce, potato fondant, 3 ways of carrots

Dessert:

Guavas, sorbet, white chocolate mousse, shortbread, cinnamon, creme patisserie.

the position is for Pastry Chef/Junior-sous Chef and the company has 2 other Hotels/resorts in South Africa and they are planning another 3 to open in the next 5 years.

here is a link to their site http://www.laresidence.co.za/ I'm excited about going for the cook off, but will be sad leaving my friends at Delaire Graff...

Delta!

• Like! 1

Congratulations Delta!!

I can't believe all the success you're having with your career. I remembe just a wee while back, when you were starting to post here on FDM, and chatting it up about food. Of course I instantly fell in love with your posts, and it was easy to see that you, behind them, was on road to great achievements.

Well done on the cullinary climb my friend, and again congratulations!

gogo

Thank you gogo. I still have to pass the cook off. The feel of La Residence is completely different to Delaire Graff. I'm used to doing lunch and dinner at the moment, there, they do breakfast buffet(even serve it till late afternoon if a guest wants it...) Lunch and dinner, and the menu changes for every meal time(that is a new thing for me). I have done breakfasts before at some of the hotels where I did training. The kitchen is also a lot smaller, and I will be required to work on all the sections, not just pastry. but I'm still excited about the chance to work there and I will probably post more food pictures in good food we serve at the restaurant. The estate is beautiful, and they produce a lot of produce themselves and use it in the kitchen.

Delta!

Edited by Delta!
  • Like! 1

Smaller kitchens can be quite the challenge, however, I'm looking forward to your promise of food posts, you and have met when the foodie in me kinda got released, and I'm your fan.

gogo

• Like! 1

The cook off went well. I made the 3course meal for the Head chef, the general manager, deputy manager, and the food and beverage manager. They had lots of compliments and said everything was wonderful. I was a little bit nervous about the main course since I have never cooked meat in a restaurant before, but they said that the main course was the best and had no complaints there, it was well seasoned, very well cooked, plated well, and well thought out.

the only change I had to make was to change the dessert, they did not have any guavas, so I changed that to strawberries, macerated with stock syrup, vanilla and mint, white choc and strawberry mousse, strawberry and whipped cream sorbet, strawberry puree, and I changed the creme pat to vanilla flavoured.

And I don't want to count my chicken before they hatch, but I think the job is mine... now I'll have to say goodbye to my friends/family at Delaire.

Delta!

• Like! 1

I'm crossing my fingers for you, though I think it's very obvious that you're intent, committed, curious, and furious about food. I've never met you in real life, but I love to think that from posts of years with you here, you have good work ethic.

They can smell your talent and want you, they even thought what you thought was your worst to be your best, lol, they must be intrigued as to what you can create!

gogo

I have the job at La Residence.
Got a call from the agent in the morning, and he said he can't tell me anything yet, and that there was someone else there for an interview today... I forgot my recipe book there yesterday, I was soooo lost without it, and I went to fetch it today, the General manager was in the lobby and when I entered he greeted me in a very friendly manner and asked me if I'm there to celebrate :unsure: ... Uhm no why? Had a quick chat with him in the lobby and then went to the kitchen to fetch my book. The chef greeted me in much the same manner and said I'm a bit early to start working but he likes my enthusiasm. I was still a bit confused, and asked him why, he asked if I have spoken to Gavin(the agent) yet? "Yes early today, but he just said that there is someone else for a cook off today and that he will let me know as soon as possible". But any way. I got it. Looking forward, and excited about starting out with the new company where I will have a chance to grow.

Delta!

Edited by Delta!
  • Like! 1

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you, the way you've been writing, I feel like I got the job myself! :hugs:

Good job Theuns, I know Ill be seeing YOU telling Chef Ramsay how to cook an egg!

:4rofl:

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Congrats Delta! :) I hope you will love the job as much as you do now forever!

*grabs a bottle of Jäger from the fridge*

Update on my side of town: extremely busy with our new appartment, very exciting! We're moving to a different city, however, so it's a lot of travelling back and forth this month. We hope to move in somewhere around the first of October, I'll show up here with the pics ;)

Hola Timo

I appreciate the good taste, yumba with the jager, that's the one with the gold dust?

I'm a huge fan of being close to my life targets, can't stand being in vehicles too long, get bored, and just love being only 15 minutes from work, Here's to hopes on you guys having a great move-in... I wanna see some Euro-apartmen pix, oooh ikea, yeah/

:D

gogo

No gold dust for me please :) I meant Jägermeister

ce95c7a908463e01d85a82d2184b7cc1.jpg

We're actually moving because of the new job of my gf :) for me, the move doesn't mean much in terms of commuting, the distance is a little longer but not much. Since my current route is having roadworks done for about 12months now (they're adding a third lane, both ways) the commute will still even out at about 45mins. But Tammy currently has to travel 4-5 hours each day by public transport, which is just too much.

Edited by Timotheus
  • Like! 1

No gold dust for me please :) I meant Jägermeister

ce95c7a908463e01d85a82d2184b7cc1.jpg

We're actually moving because of the new job of my gf :) for me, the move doesn't mean much in terms of commuting, the distance is a little longer but not much. Since my current route is having roadworks done for about 12months now (they're adding a third lane, both ways) the commute will still even out at about 45mins. But Tammy currently has to travel 4-5 hours each day by public transport, which is just too much.

Good Grief! 4-5 hours just to work...? rather shoot me! I live 15-20min away currently, but have to have my own transport, the new job is a bit further away, I will drive past Delaire Graff everyday, and I'll see if it gets too hectic for me, maybe I'll move to Franschoek. Rent there is the same as in Stellenbosch, but I'll be saving on Diesel...

Good Luck and thanx for all the well wishes! (that is the reason I LOVE DarkMatters, :heart: the community gets excited along with everyone about good news :yay::thumpsup::drinks::friends3::resp::thumbsup::D:hugs: )

Delta!

• Like! 1

Well 5 is wcs. She needs half an hour by bus to catch the train, 2 trains to get to the station in the town she works in, and then she needs to cycle to her office. This is all perfect scenario, because there is little time between stops. The way back is worse, because the trains and bus departures don't connect that well...

The irony is we currently live 1 min away from our previous temp job at the supermarket... :P

• Like! 1