Sheffield flooded, 100 flood warnings for Yorkshire :(

I don't know if you guys know but Sheffield and South Yorkshire (and lots of the rest of England) was flooding extremely badly yesterday/last night and this morning. We have bridges collapsing, people being air lifted and every else you can imagine. No power to lots of the city, I got to school at 3pm yesterday and I have only just got back across the city. We made it from school to my Mom's house where an area 3 mins away was being evacuated (where my sister and nephew live) and hunkered down there for the night with no power and more rain and high winds. They still have no power but we are all now over at my house with power. Fingers crossed the power stays on over here, living atop a huge hill helps and the road to here was finally passable earlier today. The city is pretty devastated and the whole region of Yorkshire is really suffering.

Tim, I drove over your area on my way home earlier and on a hunt for petrol, it seemed ok there but I hope you are ok and you didn't get stuck in the city yesterday. Keep safe and warm there TimofDoom! :4rofl:

Time to make lunch now for my houseful...and hope to actually feel like my bones are warm at som,e point LOL I have never been so wet and cold!

We have 150 flood warnings in place now over the uk, 100 of them are for Yorkshire *cries* A dam is looking like it will burst soon and the areas around have been evacuated. It's pretty scary and sad to see so much devastation. We saw my son's best mate trapped in his house with his Dad waiting to be boated out and the frustration for everyone there and the sense of despair is overwhelming. It was so frightening and their homes are totally wrecked :) We were at one side of the road which became a river and they were at the otherside with up to 5 feet of water from the burst river Don flowing hellishly fast through their house and road. The river has subsided there now and they are trying to begin a clean up. Thankfully they are all ok, or as much as they can be after all that :evil:

You can log onto here and punch in Sheffield to see the mess here and around the uk :oooo:

Please keep your fingers crossed the rain stays away!

Catch you all later. :D

Here are some pictures of yesterdays flooding and some from last week.

The Floods in pictures.

Oh my I'm glad you are all safe and together, that's what matter right? :4rofl:

I do hope you will maintain your power. And you be safe too Doom! :D

Oh Claire, I hope everything is ok, Sydney is experiencing the same kind of weather, though it has eased up a little this week. I posted a link to how the floods and rains affected us last week, so know exactly how damaging it can be. Keep safe and keep dry.

ahh Thanks everyone :drinks: It's sooo good to finally have power and to have been able to get home. My pooch ofc was here all night alone whilst we were cut off at the other side of the city, seems he dragged a pillow down and snoozed all night.

Here's some more pics from the floods....jeez it was pretty scary! It's stopped raining today but it's very dark and more apparently is expected ugh :S

Sheffield

Tim, I drove over your area on my way home earlier and on a hunt for petrol, it seemed ok there but I hope you are ok and you didn't get stuck in the city yesterday. Keep safe and warm there TimofDoom! :drinks:

Yeah don't worry about me, I'm on a hill in a well built old house, I was more worried abotu you, glad to hear you're ok! :drinks:

My uncle phoned to check we were ok!

It's like hell and water have been released on Sheffield..

:drinks:

~Tim

P.S. A dam may burst!? Which help help abandon!! :cha (18):

P.P.S. It's soldiers and sandbags here right now!

Ahhh, I"M glad you guys are so safe!. Claire, I knew it...My spidey senses were tingling! SEe...I'm psychic!

Choppers, sirens, fast cars, heavy rain...sounds like something out of a horror/action movie. I'm glad you guys are good, a little bedraggled for wear, but still back here and safe.

gogo

Tim it's the Ulley Dam bordering Rotherham/Sheffield, they have evacuated the outlaying villages and the M1 is closed off since cracks in the wall appeared :drinks:

Glad you are ok Tim you are nicely high up there like me now at home atop of the hill :cha (18):...getting to it though was the problem hence being trapped over at Hillsborough/Wadsley all night. It was insane over that way the Don burst through the bottom of Winn Gardens and devastated the place. I was rather disgusted that they kept my kids school open the entire school day :S. (They go to Hillsborough so once I was over there I couldn't get back) Penistone Road became like a tributary of the Don. The Sheffield Star has some incredibly scary pictures of Sheffield and other areas in Yorkshire.

My other sister is pinned down in Penistone, so far last I heard around lunchtime today there was no way in or out of there... she's keeping dry and staying indoors!

Thanks gogo your Spidey senses certainly were working overtime and spot on too. :drinks:

Ahh it's good to be dry, warm and smelling food cooking on the stove :drinks:

Ahhh your poor school hope the water flows away from it Tim :S...Thanks for the update on the Ulley wow that would have made a hell of a mess there. I hear the Neepsend subpower station is still under around 6 foot of water following a huge explosion last night, hence anywhere past the Hillsborrough TramGates out toward Wadsley way has no power. Tim, if you get any news before me it would be cool if you could post it here. Is your school still closed tomorrow?

So glad you are safe there Tim :drinks:

Ahhh your poor school hope the water flows away from it Tim :S...Thanks for the update on the Ulley wow that would have made a hell of a mess there. I hear the Neepsend subpower station is still under around 6 foot of water following a huge explosion last night, hence anywhere past the Hillsborrough TramGates out toward Wadsley way has no power. Tim, if you get any news before me it would be cool if you could post it here. Is your school still closed tomorrow?

So glad you are safe there Tim :drinks:

My shcool ain't shut :drinks:

An explosion?! :cha (18):

What when where how!?

~Tim

There was an explosion actually at the substation at Neepsend or so the news said....and the Ulley...hehe if it does go it'll knock out all the power to most of Sheffield...hope they keep pumping it away and plugging those cracks :S

Gotta Love News 24!

Like a nightmare. And to think people are dropping dead in E.Europe from a heatwave.

Keep us in touch. God bless.

I am so happy that the two of you are fine as well as your families.

And lets hold our fingers crossed for everything to turn all right be it rain heat what ever just the weather to get back to normal. :drinks:

I just noticed this, Wow, I feel bad for the people that live tehre, wish I could do something.. how idealistic that may sound... Glad to hear you are allright, I just sent you a PM without nowing you live in england... Silly me, apoligies for that.

let's hope all the damage and inured stay low...

I'll pray for the best tonight :drinks:

Good luck!

-

Jasper :drinks:

The clearing up is going to be horrific. I saw this air shot of Catcliffe village . Thank heaven you are both on high enough ground to have escaped the worst of this.

I have just seen the lists of schools closed and of shelter centres for the homeless, and some aerial video here

In 'Look North' panel at lower right

I had not realised it was so widespread. That will stretch resources, but they seem to have been remarkably quick off the mark.

Edited by Bondbug

Yeah you are right Bond the clean up is the hardest part I guess after the floods. There is speculation that Catcliffe is being flooded so hard due the pumping off of the Ulley Dam, they are still pumping water out of the dam although the water level in Catcliffe is slowly slowly receeding, if ofc the Ulley does burst it walls in will be catastrophic :S...fingers crossed that doesn't happen. 15 mins and it will hit one of power stations which supplies most of Sheffield never mind the villages that they evacuated and a huge sewage works it will run over :s....ewww

I had to travel across the city this morning and it's amazing how much of the clean up has begun already and how well the services are being restored across the city. Several places have been without power since monday but they are working really hard to get it all up and running.

I was astonished looking at the coverage myself of just how hard Yorkshire has been hit. Just got to keep smiling and hope the sun stays out :)

OMG! I didn't watch the news yesterday!

Very good you two are OK.

Here (Bulgaria), the weather is the opposite. Recordly hight temperatures for this part of the summer are taken almost everywhere in the country. The Red Cross is setting help spots in the main cities. They said on the news that Romania is on second to high level alert because of the heat. We can't complain to you though. It is still "livable" around.

-dn

wow DickNail, that heat can be just as bad I imagine...water shortages etc. Hope you can manage to keep in the shade and the heat cools off a bit for you. *goes off to check on the world news*

Here's hoping it all gets back to something more normal for you soon DickNail. How are you coping with the heat?

I personally am pretty temperature resisting, and I don't have problems with it. (I only sweat, but that's a problem of the other ppl :PP) And we have AC in the office, so during the hottest hours I'm safe. Sofia is near a few mountains so cold water in not a problem for the moment. But most of the work places still don't have AC, and it is almost impossible to work there. In the second biggest city, Plovdiv, they made even aa afternoon siesta.

It is a bigger problem for the old ppl and the people with heart problems and high blood pressure.

Yes, you have deaths in both places. Bulgaria recalls Paris a few years back when a thousand or so died in Paris during the 'canicule'. But much of that was a lack of family awareness and support. I doubt if you would get that in Bulgaria.

But the clearance after a flood is difficult to imagine. Mud and rubbish everywhere, everything stained, furniture and decoration ruined vehicles smashed. And people have to do much of the cleaning up themselves. Incredibly depressing. Heart breaking. It must have happened so quickly. And that situation with the dam still sounds terrifying. Can the cracking be repaired to make it really safe again?

Edited by Bondbug