Food Habits, eating no-no's?

Zyther

What pet peeves about food do you have?

I eat things 1 at a time, I like to enjoy my flavors :P for example

I'll eat my burger, then my fries, then my drink.

I usually change the order, but you get the idea :). :D

Sure, I can mix every now and then but I tend to eat 1 thing at a time and drink tends to be last.

I double dip, only if I'm eating alone, if I cant double dip, I'll just overdip so my next bite will have sauce.

I also hardly ever cut my food, I take large bites and eat fast... :D also.. being really impatient also counts to this :P

I don't really know anyone who eats faster then me out of my friends :(

Whats your take on eating?

Do you eat in a way thats not considered "Normal"?

Do you drink your drinks last?

Take no ice in your drinks?

Stand on your head and try to run on the wall if your burger doesn't have any bacon?

Can you break these habits? would you want to? OCD or just the way you like it?

Haha, good one Zyther. :D

Well I don't tend to eat much at all myself which is certainly not "normal" as you put it. I can easily go a whole day on a bagel and some milk. Granted I won't be in top shape that day, haha. :4rofl: Definitely because I smoke cigarettes I think.

I'm the opposite with the cutting of food. I tend to eat with many bites and usually the last to finish.

My numero uno pet peeve to do with eating food is when someone is eating next to me that eats/chews with the mouth open. Argh! That smacking sounds makes me want to climb walls! lol.

Oh and I have a serious aversion to fatty foods. I tend to feel sick if I eat baked goods or meats that have a certain kind of fat in them. Or something... Not really sure what it is but if I even smell a food that has the wrong kinda fats I'll get a small sick feeling. Very strange... At the top of my foods blacklist is sausage. :sick:

There yah have it. My crazy food ways. :lol:

*lies down on couch and waits for next therapy session*

Well I can say Ive never been the type of woman to only order a salad! Especially if someone else is buying! :sick:

Most times though I do simply forget to eat, or am not hungry enough to so Ill nibble on a little something here and there.

Of course these two rules change all the time depending on whats on the menu! :4rofl:

hehe I have to be the slowest eater of all time...since time...oh dear but yeah I eat if I am hungry or I don't eat at all... I have to cook every day because I have kids but I don't join them everyday though I will sit with them. I am aware I can go an unhealthily amount of time without eating. Don't get me wrong I love food and cooking I just don't want it everyday. If I had to eat everyday I'd either eat once or I'd snack....not great eh but thats how I am.

My pet hate is, people that eat like Schot says so you can see it, I want to gaffa tape their gobs shut! Can't help it but it drives me mental! other than that can't think of any.... maybe a refusal to try new things no matter how revolting they may seem....they can be the tastiest suprises :4rofl:

Oh I can't stand a snob either. Ok I can go with the open mouth, but don't talk! People who do that tend to also spill, come on! That's just omg unforgivable, and do the food no justice.

Well I'm intolerant to lactose and many food additives like msg, so its kinda bothersome to eat with me. I always ask, and that's y I go to the same restaurants all year round. Don't ask me to try a new place if you can't stand a volley of food additives Q lol. :4rofl:

Other than that I'm really flexible. I'm both a heavy and light eater, my mom called me on camel diet. I can eat a hearty meal and eat nothing else for the day, same with water. But I know its not healthy, I know! I do try to nibble at least during mealtimes, but sometimes I just have to skip some meals.

I tend to eat one big meal a day and snack. I have this thing about eating at other peoples houses, well, I just dont do it with the exception of family members. I also have this phobia of under cooked pork, hamburger meat, and chicken. Yeah I am weird I know. Oh oh and I have to have ketchup or ranch dressing with most meals that include meat.

• 5 months later...
I eat things 1 at a time, I like to enjoy my flavors :) for example

:o

omgod, LOL... when I see peeps eat like you I...I ... *choke sputter* That's like my friend who turns his plate around in small incremental portions one degree at a time as he slowly eats all of the ingredients one after another...

HOrror!

;)

gogo

p.s. I'm a pretty fast eater, though sometimes when I get in a mood, I like to slow it down a notch...specially when others have paid for a fancy meal :P

Oh and I have a serious aversion to fatty foods. I tend to feel sick if I eat baked goods or meats that have a certain kind of fat in them. Or something... Not really sure what it is but if I even smell a food that has the wrong kinda fats I'll get a small sick feeling. Very strange... At the top of my foods blacklist is sausage. :)

Im sorry....

My dad's side of the family is slavic (the white carpathian region from what I've been able to research so far) and so for me fav food si stuff they cook, keilbasa , peroghi, cabbage and noodles, stuffed cabbage, etc ... all made with LOTS of butter. not entirely heathly but OHHH so good ... especially peroghi the 2nd day when you reheat by frying them with butter and onions ...... *sigh* I might have to make peroghi soon (the store bought ones arent nearly as good as mine) just so I can reheat them later.... with a side of keilbasa ....

• Like! 1
Genenut that sounds like Polish food which I grew up on and still LOVE to this day f080.gif

Almost the same thing. My grandparents spoke polish but their parents werent from poland. One side goes back to a little town called Kijo and another called Puste Pole, and the other side goes to somewhere in "austria-hungary" which could be quite a few locations now ... the ships didnt track home towns very carefully around 1900, they were just another immigrant at the time. As far as Ive been able to figure out Kijo and Puste Pole are in the white carpathian mountains. As to which country to subscribe them too I havent a clue with all the border changes in the last 120 years. Neither town is large enough for me to find using the internet accurately.

But the food was always good and plenty of it (both grandparents went through the great depression here in the US, grandma cooked for an army partly due to the ghosts of not having enough from her childhood) Now if I could just find someone who can make pagatch (sp?) ... think slavic pizza ...

• 3 weeks later...

I love it when mom gets the hankering to do up some of her family's food, it's always a good feed. But I did make her jealous a couple of years back, My father got real sick while he was living down in Florida and when I when down to see him my brother, his wife and I found a small family run Polish restaurant and we called her and read her the menu to ask what we should order.

Genenut that sounds like Polish food which I grew up on and still LOVE to this day f080.gif

Almost the same thing. My grandparents spoke polish but their parents werent from poland. One side goes back to a little town called Kijo and another called Puste Pole, and the other side goes to somewhere in "austria-hungary" which could be quite a few locations now ... the ships didnt track home towns very carefully around 1900, they were just another immigrant at the time. As far as Ive been able to figure out Kijo and Puste Pole are in the white carpathian mountains. As to which country to subscribe them too I havent a clue with all the border changes in the last 120 years. Neither town is large enough for me to find using the internet accurately.

But the food was always good and plenty of it (both grandparents went through the great depression here in the US, grandma cooked for an army partly due to the ghosts of not having enough from her childhood) Now if I could just find someone who can make pagatch (sp?) ... think slavic pizza ...

Both are very small villages actually. Pusté Pole (Kriványpusztamező in Hungarian) didnt even exist as an independent village until the 1950s I think, it was part of Krivany.

Kijó is the Hungarian name for the other village, its known as Kyjov in Slovakian.

Both are in Slovakia, though the region was part of Hungary, later Austria-Hungary until 1920.

Pagáč is easy to make, though Im not sure how the authentic recipe goes. What Ive had was something like this

What pet peeves about food do you have?

Whats your take on eating?

Do you eat in a way thats not considered "Normal"?

Do you drink your drinks last?

Take no ice in your drinks?

Stand on your head and try to run on the wall if your burger doesn't have any bacon?

Can you break these habits? would you want to? OCD or just the way you like it?

biggest pet peeve is when food is not seperated on the plate, definately don't go for say gravy from mashed potatoes intruding into the corn area.

eating was always odd growing up. my mom came from scotland and used very little spices, so extremely bland and dare I say stereotypical after my years working in uk. she had spices as old as me, which is quite old at mid 30s.

used to love eating up until a few weeks ago, since tonsil removal and sinus surgery, really put a different spin on eating when things don't taste right. losing lots of weight, prob 10 pounds so far. stopped eating out alot, what is the point when special food doesn't taste special. seems that I really can't taste salt mostly after operation, probably some of the other tastes are a bit off also.

my eating is normal to me as it is my frame of reference. wife seems to think I go a bit overboard on red meat, but the stuff is great. I can't fathom living without meats in the form of beef, pork, mutton, elk, deer, antelope, buffalo. and yes I do hunt for the wild meat. :)

drinks comsumed throughout the meal as I feel thirsty. so addicted to caffeine that I have to get a few energy drinks, coffee and/or soda into system first before food. ice in drinks just depends. if I go out, certainly. if iced tea at home cold enough, no need. if it is brand new, certainy with ice as it would be hot/warm tea without the ice.

burgers are often best with bacon and cheese. won't stop me from eating them if it is absent though. been venturing out to eat veggies and such on burgers at a place called red robin here in the states. might as well try something new, might be good.

don't see a need to break habits, other than hoping full sense of taste returns.

Well now..love chips but wife wont let me eat them. Thinks that because her cholesterol is highish then I shouldn't eat chips. Love fried food, but that also is rationed especially as I am a veteran 'beef dripping' adict. Can't take salads seriously, like a lot of folks from the north of GB. Only drink WITH a meal...mebbe one little glass before. Wine of course - at about a dollar a litre. Side salads turn me off, I think because I like hot food . The French eat piles of lettuce leaves which they call 'salade'. I can't take to prepared supermarket meals or (sorry) Macdonalds. In fact we get everything from source and (did I complain about my missus) bless her she loves cooking. But given home cooked food, I will eat almost anything. And among the things I like about France is that, except in the best restaurants (which I can't afford), I can mop my plate clean with good fresh bread...the savouries not the puds. Terrible bad manners in GB.

After getting on for 80 years of serious abuse my old gut is bearing up well...touch wood, crossed fingers..

BUT has anyone come across Gazpacho. A speciality of the south of Spain. It's the only thing I cannot take. I keep trying, determined not to be beat, but it makes me sick..sick..sick.

Bon appetit to all. Hey wife, what's for afters?

Edited by Bondbug
  • 2 years later...

My food habits are also eating ingredients one at a time, I'm not a normal speed eater, but give me something like stirfry or fried rice or where there's a selection of vegetables, meats and starch all mixed together, and I'll stay busy for a looooooong time, picking out all the carrots, then all the zucchini, then etc etc.

If I do get take aways/fast foods like KFC/McDonalds, McD's being my least favourite, I ALWAYS eat the fries first, I can't stand cold fries, it is disgusting!

I usually just drink water with a meal, but sometimes juice or maybe a glass of wine.

BUT has anyone come across Gazpacho. A speciality of the south of Spain. It's the only thing I cannot take. I keep trying, determined not to be beat, but it makes me sick..sick..sick.

Bon appetit to all. Hey wife, what's for afters?

We serve gazpacho at the restaurant where I'm pastry chef, with some of my home made avocado ice cream, roasted tomatoes, basil pesto and a garlic and lime foam. very delicious!

:chef:

Delta!

Edited by Delta!

My food habits are also eating ingredients one at a time, I'm not a normal speed eater, but give me something like stirfry or fried rice or where there's a selection of vegetables, meats and starch all mixed together, and I'll stay busy for a looooooong time, picking out all the carrots, then all the zucchini, then etc etc.

Hi Delta

Well. I know that, let's say if you have three items on a plate, veggie, starch, meat... like one of my friends ALWAYS has to eat one after another off the plate WHICH DRIVES ME NUTS :crazy:

Are you saying if you're served a bowl of mixed fried rice, you'll really pick out each ingredient one by one then move on to the next, finally arriving at the plain unadorned rice for that ending? Are you trying to only each pure unadulterated flavors and don't enjoy mixing it up to see what kinds of unique combinations can be had?

For example, a "stew" is great because of synergy. You need a lot of different components for a stew to produce deep flavors, along with time. Bone, connective tissue, vegetables. When you put your soup spoon into a bowl of stew, each spoonful is a unique flavor, chaos in every mouth full ^^\

If you were attacking a stew, would you fish out each ingredient one by one...leaving you with only the broth at the end?

:)

gogo

like one of my friends ALWAYS has to eat one after another off the plate WHICH DRIVES ME NUTS :crazy:

And what is wrong with that? :mafia:

I do the same thing. :biggrin:

I never realized until a co-worker pointed it out one day at lunch. Just seems normal to me.

I use to catch a few of these little predators when I find them in our house.

Then I drown them, let them lay in the water for a day.

Then I carefully eat away the heads to make them defenseless. Then I eat them, one by one till the last of these dangerous animals is gone.

Yummy.

Eating Gummibears is an art!

I got used to water Gummibears for a day so they got bigger then the Gummibears of my siblings when I was a kid. Other reason was that my bigger sister never stole a watered Gummibear. I also watch several ways to eat a Gummibear at my daughters, pull them long before eating, tear them apart, red ones first, ....

Speaking of sorting out food on the table - a girl from my highschool class runs a little 3 people company which helps students at job interrogations: what clothes, hair style, conversations, classical dances, operas, a dinner at a fine restaurant, ... My former classmate uses to say if a dinner is mixed on the plate, eat it mixed. It is also okay to eat chicken with the fingers if citron dices and a cleaning paper are at the table. Stew and Bouillabaisse live from the mix and shouldn't be sorted before eating.

If it's mixed, eat it mixed. That's my principle too.

Can't really think of anything special about my habits. Well, aside that I NEVER eat at dining table when I'm alone. Always in front of the comp. As if to not waste any seconds browsing DM and other places. :P

At one job I was very bored and kept a spreadsheet for a couple months of the number of each color of M&M's I'd get in my afternoon snack. I'd eat each color separately. The only problem is I realized I needed to track the lot numbers because each lot would have similar color ratios (I figured that out after 2 or 3 bags had zero reds).

But otherwise, I like to mix stuff together. I especially tend to mix my rice and beans at Mexican and then eat them with chips (like a dip). And peas go well mixed into mashed potatoes (which actually makes the peas easier to eat because you're not chasing them around to get them onto your fork).

And some meals absolutely should be built forkful by forkful to get the right blend of flavors. For example the classic American Thanksgiving dinner of turkey, dressing and cranberry sauce; each forkful should have a bit of each for the full flavor combination experience.

Hi Delta

Well. I know that, let's say if you have three items on a plate, veggie, starch, meat... like one of my friends ALWAYS has to eat one after another off the plate WHICH DRIVES ME NUTS :crazy:

Are you saying if you're served a bowl of mixed fried rice, you'll really pick out each ingredient one by one then move on to the next, finally arriving at the plain unadorned rice for that ending? Are you trying to only each pure unadulterated flavors and don't enjoy mixing it up to see what kinds of unique combinations can be had?

For example, a "stew" is great because of synergy. You need a lot of different components for a stew to produce deep flavors, along with time. Bone, connective tissue, vegetables. When you put your soup spoon into a bowl of stew, each spoonful is a unique flavor, chaos in every mouth full ^^\

If you were attacking a stew, would you fish out each ingredient one by one...leaving you with only the broth at the end?

:)

gogo

Well, if it is something like a stew with 2 veg, potatoes, and meat, then I usually start by picking out all the visible vegetables, eating them, just give a quick stir (or 2) and try to spot more, then I'll start with the potatoes, same story, and finally the meat, with the sauce/broth and what is left of the veg. stir fry, I'll actually scratch around till I finish one ingredient, and start with the next, unless times is short, and I must eat it quickly. It is something that I've been doing since I was really young, it always amused my parents.

And what is wrong with that? :mafia:

Just seems normal to me.

I need that control of every fork and spoon full of flavor that I'm eating. I kind of think of it like this way. If a plate has three components on it...and if you eat each component one after another, well...that's all you get, right?

You are basically

Locking in the number of components offered

Locking in the rate at which the components' temperatures are losing their optimum served heat at as you gobble your way from one component to another.

Locking out the opportunity to offer creative feedback to your hosts who prepared that wonderful dish for you at a fabulous black tie dinner party where everyone is excitedly commenting on how that small tender medallion of pork when made to kiss the pea puree is slated to become one of the year's most talked-about, no wait, EPIC food fusion discoveries made since the discovery of white bread!

Conversation overheard a dinner party

"So Sylvia, what did you think of that lobster reduction...took me five hours to get it down to that perfect consistency... was it too salty or maybe a tad on the rich side?|

"Oh. I just threw all my rice into that sauce bowl and mixed it all together. Great soup though"

Heresy!

:oooo:

gogo