The Related Word Game - 2017!

steak -> Sauerbraten

A steak is grasland food. Sauerbraten is woodland. Caddle and horses were mainly used as working animals, so they weren't slaughtered once trained. If they were injured or too old their meat was not soft anymore. So it had to be marinated with a sour mix for nearly two weeks before it could be roasted.

Often a special gingerbread is mixed into to sauce to counter the taste a bit.

Me is obviously a woodland boy. I do my own fruitwine for the marinade, my wife is doing her old family gingerbread. She made her own clay pot for Sauerbraten.

No chief cook will do Sauerbraten as good in his restaurant as I do at home. Perhaps at his home, but in a restaurant law demands the marinating has to be done in a fridge, in steel pots... But the bacteria won't do their best best work this cold. Fruits acids in steel pots for weeks? laws allow only 3 days.

Work in a clean environment, be careful, use stoneware pots with a fermentation valve, and you can do 2 weeks marinading at around 14-16C in the cellar.

Steak is fastfood, Sauerbraten is art ;)

Badischer-Sauerbraten.jpg

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, chattius said:

steak -> Sauerbraten

A steak is grasland food. Sauerbraten is woodland. Caddle and horses were mainly used as working animals, so they weren't slaughtered once trained. If they were injured or too old their meat was not soft anymore. So it had to be marinated with a sour mix for nearly two weeks before it could be roasted.

Often a special gingerbread is mixed into to sauce to counter the taste a bit.

Me is obviously a woodland boy. I do my own fruitwine for the marinade, my wife is doing her old family gingerbread. She made her own clay pot for Sauerbraten.

No chief cook will do Sauerbraten as good in his restaurant as I do at home. Perhaps at his home, but in a restaurant law demands the marinating has to be done in a fridge, in steel pots... But the bacteria won't do their best best work this cold. Fruits acids in steel pots for weeks? laws allow only 3 days.

Work in a clean environment, be careful, use stoneware pots with a fermentation valve, and you can do 2 weeks marinading at around 14-16C in the cellar.

Steak is fastfood, Sauerbraten is art ;)

Badischer-Sauerbraten.jpg

Sauerbraten -> poutine

art!

:viking:

gogo

poutine -> poutingo

My guess is that the name poutine is from the provenceal french poutingo which is making a sort of stew from leftovers. Probably a restaurant had leftover frites, cheese and sauce when a guest late night wanted something to eat. The chef was creative and asked if he wants a poutine and served the rests. If people would have thrown tomatoes at the chef the next day poutine would have included stone floor ketchup:tomato:

Kartoffel mit Quark (softcheese) is really old here. I remember the days when I started to remember, probably 3 years old, when the potato harvest was done people used to do all the not underground parts of potato plants on a big heap. Once dried it was burned and potatoes found when making the heap were roasted in the fire. Grandma had a pot with Quark with vegs. Mom cut the potato in halves and filled them with the Quark. Best food ever.

ofenkartoffel.jpg

Then at farmer's festivals a potato boiler to make storable barrels with mashed potatoes  as pig food was creativly used to make big amounts of potato in skin. Cut in halves, filled with quark, people stood in queues for them.

65231524_Kartoffelnquark.thumb.jpg.50043aec4c4cb643adce91c96bf5a0ac.jpg

Now at home we do mainly Fächerkartoffel (fan potato) in the oven and fill them with Quark.

Gew%C3%BCrzkuchen-mit-Zwetschgenmusf%C3%

• Respect! 1
On 10/27/2021 at 3:15 AM, chattius said:

poutine -> poutingo

My guess is that the name poutine is from the provenceal french poutingo which is making a sort of stew from leftovers. Probably a restaurant had leftover frites, cheese and sauce when a guest late night wanted something to eat. The chef was creative and asked if he wants a poutine and served the rests. If people would have thrown tomatoes at the chef the next day poutine would have included stone floor ketchup:tomato:

ahahahha.. i actually think thats the legend chattius.. a farmer at a stall just mixed them all together.. and.. voila.. national dish!

lol floor ketchup.. 

ewwwwwwwww!

poutingo -> mcdonalds

food to go!

:D

gogo

McDonalds -> Parents

Sadly they do their buildings mainly near gathering points of school children, central bus stops, railway stations. So to be no outsider other kids have to go their too. 5€ in average per kid and schoolday this adds up. So if parents do 100€ pocket money all is for McD:)

I had an agreement with a Turkish restaurant that my kids can do their homeworks there in the 90 minutes till one of the rare public bus's  to our village show up. Was a lot cheaper and real lunch. I paid all once per month.

• Like! 1
3 hours ago, chattius said:

McDonalds -> Parents

Sadly they do their buildings mainly near gathering points of school children, central bus stops, railway stations. So to be no outsider other kids have to go their too. 5€ in average per kid and schoolday this adds up. So if parents do 100€ pocket money all is for McD:)

I had an agreement with a Turkish restaurant that my kids can do their homeworks there in the 90 minutes till one of the rare public bus's  to our village show up. Was a lot cheaper and real lunch. I paid all once per month.

Good negotiations.  And at a delicious resto to boot!  I remember the arrangements the parents had to make for me  and my brother every day while in early school... no internet in those days, you had to find connections by going up to other parents and chatting them at the PTA meetings  :lol: 

Parents -> hard work

:dragonbrother:

gogo

meaningful -> tree

If I knew that tomorrow was the end of the world, I would plant an apple tree today!

It is said to be from Martin Luther, but oldest written documents are from end of WW2. But it makes sense, chopping a tree takes a minute, growing 20+ years. So people planting a tree do not know who will harvest the fruits. But if nobody plants new trees, nobody will have fruits.

morals -> David

David versus Goliath.

Goliath followed the duell rules of the time, only melee weapons. David cheated. Guess who is the hero after some milleniums. How unfair David!

6cd874fef0578f0490d7f5c5d70bfb03DSC00838

• Haha 1

apple -> horses

My grand-aunt was breeding cold-blood horses. In the late 80-ties no-one needed or wanted them anymore (now they have a renaissance). So she earned her money mainly with selling dried horse-apples to gardeners. Her most famous quote when nearly loosing her farm: 'I am the Hessian Bill Gates. We both are lucky to earn our money with s-h-I-t'

My cousine changed the farm to a horse hotel. Rich kids from Frankfurt and surroundings have no room for a horse so she looks afterthe horses when the kids are not there.

MS Office was charged for 1000$ for the english version. The german version was at 1500$. The german version crashed when using ä,ö,ü, or ß. MS support said we know it, but changing would be too expensive. So a useless Office because street is Straße in german and it crashed whenever typing an adress,

• Like! 1

Horsepower -> Leistungsgewicht

In english it are four words: power to weight ratio. My first car: 1500 pounds and 130 horsepower. Was so much fun I sold it when at army and then I saw it again and asked if I could buy it back after all these years - only to notice that my wife thought that I bought it for her vintage sport rallyes.

Good old NSU TTS, wife did a battle with a Jaguar E-Type on the Nürburgring and was only slightly behind. The Jag has more power and better aerodynamics, so he is way faster on the streets and downhill, but uphill it is opposite. The TTS can brake way later and can do curves more on the inside, rear engine and front driven.

Not bad for a 4 seat family car.

nsu-tt-d2444d58-7bfe-4961-878d-33a86c526

• Like! 1

disk drive -> 'Winchester'

My old hungarian math professor named hard drives 'WInchester'. He grew up with the IBM 3340 drives code named 'Winchester'.

In 1973, IBM introduced the IBM 3340 "Winchester" disk drive and the 3348 data module, the first significant commercial use of low mass and low load heads with lubricated platters and the last IBM disk drive with removable media. This technology and its derivatives remained the standard through 2011. Project head Kenneth Haughton named it after the Winchester 30-30 rifle because it was planned to have two 30 MB spindles; however, the actual product shipped with two spindles for data modules of either 35 MB or 70 MB.[13] The name 'Winchester' and some derivatives are still common in some non-English speaking countries to generally refer to any hard disks (e.g. Hungary, Russia).

mXkfdToSwHy8dQPpqj9FbqfEGkjRqgfsEt3MApEu

from

https://steemit.com/life/@jomeszaros/whyhard-disks-arewere-called-winchester-1548612138294

• Like! 1