What do you use: View New Posts, or Today's Active Topics

I'm always interested in the way that peeps find stuff on busy forums. In our case, there are two ways of finding the latest threads. The link at the top which is View New Posts, and the link at the bottom which is Today's Active Topics.

Would you mind telling us which of the functionalities you use and why? And/ or is there other way you use here? Like going into your favorite forum and going down through the threads one by one...do folks do that?

Thanks

:P

gogo

Actually I just started to use those functions of the forum. What I used to do was just browse along and if I found an interesting topic or if its been one I have either started or posted in I went to those first then hit the others.

I use the new posts as I visit briefly several times a day at work so this way I dont miss anything that was posted while I was off doing ucky work ... when there isnt anything new I roam the older stuff in a meandering kinda way :-)

I use view new post, then do a small subforums search on in case that leaves anything out. Or some posts that I missed earlier. :P

Y? I usually check the forum twice, one lightly and one more in depth. So today's active topics don't work well with me. :)

I always use view new posts. After that depending on time and mood I might browse manually through the forum in search of interesting topics I didn't post in.

That's all there is to it. :P

p.s. occasionally I'm pestered by a certain someone to read/post in certain threads which adds to my forum browsing routine. *pokes certain someone*

Edited by Indy13

I use the "Today's active topics" link. I never even noticed the "View New Posts" link until I read your post Gogo. :P Maybe I'll start using that one.

Hmm well it depends on time :) If I have time, Ill just wander and see whats new or old that I haven't commented on yet. Otherwise, I use the Today's Active Topics linky :D

I use both features. Usually I do View new posts when I have alot of time, and Today's active topics when I just have a little while to be on the forum. Sometimes I check my favorite topics first, then I move onto the less interesting ones. Overall, I use Today's active topics more because it seems easier and I usually am short on time! :P

I use "View new posts" since there has already so many been written that I can not and will not try to oversee all of it. Like this I can follow the progress of the forum from the time on I registered and give my 2 cents. And to be honest, I never new there was something like "active posts" and I still don't know what this does.

From time to time I also roam through the board. Pretty much like all the others here.

When you brought the new board up, Schot had mentioned that "Todays Active Topics" behaved like the old ne posts did and recommended it. I tried it and I like the way it works. Shows new posts first, but also whats going on today in the older ones too. A very nice compendium.

Todays Active is a winner for me.

Like going into your favorite forum and going down through the threads one by one...do folks do that?

Thanks

:)

gogo

Actually Gogo, I do that. The other forums I'm a member of does not clear the new post visual for each new post if you check them by using the active topic button(s). I guess I just got in the habit of checking one by one from that. If the new posts button works here then maybe I will use it... I'm just a type A person that likes everything to be perfect. If there is a new post visual I have to read the topic to make sure it isn't there anymore!

Well

lol, this thread got big on me without me remembering to check on it. I remember two forums ago at an old darkmatters forum, schot had replaced the functionality for View New Posts with Today's Active Topics. Do you guys think that the functionality of Today's active topics is more useful? Does it bring up more "hot" places to go? I only remember that we had believed at the time that Today's Active Topics was more "better" at picking up everything that was "hot" here on the site. I'm always concerned about how people are finding their topics here and am always worried that they'll miss something that they may have found was important.

This thread, judging by a few of the posters on it, seems to have pointed out to the functionalities of those two buttons here which I was worried that some of our newer (and it seems older :) @ Toret) forum members may have not seen and/ or thought to use.

Also...depending on what you guys think is more useful, we can easily change the functionalities again.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post on this, it means a lot and helps us get the site in order for everyone using it.

Cheers

:D

gogo

• 6 months later...

Everyone still using View New Posts ?

^^

lol, just bumping this thread to see how you guys are finding stuff here on the boards since we're a bit busier these days than usual, and if anyone's having problems.

:lol:

gogo